Anyone get out today??

Page  <1 444445446447448 451>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 12:23pm
the gas man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Spring feels like Winter alright!!

Sunday afternoon with wind gusts of up to 35knots from the west and low tide at 4pm, thought it would be a good idea to go rock fishing. Took the paddleboard down and conditions were bleak to say the least, only a few brave peps walking their dogs and thinking “what is that bloody idiot doing!!”

Battled the cross shore wind and made it to the spot, set up and started fishing, but the cold conditions had made the fish quite lethargic. A rain squall blew through and the gusts were so strong it picked my paddleboard up and threw it about 5 meters smashing the fins clean off, luckily it was still on the reef and not floating out to sea; Started thinking that perhaps this was dumb idea…

Moved the paddleboard to a safer part on the rocks that provided a bit more shelter. Fish started coming on the bite and I managed to bank 4 nice eaters amongst a few throw backs. Lots of bait fish in the berley trail, but the wind was making fishing generally pretty tough.

After an hour or so thought I would pack it in, then whammo, got a massive strike!! Fish felt BIG and ran towards the beach. Didn’t feel like a snapper as it had a lot of weight and a lot of power. Could only hold on tight as continued to pull line. Fish slowed and thought yay I might get some line back, but no, it had turned and ran straight back towards the ledge I was fishing, it then wrapped me around some seaweed and boosted northward. I kept the tension on, and won some line back but then it was off again and reefed me… thought about jumping on paddleboard and heading out to where I was snagged up, but then it started hailing!!! And the wind gusts were pretty f'n nasty. Went for the old “heave and hope” but the reef won and line snapped.

BUGGER!! Lost a good fish.
Can only guess it was a kingi, as it fought way too hard to be a snapper, and the speed and sudden changes of direction I think ruled out a ray.

The tide was starting to push me off the ledge, hail stones all over the rocks, was time to head home. Paddleboard was pretty hard to control without fins : )
Fortunately tide and wind helped me get back to the beach.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 4:56pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fishing and good on you for giving it a crack. 
Rays will do that too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 1:22pm
Salty Bones View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Lovin the reports Gas Man...keep em coming!
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man ta fish and he'll sit on the rocks and drink all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 8:10am
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out for a fish with one of my old fishing buddies and a newbie to the local fishing scene fresh from the UK...  We decided on a likely looking spot on this Hibiscus Coast for an early mission fishing the incoming tide.

Plenty of small snapper about, with the odd one being landed on 5/0's.

Once the tide got a bit of momentum, the wind picked up and the cloud cover seemed to be well set in we got a few better runs. 

The best of the day being an unstoppable snapper that ripped 50m of line and was not able to be pulled back over the reef. Tried to change the line angle and dragg it for 15 mins to no avail... gutted when the line finally pinged, it was a solid fish. Poor Steve.

here fishy, fishy fishy.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 12:32pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

And there he is! 

Good to have ya back mate
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 8:35pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out local to test a new combo this afternoon. Couldn't find my last stickbait So I tied on a 3/4oz light bulb jighead and a large savage eel. Had a couple of dozen casts off the rocks to the left of big manly but no action. Moved over to little manly and had about 10 casts off the rocks to the right then hooked up on a little king. he reefed me almost straight away but managed to coax him out or saw thru the weeds with the 50lb braid. Landed him fairly quickly after that and took him home for dinner. 82cm but fairly skinny. New reel is nice, lots of smooth drag.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 10:53pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great stuff. Any kingie off the rocks around Auckland is a meritorious effort.  Interesting that you nailed it on a big softbait, I know of others who have done well on the Slug-gos.Something in a natural colour with plenty of movement on the retrieve.

Is that a Saltist reel? It looks black with a light blue trim. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 8:37am
Titanium
Titanium

Nah it is a fin nor bait teaser. I needed a grunty bait runner for slow trolling livies off the kayak but could not afford a thunnus. This has 16kg of drag and holds 300m of 50lb braid. Came with a 7 foot stray lining rod rated 8-15kg which is what I used to land this fish, but I will be using it on my Daiwa monstermesh 632 pe 1-3 rod on the kayak. The monstermesh has landed kings to 24kg so it should be all good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 8:40am
Titanium
Titanium

The savage eel has a silver belly so it may look like a piper from beneath, they have a great swimming action too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 12:45pm
Titanium
Titanium

Definitely. I have done okay with those fishing for snapper in the work up season out wide, but big snapper tend to hack them to bits. You can melt them back together with a match if they're not too bad.
I just got two light stick baits from Ebbtide in Australia which imitate piper and look incredible. Can't wait to give them a go in the Waitemata shallows. Last summer I got a couple of harbour kingies on small GT Icecream needle nose lures which skip on the surface like fleeing piper.

