Tying Pete's Popper!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tying Pete's Popper!
    Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 10:14am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are any number of different popper style flies out there and it's no secret on here my all time favorite style is the crease fly. However, the crease fly can be messy and time consuming to tie. Pete Morse came up with an extremely simple popper made from inexpensive materials that anyone can whip up in very short order.

It can be left pure white (As Pete does) or coloured, as I prefer. I have had Kings on these from the Bay of Islands to BOP and Pete has many captures around the South Pacific on them. A few clients have used these to great effect from Aussie to the States on Jacks etc.

Here's the tying, It's very simple and designed to be fast and easy for anyone to tie. When I have time I still prefer Crease Flies, in a rush... these guys work a treat!

On the size hook of your choice (In this case a Gammy SL 12) Tie in a generous tail the material can be of your choice4. In this case I've used Green DNA Holofusion.

Cut a piece of builders foam (Obtainabale at most Bunnings, Mitre Ten etc in a range of sizes for cents per meter) and make an angle cut as shown.
Tie the narrow end in securely to the hook. and take the thread forward about 2/3rds the way up the shank.
Tie the foam down and make as many turns as you think you need to hold and then a few more. Whip finish it and cement these bindings.

Cut the thread and the face of the popper. I like to get it as flat as possible.

It's perfectly fishable just like this!!! But you can tart it up a bit. You can add eyes if you wish, on most poppers though I am finding them superfluous.

I just use some sharpies to add some colour and your done.
These things move a tremendous amount of water and get nailed by anything that hits on top....

Image: The Snapper

Image: The Snapper

www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 11:53am
kiwitroutbum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey thats cool
Ted sent me some of that stuff too.
I'm on it
Nice one ClarkThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote P-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 7:58am
P-A View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great tying Clark. That one will slay loads of kingies and Kahawais.
Best Regards
P-A
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 7:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by P-A P-A wrote:

Great tying Clark. That one will slay loads of kingies and Kahawais.
Best Regards
P-A

It has!!! It's bween a staple of mine for a couple of years....

I have been slack not posting more patterns but will make up for it. Big%20smileBig%20smileEmbarrassedBig%20smileBig%20smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote P-A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 1:53am
P-A View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sounds good Clark. I have also been up to my elbows
in normal work and guiding. The winter time is flytying time.
Have a good one.
P-A
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 8:31pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been tying a few of these flys.  When I get to 'photo 3', I try to wrap the thread around the narrow end of foam but the foam compresses and the thread concentrates into a very small area...  It still holds but does not look overly strong. Have you experienced that and any ideas on how to prevent it?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 8:43pm
Titanium
Titanium

I just keep wraqpping until I have it all bound down tight. Never been ann issue of the thread being unsecure... the foam breaks first but usually only after five or six solid hits from Kings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 9:26pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool, they should be ok I feel.  I been doing my experimental foam heads just onto bait hooks so it does not really matter if they break or look ugly. Thinking I am getting good enough to do a few proper flys, just need to get the hooks for them. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jmeyerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 2:16pm
jmeyerc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for this step by step Clark - will be trying this pattern as soon as I close down here. I appreciate these step by steps very much.

Jeanne

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 2:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

No worries... I need to do more.. I've been slacking off...