Soft Bait no good in winter?

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tennut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 8:21pm
tennut View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You wont have 2 zilches if you stay out long enough!!!!! Good luckSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 8:31pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

FQ - you would be welcome in the winterless north harbour. U might need a passport to get over the bridge!
I have some ideas for the shallows.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 10:27pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haven't looked back over my results for past winters, but I do know for a fact that I was doing a fair bit of drifting with berley in the shallows and getting good results. If I recall correctly, my most consistent results were in 10 - 15m.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 9:13am
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

dont tell anyone but i went out on tuesday off papamoa, 13.4 deg water temp. on the sand and we got a bin full of fish, 14 snapper, 2 ky, 4 gurnard, 1 jd and 2 trevas. all on softbait. gulp lime tiger and neuke chick. gps marks 178n.......perhaps not.
geofry bubbles bumbum thomas, the giggler dosnt know his ass from his elbows. thats why we gave him to you aucklanders to straighten out in the first place.
 oh, and im goin out again today, not a bait in sight. gulp is the only bait for our boat.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 9:57am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

...fishing SPs in winter is great fun, drifting near/over reefs close to islands, over the sand, shallow, deep, just a matter of finding the fish really. Fish being lethargic in winter can mean a bit more thought into catching them, and less fish overall in comparson to summer (for all types of bait/fishing) but SPs work a treat in winter.

What I find when discussing Sp fishing v's bait fishing is that in general lack of SP success and using bait-like SBs tends to be by fisho's who are still inherently using bait techniques or half/half techniques...not that I'm an expert. Find the fish - feed the fish Smile 

E.g. yes SPs will work when burleying and straylining into a reef - but this is not your typical and high-result SP situation, so using an SP may get average results - not the fault of the Sp...it's like blaming a metal jig while drift fishing sand in winter - more appropriate use of tackle or situations give better results.

Many fisho's use Gulp with a half/half approach, and that's why it works well it that situation e.g. deep water rigs dragging along a sandy bottom, the preservative is not a primary factor in the bite.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 9:58am
Rick H View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What depth you fishing in Roddholder? Have the fish move out deeper yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote N' Joy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 11:15am
N' Joy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes I think that is rubbish , Ive had success strayling back into the rocks/kelp, this summer in the early mornings, they have got smashed. Cant c why they wont work in winter espically with all the smelly burely.
"Softies all the way"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote N' Joy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 11:15am
N' Joy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

haha spelling error
"Softies all the way"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 1:42pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One of my favourite wiinter tricks is to set up a couple of anchored berley stations (with bouys on them), and drift past fishing your SP in the usual fashion. If you do a dummy drift first to check tide / wide, and plant your stations as you go, you should be able to run back to the top mark and repeat at will. Leaving them in the water for an hour or two while you go off somewhere else doesn't hurt either. Key is to make sure wind is not blowing you off the tide, otherwise your time in the berley trail will be minimal.
For weights I just use lumps of steel - as opposed to a full anchor and warp....
Saw you drive past too Rodholder - ya bugger.... Good luck out there, looks terrible out there. Looking forward to the reportThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 5:35pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

One of my favourite wiinter tricks is to set up a couple of anchored berley stations (with bouys on them), and drift past fishing your SP in the usual fashion. If you do a dummy drift first to check tide / wide, and plant your stations as you go, you should be able to run back to the top mark and repeat at will. Leaving them in the water for an hour or two while you go off somewhere else doesn't hurt either. Key is to make sure wind is not blowing you off the tide, otherwise your time in the berley trail will be minimal.
For weights I just use lumps of steel - as opposed to a full anchor and warp....
Saw you drive past too Rodholder - ya bugger.... Good luck out there, looks terrible out there. Looking forward to the reportThumbs%20Up

That sounds like a great idea Mike.  I shot out yesterday got SFA but got a huge blue code 40 - 45 cm go figure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluecoraldiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 6:25pm
bluecoraldiver View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went fishing on the yak today around the yellow buoys in Tiri channel and a workup moved towards me around midday. I then proceeded to catch 1 Kahawai and 2 snapper on a 14cm Lemon Chicken Squidgie (first time i've used these - and hey presto they work - IN WINTER)

Here is one of the snaps ready for the oven.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phecda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 11:31pm
Phecda View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That would HAVE to be one of the best cooking pics I've seen, bluecoraldiver!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 3:51pm
Gold
Gold

well we went out yesterday, and tooted going past speedy at speed, the sea was really flat and calm. water temp 13.4 deg. not the ideal for s/b as no wind and started at 11am.
started close,kys and 2 good snapper in 4m of water. then moved out to 10m. nothing. went to scallop bed at 15m and kys everywhere. small snapper as well, 30-35 cm pannies
 went out to 33m reef and good show on sounder. tarakihi so went to uncles famous flasher rigs with squid and put a few in the bin.
back into the shallow off the surf and 5 good snapper to finish off. result was a bit harder fishing than earlier in the year but with flat calm seas so it was a very good result.
my mate tried a couple of strayline baits for zilch, so s/b is the way to go. lime tiger and neuke chick the shiz.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 3:57pm
Gold
Gold

blue coraldiver, either thats a very bi lemon or a very small snapper????. dosn't look as if it would make the limit on my boat!.
still, you guys in kayaks have smaller one's i'm told?.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 4:20pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by roddholder roddholder wrote:

blue coraldiver, either thats a very bi lemon or a very small snapper????.

How can you tell if a lemon is bi?

Besides, he must've bought that snapper from the shop, because according to Geoff...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 4:46pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by roddholder roddholder wrote:

you guys in kayaks have smaller one's i'm told?.

HEY, only when its really cold!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 4:58pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Often wondered with the modern age if GT looks at this forum (which I am pretty sure he must) and if he does why has he not popped on to add to the debate Question
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 5:26pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I heard he's too busy with the Blues
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluecoraldiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 7:02pm
bluecoraldiver View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The fish was actually 35cm even though it does not look like it.

Yip the lemon is BIg. LOL One of the biggest I've ever seen. Big%20smile

PS: I never take anything under 30cm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nuclear chicken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 7:16pm
nuclear chicken View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

fark that's a monster lemon . Can you send me some seeds ?Clown
Page  <1234>