Thanks for the info on the reel. i'm looking for something to suit 30lb braid for casting 30-60g top water lures. Penn Slammer 4500 and small Saragosa are two I'm mulling over. 
You, Muppet and the other kayak boys have great fun trolling those livies, sounds very effective in the right spots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 9:35am
Titanium
Titanium

Those Daiwa bg5000 are worth a look. Really good bang for buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 10:48am
Titanium
Titanium

Sure are. I've got a BG5000 with 50lb on it, and i love it. But the 4500 size is >200g heavier than the equivalent Slammer (it's the 5000 body with a smaller spool). When the PE 1-3 rod I'm getting arrives I'll try the 5000 on it, and see if it feels okay or feels bottom heavy. Unfortunately the BG4000 drops down to 6kg drag, and i think that could be a bit 'knife to a gunfight' with an 8-12kg kingie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 1:10pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Walked along Devonport wharf today with family saw two very nice 45cm snapper landed in 5 minutes. Was nice to see apart from the fact they taking hooks out of gills without iki to the fish first so I showed them how to do which was surprising as they were asian I thought they would have known...  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:56am
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After managing next to no fishing lately finally went for an afternoon fish at Army Bay on Sunday with Deacs to target some snaps. Thought it was going to be nice and stirred up after the storm but was actually quite calm which was disappointing. Plagued by small fish destroying any and all baits. Managed a couple of pannies best going 48cm but overall pretty tame.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 12:00am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Got out this evening for the low tide down the road from home with Steve and bungel. Off to a hiss and roar with a couple of nice fish in the bag before bungel had even turned up. One probably close to 10lb which is great size for around here.

The bite seemed to drop off a bit from then on as the tide slackened off. May have to try again tomorrow where to pre low bite time should coincide well with sun down
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:30pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Poor George put them off the bite Cry

Good fishing though Jade!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:21pm
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All i could muster up was a small snapper and a KY for bait, must have killed the bite Thumbs Down..  mint night out though.

Its good to see the guys and wet a line with them again! Great to finally be back home and enjoying the local fishing. Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sassy_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:18pm
sassy_nz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

New member & first post Smile 

**have been going thru this forum for the past couple of months reading up on lots of amazing info about fishing, so grateful that its easily accessed on here Big smile so thankyou !

On Wednesday took the missus to hospital to have surgery came home around 10am and 2 hours latershe asked if we should go for a fish even tho she was sore she didn't want to bum at home all day lol so off we went to Bayswater Marina (been here a few times with only catching little snapper no keepers). fished 2 hours on incoming and 1 hour outgoing, a couple of salted pilchards casted out kept getting taken so kept repeating untill i casted one out and BOOM only just touched the bottom.... was thinking to myself this doesn't feel like a snapper as it just felt like a dead weight no head shakes nothing until i wound it in & here is our first keeper haha I couldn't believe it ! cheering an all both of us haha. 45cm snapper which was nice an fat yum yum in the chilli bin... fishing got better till high tide we caught another 45cm and two 35cm which all went in the chilli bin LOLLOL. missus caught the two smaller ones and I did the hard yards with the bigger ones haha. the gear were using is an Auratus Pro 4-7kg with Sienna 4000FE (mine) & the missus is a Ocean Rose 4-7kg with the same reel both with 8lb braid. Amazing light gear for both of us newbies which is fun on a good fight like we had today. 

Hopefully we will head out again this weekend with some more luck Wink

Ps. I think this has gotten to my head as i'm now a new owner of a Thunnus 12000 C14 with 30lb braid & Shimano Carbolite 10-15kg rod hahah

Tight lines everyone !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:42pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Welcome sassy!

Good to know the fish are right up in the harbour there. Haven’t had a chance to fish in there for a while but may do (from the boat) this weekend
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:40am
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Clap Thats awesome, its always a bit hit and miss around the bays.. until you learn a few spots and get to know the prime time to fish them. They all hold fish at different times, just have to keep trying out new areas and techniques.

Stick with the lite setups at this time of year, unless you want to target kingies.

Snapper fishing on lite braid is the go, you will get heaps more action that way.

Beef up your leader/trace if need be.

Welcome! Its nice to see the forum get a new active member. Thumbs Up
Page  <1 444445446447448 451>