Soft Bait no good in winter?

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 10:37pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

I heard he's too busy with the Blues

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL and the red wine Wink
LOLLOL
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2-EXTREME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 1:09pm
2-EXTREME View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Need to put my 2cents worth in here.

I started with the SPs in winter 3 years ago and successfully converted every one of my fishin buddies to them because on average I was catching 10 fish to their 1 and if it was not for the SP's many trips we would have come home fishless.

I do have to add that for my first 2 years of using SP's it was anchored up with burley running, and due to my success I never got into drfiting. My most successful SP's in winter have been the Gulp 5inch GLOW Jerk Shad and the smaller CHARTREUSE Swimming Mullet. The Chartreuse SM have accounted for many Trevally over winter especially in about 4m of water.

As for GT's comment on "designed for over sand".........please stick to duck shooting or something elseThumbs%20Down.......actually don't bother doing anything, Matt should extend his show for another 30 mins and take out the Outdoors slot. Thumbs%20Up

Anyway back onto the sand thing..it was very strange when a few weeks ago down at Whitianga fishing in close at Devils Point with no burley, we were flicking the Gulp CAMO 4inch baits in, hitting the rock face then dropping into the water and down into the weed and what do you know..... 4 snapper landed in succession weighing between 7 and 9lbs no sand to be seen only rocks and kelp!!!! Big%20smile

As we all know it is generally harder in winter as virtually anyone can catch fish in summer when its going crazy. Winter soft baiting requires more technique and a lot more casts.

Now that I am on a PWC instead of a boat this winter, my techniques will need to change again. Lamp

"DRY YOUR EYES PRINCESS THE PAIN YOU FEEL IS ONLY WEAKNESS LEAVING YOUR BODY"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 2:14pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

geeze finatic you know i ment to put big bi lemon!.

she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phecda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 3:22pm
Phecda View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The reason why SP's are no good in winter, is because all of us are sitting here at our computers discussing why SP's are no good in winter!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 4:13pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL And GT is too busy getting pished?
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phecda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 5:49pm
Phecda View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Perfectly reasonable, I say. Now that beer is cheaper than fuel...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 5:58pm
bush View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

plenty around still, just got back from catching 12 snaps to 50cm in 2 hrs - on the sand in the floating shark bait -  just got to brave the wind and surf.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 6:36pm
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sp's are sweet in the winter. Water temp today was 15 degrees. I used three softies, Strike King, Squidgies and Bass assasin. Caught a couta, a shark, 3 gurnard and 7 snapper. All in 2.5 hrs. Not a work up in sight
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phecda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 6:36pm
Phecda View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Did you catch them with that plastic bottle as a lure then?LOL

Hey good stuff and a nice catch, Bush
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fluffy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 7:31pm
fluffy1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

One of my favourite wiinter tricks is to set up a couple of anchored berley stations (with bouys on them), and drift past fishing your SP in the usual fashion. If you do a dummy drift first to check tide / wide, and plant your stations as you go, you should be able to run back to the top mark and repeat at will. Leaving them in the water for an hour or two while you go off somewhere else doesn't hurt either. Key is to make sure wind is not blowing you off the tide, otherwise your time in the berley trail will be minimal.
For weights I just use lumps of steel - as opposed to a full anchor and warp....
Saw you drive past too Rodholder - ya bugger.... Good luck out there, looks terrible out there. Looking forward to the reportThumbs%20Up

Good thinking fisherman.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapazapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 8:45am
snapazapa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good idea for those burley bouys,might try it me self ,I too have had some disappointing trips latley but with the tips shown here I will have to refine my techniques obviously.

AS for gt I think he needs to move on and let a real fisherman do the show,wonder why he dont come on here and defend his statements
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2-EXTREME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 10:52am
2-EXTREME View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My next plan for when fishing around exposed foul/rocks/island when all is quiet, is to have pre cut the small pink salmon burleys into 4 disks and repacketed. These will then be thrown into the wash  areas as needed and will be just soft enough to instantly start dispersing, then I will just starting casting and wait for the activity to start. Then you can have the burley right in where it needs to be.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 11:20am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by snapazapa snapazapa wrote:

AS for gt I think he needs to move on and let a real fisherman do the show,wonder why he dont come on here and defend his statements
Because he's to busy with his Captain Morgans, seriously the guy is a t**l. Heard some stories about how he tries to get himself invited on big flash boats. Muppet
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 12:16pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I just watched the Geoff Thomas DVD on fishing soft baits, funny but it didn't say anything about them not working in winter.  In fact, there is a segment filmed in the Coromandel in which he states that it was filmed in the middle of June???

