Lady Bell Point (Cornwallis)

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fiddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lady Bell Point (Cornwallis)
    Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:59pm
fiddy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking at my fishing mission for this weekend and have seen on google earth/nautical charts a dam good lookin land based spot called Lady Bell Point. I'm not sure what access is like and was wondering if anyone has been there before?
I'ts the most South/Eastern point off the Cornwallis peninsula. Anyone been there before or tried getting there?

Also got up to Martins Bay last weekend for a phish, sooo many kahawai there (nothing too big) Was quite impressed by their numbers tho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote levinlarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 9:53pm
levinlarge View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

is Lady bell the one between Bigsea and Herald bay, looks like theres a track there, havnt been there myself but looks like an easy walk if the track is as good as it looks.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 11:38am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice spotWink enjoy, lots of mullet there sometimes' and should be a few Trev's this time of the year.
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 5:36pm
SeaI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yep out to that area coming monday arvo low tide ...
Kei uta ngā ika
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OBR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 9:30am
OBR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey, is that the one the track that leads you to the Monument or something, i have been there once, tried to go back but got lost, hehe.
The bay is a big pebbels and there is a small point on the left,
if so been there, Trevs on poppers work well, or straylining, everything else gets snagged.:-(
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote khaled eid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 12:33pm
khaled eid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry but just want to know how to acess the google earth/nautical charts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote levinlarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 3:50pm
levinlarge View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

GOOGLE is your friend

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 4:12pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A guy at work fishes that area often. Will see if I can get some dirt on the place.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dirty Oar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 4:48pm
Dirty Oar View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If its the place where you park at the end of the gravel road  you can either walk straight on the track to the monument. or just right of the end of the road is a track down to a pebble beach and a good spot to land base used to fish it lots until i got a boat . Its STEEP as but sweet as . coming ups fun haha

used to always get a feed KYs small snappers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fiddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 6:49pm
fiddy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

um na i can see those two tracks on google earth but there is another bay which looks like there is no proper access to. I think it will be a bit of a bush bash mission but its about twice as deep the track from the monument.

You can download the nautical maps for all over new zealand for free at http://www.hydro.linz.govt.nz/charts/catalogue/page12.asp
It's a real help when trying to suss out new spots, that shows you the depth of water and google earth shows you the access/terrain. Great combo!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 1:43pm
SeaI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

nice link cheers
Kei uta ngā ika
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rock Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 1:55pm
Rock Fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Excellent link Thumbs%20Up
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 6:28am
welshbaz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Can't quite find Lady Bell point on a map anywhere but i've fished of Puponga point which is the SE point of the Cornwallis peninsula. You can walk out there along the rocks from the wharf about 1.5-2 hours after high tide and it's possible to walk back until about 3.5 hours after low tide (maybe even later if you're good at climbing over rocks). The outgoing tide seems to be easier to fish as the current on the incoming is pretty strong and you get loads of weed collecting on your line. Only seem to be catching Kahawai there lately but have had gurnard and snapper previously. Not that I'm complaining, the KY are in beautiful condition at the moment and make great eating when treated with a bit of love. I've seen an enormous stingray there a few times cruising up and down the coastline with it's wings flapping out of the water occasionally, awsome sight but I wouldn't want to hook that monster.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fiddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 3:53pm
fiddy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have a look on chart ...NZ4315, It's on the bottom left of the chart. It doesnt look like theres any access around the rocks so Im gona have to find some friends who are game enough to try bush bash it to try to get there... I'd be game for a big sting ray, how do you release one once caught from land?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 6:35am
welshbaz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

did you manage to find a way to get to Lady Bell point yet? last sunday I tried walking out from the wharf at 2 hours after high tide and it's doable but it's long and rough walk. It takes about 40 minutes and you need some good boots or the soles of your feet get battered by the rocks. I didn't quite make it all the way because there were a couple of guys already fishing there. I ended up fishing off the point at the edge of the small bay instead. There were lots of juicy Kahawai around and there was a pod of orca a couple of hundred metres out which made for a great day out. The current was pretty fast and was strong enough to drag a 4oz Break out sinker along happily.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fiddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 7:13pm
fiddy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

sounds good man, na i didnt get round to it. but i think it is impossible walking around. From the wharf you can get to a beach called big sea bay I believe but then there is a cliff face (looks like it from google earth) then after that there is another beach cut off at both sides. I believe it is called torea bay.
I'm trying to upload an ariel photo so hopefully this works.
No denied for some reason
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fiddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 7:35pm
fiddy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was lazy today and just wanted to get my line wet so we hit the old cornwallis wharf for a fish, luckily it was rainin a little so it kept most people away. When we arrived we saw a man leaving with a decent kahawai so it wasnt looking too bad.
After about an hour and a half of nothing I felt something bigger than a sprat tug on my line. Then it took it, I thought it was gona be an average kahawai, then when i got a bit closer it looked even bigger! I started to get real excited when it got to the surface and realised it was a barracuda. About 65cm, what a pitty that wasnt a kahawai, all good fun tho, but nothing to eat... : )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marauder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 8:29pm
Marauder View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

had a good day of the wharf with the soft baits the other day, always manage a couple of good kahawai when i go, each time i have been i always see some nice kings swimming along the wharf, but can never get them. and barracudas are a pain in the a**se this time of year. just change your bait to something that doesnt have a silvery shine and it generaly stops the plague.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fiddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 8:49pm
fiddy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cant get them? thats called bow fishing, lol
Never seen a kinghy there before but I havent gone there too often to be honest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marauder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 9:09pm
Marauder View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

last time i went out there a guy told me that he got a 52lb kingy this summer. thay are always there, the mrs had never seen a kingy before and got the shock of her life when she saw one take out a small ky right below her feet.

Page  12>