Crimps or Knots

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crimps or Knots
    Posted: 25 May 2008 at 2:26pm
james View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When I am live baiting I am tying a five turn uni knot to my live bait hook and looping the other end and crimping at the swivel end of the trace.  I'm using 80lb fluro and thinking of going up to 120/150lb fluro shoud I keep using a uni knot or should I crimp at the hook end as well, don't want to hook and lose a big fish because the knot has slipped.  What do you guys think???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote INOV8A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 2:49pm
INOV8A View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You can tie a knot with up to around 200lb trace. Over that and I would be crimping. It becomes too big a knot and the hook can hang funny if you tie with anything bigger.
INOV8A out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 3:28pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I tie for anything under 150lb usually and crimp from then on up on both ends of the trace of course.

Comes down to how comfortable you are with your knots on the heavier gauge line. If not comfortable then by all means crimp it but just like with your knots, make sure ya do it right.

Found a good article on the site on crimping some time back. Worth the read
http://www.fishing.net.nz/index.cfm/pageid/56/view/yes/editorialID/295
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 5:35pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wondering if wire trace crimped would be better?
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarNorfOwnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 6:30pm
FarNorfOwnage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

fluorocarbon's harder/denser than standard mono nylon and a bit trickier to tie 100lb upwards which is the main reason I crimp it (personal preference though).  I start crimping f'c at 100lb using tiny anodized copper crimps (much better than the alluminium jobbies), end result turns out more discrete and reliable than any knot.  But with standard nylon leader will tie anything upto 200lb.

out there doing it or STFU
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 6:40pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

good point FarNorfOwnage. Must say i'm crimping the 120lb fluro i got but just knot the mono 
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 6:42pm
james View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks for that link jk. i guess it does not matter if you crimp or use knots, just do it right the first time when the line comes tight it'll be all good   Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwinoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 7:29pm
kiwinoz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i'm happy to tie nail knots in mono up to 250lb, under 90lb i find myself tying uni's. flouro is just damn hard to work with so its probably not a bad idea to start crimping when you get over 100lb.

kurt
one more parking ticket and i'm going to snap!