low profile overheads

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: low profile overheads
    Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 9:55pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I know alot of us have invested in low profile baitcasters, like curado, abu inshore, daiwa advantage etc etc, my question is why do we  use them, when conventional small overheads will do the same job.
Most of us would be using them for drifting softies, where your maybe  casting to the front or out the sides, but many times your just free spooling out the back and letting the drift do the work, now you don't need one of those flash thingies to do that when an old penn sea boy will do the same. 
Sure if your doing a lot of casting, the low weighted reel will be more comfy but there are conventional reels that are just as light.

so were's the advantage of these low profile reels, over small conventional reels??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 1:48am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They look far kin sweet...
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aharvnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 7:22am
aharvnz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

They look far kin sweet...

what he said. Bling
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 7:30am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i used my diawa sl20 for sp duties for a year before buying a curado. it worked fine and i still use it sometimes. bought the curado for..... well.....bling i guess
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodnod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 9:35am
nodnod View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

****e, that's a lot of extra dough for the bling factor.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 9:41am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like conventional round bait casters but if it wasn't for the kayak I'd probably still have the one of my low pros (curado and revo stx) too.

My little round abu baitcaster has about 200m of backing and 300m of 10lb braid... I've probably only ever seen the top 100m of the braid, even when fishing in like 60m of water... so the low-pros that had about 200m of braid and some backing is more than plenty line.
I hate disengaging level winds but the low pros cast lighter weights that bit better, but the round casts my normal weight range much better.
I guess its like anything else its all presonal preference, my personal prefence after adding up my pros and cons is the round but I'll still keep tryin out lo-pros too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 12:15pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like them and at the moment the Revo Inshore tickles my fancy, I like the idea of being more in control on the drop in the deep especially and after have my fingers jammed by the braid with an open bail on the fixed spool they have some serious merits.

I will get one but I plan on using both fixed and over heads , I  can't cast a over head as well as a fixed spool so if its casting I will reach for the fixed spool, and in the deep an over head.... As Koro said get one of each its win win Thumbs%20Up .

Nodnod check out the history of the TAS thread...it was started for CJ LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 12:45pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Keep up moocha this thread concerns the difference between low profile and round overheads you plonkerShocked

For me its not the bling factor so much as the lower profile allows better thumb contact with the spool on the drop. Plus the auto engage is of value when the first nudge is detected. Casting they are about the same for me as I suck at casting overheads at the best of times.

Having said all that I do have a need to try a trini 12 out as the curado is a reel that is High Maintenence to keep it salt free and performing at its best.
Two high maintenence things I hate are wives and reels , both should be replaced at the earliest oportunity.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 1:34pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Boulder Boulder wrote:

Having said all that I do have a need to try a trini 12 out as the curado is a reel that is High Maintenence to keep it salt free and performing at its best.
Two high maintenence things I hate are wives and reels , both should be replaced at the earliest oportunity.

LOLLOL Classic Boulder
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 5:47pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keep up moocha this thread concerns the difference between low profile and round overheads you plonkerShocked

Whoops, I blame the change in climate from Aucks to Wellywood for the weekend for that small over sight Embarrassed

For me its not the bling factor so much as the lower profile allows better thumb contact with the spool on the drop. Plus the auto engage is of value when the first nudge is detected. Casting they are about the same for me as I suck at casting overheads at the best of times.

Not about the bling factor LOL oh thats a good one now tell the class another joke please Koro

Never a truer statement there Amen LOLLOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 12:51pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I replaced one of those high matinence jobbies about 20 yrs ago, only cost me about 100grand Angry, thinking about it now, shyte i could of bought some decent bling with that sort of dinnero.

What you say is true Boulder, about control on the drop and  auto engage.
A lot of the  round OH also have the same feature.

