Solunar Theory - Fact or Fiction?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solunar Theory - Fact or Fiction?
    Posted: 06 May 2008 at 10:47pm
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

I have been reading about the solunar theory which states (basically) that the best time for fishing each day is when the moon is directly over head or underneath the exact spot you are. When the moon is in "transition".

Link to article here www.solunar.com

Any support or not for this idea?

And any application soft baits or is it more applicable to bait fishing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TwoSpoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 11:12am
TwoSpoons View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It ties in with the consenus that the Manukau fishes best on the outgoing tide, and it worked for me yesterday.  For the Manukau the moon is at zenith around 2.5 to 3 hours after hightide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 1:47pm
Amateur View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ken Ring does a "fishing by the moon" column in NZ Fishing World magazine. He states much the same, moon directly over north or underfoot for best fishing. He also states that the Manakau fishes best 1 hour after high tide, 2nd best 1 hour after low tide, Waitemata is best 4 hours after high tide, 2nd best 4 hours after low tide.
I have only been a fishing nut for a year so my input is probably of little relivance but I have found there is only 1 guarantee in fishing, if you don't have a hook in the water you won't catch fish! Wink
No half measures!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 4:59pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

this theory wont stand up. been disproved too many times.
fish get hungry, fish see/ smell bait, fish eat. end of story
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 9:14pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thiers a much better way to tell when bite time is .....ring  Damo
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote burwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 9:20pm
burwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

that is true actually-the man has gills
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 9:22pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by burwood burwood wrote:

that is true actually-the man has gills

And very easy to bribe .......lion reds where its at Wink
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 10:08pm
Reel Magic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nah, easier than that, just watch OF2FSH, if he is eating a pie, the fish must be hungry too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 10:21pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Magic Reel Magic wrote:

Nah, easier than that, just watch OF2FSH, if he is eating a pie, the fish must be hungry too.

in the boat i take the bbq and cook up culinary delights like ...cheese sizzlers in bread,venison sasages in bread,beef sasages in bread and some times pork snarlers on bread....sauce is definately on the menu as is corona.....pies my friend are for work only Wink as an hard working bloke i need brain food ...big ben pies are "brain food"...im pushing for them to be introduced into primary schools instead of sandwiches and milk LOLLOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 10:59pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

"...big ben pies are "brain food"...im pushing for them to be introduced into primary schools instead of sandwiches and milk "
LOLLOLLOL
I had my first big ben in 1969 (  greazy spoon outfit in Taupo) & developed a likeing for the buggars on the spot.
My body shape ratio of 2x1 reflects the years of indulgence but sadly the brain power isn't in the same league.
Maybe I chose the wrong flavour?Confused
What would you recommend of2fsh?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 6:14am
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OH2FSH,
Being one focussed on culinary excellence, do you partake in the pie sandwich? Two pieces of bread, and ocean of sauce and one Big Ben's finest as filling?
Used to be the favourite at school!
T
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 8:33am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ahh the ol' pie sandwich.. been to long. I wonder what I'll have for breakfast today....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 9:59am
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wanye get yourself over to cods place i spied a frezzer full of pies and he was even trying to give them away!!!! I was tempted to grab a couple myself but went for the jigs instead!!LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 3:28pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

you guys have not tried MAKETU PIES. the worlds best...no other comes close.
the steak is my fav.

or you could try a snapper sandwich. a fresh fried snapper fillet in butter, in between two slices of very fresh buttered bread, a lettuce leaf, beetroot, heaps of mayo. and dont forget to roll your sleeves up as the melting butter and mayo drips down your arms.
this is best when just back from a hard days fishing and really hungry, a cold stubby to wash it down..........yumyum!!!
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 3:39pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maketu pies are good,big bens are good but for the best pie in the nth island go to callums bakery in papakura....they are the best Clap ...cods pies are frozen Al.....no good once they have been frozen.If kids ate pies they would soon be overweight and too lazy to get into trouble...problem solved
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 3:56pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Big Ben pie, coke, tomato sauce and nurofen extra - all the major food groups covered for a healthy nutritious breakfast.

"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 11:17am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Somewhere I read a theory which says, take note of what the sheep/cows are doing on your way to the ramp, if they are sitting/standing around doing nothing, the fish are doing the same. If they are heads down munching for all its worth, hurry up and get your baits in the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 11:40am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Very true strx7.
Also, people with fish tanks at home will notice that the fish get more active at certain times.
Mostly, this would equate with the solunar tides.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 12:23pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll bite,,... is that fish tank thing true Uncle?

All I know is you wont catch a single fish while sitting in your lounge watching tv (or in my case surfin around this site) while your off work sick because you didn't stay warm enough the last time you went out kayak fishing in torrential rain and wicked southerly winds.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 12:40pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Is true Badfish.
Get better soon---ok!
Page  12>