Personally I can't claim too much success with soft baits any time of year but this has been my first year at trying them, perhaps there is still hope??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2-EXTREME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 1:32pm
2-EXTREME View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Murph Murph wrote:

Personally I can't claim too much success with soft baits any time of year but this has been my first year at trying them, perhaps there is still hope??

Remember the old saying "if you keep doing what you have always done, then you will keep getting what youv'e always got".

If you have had no luck with SP's just keep trying different things until you find what works for you. I have been fishing with a mate next to me that has had the exact same rod, reel, line, leader, jighead and soft bait and after 1 hour I was up 10 fish to his 2. This was a true sign of technique as I had been using SP's for a year and he was on his second trip out using them. You will get there and when you do, you will be totally converted.

Not saying that you are.... but the ones who seem to struggle in my experience the most with changing over to SP's are the fisherman who have never used lightish tackle and always fished for anything with 10kg+ mono a 15kg 5ft long boat rod, no technique and generally the rodholder would do just as good as job. I have always used a max 4kg setup unless targeting kings and big moochers. So 90% of my general fishing was on the lighter stuff and always straylining and using a very refined technique. There is only one person within the circle of people that I know that possibly could outfish me. Main reason is technique and understanding/learning about what is happening and what the fish are doing especially when they are softly mouthing the bait etc... Fishing heavier gear you can detect nothing usually. What also surprises me is no matter how many people I have outfished boat fishing and landbased very few ask questions to try to understand and learn what I am doing differently to them.... I don't get that.?

Anyway keep on trying as you will get there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 6:27pm
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

CryUnhappyConfusedEmbarrassedShockedOuchAngry...those are 7 reasons they don't ask...but I couldn't find the best one PRIDE.LOL.  I've got so much to learn I'm happy for anyone to offer helpWink
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tongan Terror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 8:01pm
Tongan Terror View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by roddholder roddholder wrote:

dont tell anyone but i went out on tuesday off papamoa, 13.4 deg water temp. on the sand and we got a bin full of fish, 14 snapper, 2 ky, 4 gurnard, 1 jd and 2 trevas. all on softbait. gulp lime tiger and neuke chick.
  gulp is the only bait for our boat.

I am a metal head jigger but have had great success over the sand at papamoa in the last couple of weeks in fact I got my pb snapper on softy two weeks ago yay lol.
I was wondering If the line im using is the weight most of you use?Im using 4.5kg braid with a 20lb flouro leader and am mainly using the five inch lime tiger and other shads what is the "standard line weight"
Dont get huge get massive
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2-EXTREME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 8:09pm
2-EXTREME View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah accura, that's what most would be using.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 8:19pm
Titanium
Titanium

3.6kg braid 20lb supple trace. I've gone off the flouro. You can get away with the light trace as from memory every fish I've ever caught on SP's has been lip hooked (or foul hookedLOL)

Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 10:41am
jerm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

At the risk of ridicule no doubt, I'd like to defend Thomas and Sinclair. Pioneers of fishing telly, I don't think that they deserve some of the accusations leveled at them in this thread. I wonder how many on this site have learned from early DVD's from both of these guys - no doubt many forum members will have their DVD's and videos as well as others in their collections. So Geoff likes a beer - can't say I know many fisherman who don't. So occassionally he has too many - again, can't say I know too many fisherman who don't. And Sinclair....well I find it difficult to believe that given his efforts over the years, the last few being in a wheel chair, that fishing folk could knock him.
Granted, both their shows may not be considered Matt Watson calibre but at the same time, they were first, people still watch them (including many on this site) and from my stand point, they are trying to encourage people to get out there and enjoy godzones most popular sport - fishing! On top of this, both Graeme and Geoff do a lot of things behind the scenes for kids fishing and kids with cancer.
As fisherman we all have opinions and from my experience, are all experts - if someone says something different to what we think - that person is wrong. I say, cut them some slack. For my two cents worth, I enjoy soft bait and bait fishing and am lucky to fish over 100 days a year - I find fishing in my normal summer spots (the shallows of the Waitemata) in Winter, bait and burley to be more effective.....Go to town guys..!!

Page  <1234>