I use both a curado and a abu 5600   either of them do the job.
I know i got caught up in the hype when the curado was the must have, but on hindsight, for the type of fishing i do, I should have bought 2 abu 5600.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fastjig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 9:41am
fastjig View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dont mean to sound like an add, this is a cool new reel from daiwa. Thats worth a look

Daiwa Saltist HRF (Hard Rock Fish)

The name pretty much lets you know what this reel was designed for. If your fishing takes you into the rugged salt waters of the New Zealands coast the Saltist HRF is just what youre looking for if you need a tough high-capacity, low-profile reel. Designed for either braided lines or monofilament, the Saltist HRF will tackle any medium to heavy saltwater action you care to throw at it.
Daiwa has really rigged this reel for all out use in saltwater with specialized anti-corrosion treatment and 8 of their exclusive Corrosion Resistant Ball Bearings (CRBB) to give you years of use so your reel wont seize up just when you need it the most.
Rigid one piece machined aluminium frame and side plate
Extra hard titanium nitride line guide
Free floating spool
Micro click precision drag adjustment
Infinite anti reverse
Stainless steel pinion gear
7 element Hyper tournament wet drag system
Latest generation Magforce Z magnetic brake system
8 CRBB bearings
about 4kg standard drag
5 year warranty
If there is doubt, there is no dobut.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 10:01am
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the  problem i have with my bait casters is, you cant put them in gear while the fish is pulling string......gotta put the old thumb on the spool and ingage the gear.... but i still use baicasters..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 10:05am
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I thought that was the whole deal just start winding and the reel engaged?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 10:16am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by fastjig fastjig wrote:

Dont mean to sound like an add, this is a cool new reel from daiwa. Thats worth a look

Daiwa Saltist HRF (Hard Rock Fish)

Hard Rock fishClap sounds like one of these may have to be had since they were designed with me in mind.

shock me and tell me how much????? 6 big ones???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 11:10am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fastjig fastjig wrote:

Dont mean to sound like an add, this is a cool new reel from daiwa. Thats worth a look Daiwa Saltist HRF (Hard Rock Fish)

Hard Rock fishClap sounds like one of these may have to be had since they were designed with me in mind.

shock me and tell me how much????? 6 big ones???

It's like it was meant to be Boulder

Wefaknis, why can't you put the bait caster into gear when its loosing string? I've never had that problem before, in fact if I did I think I'd throw the reel away...?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 11:25am
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

HRF 8.8lbs of drag from the factory, smooth but not over gunned, the bigger PE Special Zillion would be a winner with a little more line capacity and 5kg of drag out of the box. Or the Speedmaster 200,basically a Curado 200 on steriods with 6kg drag and 7:1 ration, it can also take a power handle.
SPEEDMASTER%20200%28Right%20model%20%29
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wetdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 12:50pm
wetdream View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

I like them and at the moment the Revo Inshore tickles my fancy,

Dont bother paying the extra $$$ for the inshore, just had my SX serviced (chock full of salt and rooted main bearings) and the guy had an inshore there as well and he said other that the colour they where indentacial inside and outShocked just a marketing stunt in his opinion.
Like us on: facebook/stanleysigns.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fastjig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 4:28pm
fastjig View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Boulder ,
Saltist Hard rock fish $389.00 ( which includeds $43.00 for Helen) on the shelf in about a week and a bit.

Cheers
If there is doubt, there is no dobut.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 5:18pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by wetdream wetdream wrote:

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

I like them and at the moment the Revo Inshore tickles my fancy,

Dont bother paying the extra $$$ for the inshore, just had my SX serviced (chock full of salt and rooted main bearings) and the guy had an inshore there as well and he said other that the colour they where indentacial inside and outShocked just a marketing stunt in his opinion.

Been down this track, inshore is different.After 3 years mines still going and has caught alot of fish..the standard revo that i owned before the inshore was available lasted 1 trip,the 2nd revo lasted 2 trips,the 3rd revo lasted 0 trips and crapped out on the line winder getting spooled..inshore revos are sweet and as good if not better than the curado..
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Page  123 4>