Size of softbait

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Size of softbait
    Posted: 06 May 2008 at 10:34pm
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

Just a quick question regarding the size of soft bait used.

Are the 5' jerk shads to big if the only fish around seem to be small- 30 cm etc?

Do the smaller fish take bigger soft baits? Or is should you be using the minnows or small grubs if it appears only smaller fish around?

Reason i ask is becasue i was out with some guys who were bait fishing and I caught nothing while they had a moderate catch of these 30cm fish.

Cheers

Macca
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 11:46am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My biggest snapper was caught on a gulp alive (7cm?) . Big snapper can and will take smaller sp's but as a very general rule the bigger the sp the bigger the snapper.
Your problem may relate to the size / sharpness of the jig head hook/ worm hook you were using. If terminal end hook is sharp you should still catch some of the little guys.
Snapper are a school fish so where there are little guys the better fish shouldn't be too far away - maybe just not hungry or stimulated enough to bite.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aquacat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 12:44pm
aquacat View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

One of the 58cm snaps I caught over the Anzac weekend at the entrance of the Weiti river, was caught on a "uncented" SP. Not available here in NZ. It was 4cm long (clear with speckles) and I had it on a 4cm long jighead of about 1/4 ounce weight. The SP went on the hook only and not even the metal section.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 12:53pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Small snaps definitely hit bigger softbaits. I don't know why but I seem to get bigger fish on the smaller softbaits and less small fish.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jack Kingfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 12:57pm
Jack Kingfisherman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

when we go out on the dinghy we use 5" jerk shads and catch plenty of snapper between 30cm - 40m
FISH,SLEEP,EAT,FISH,SLEEP,EAT,FISH,SLEEP,EAT,FISH,SLEEP,EAT.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 1:28pm
Amateur View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have caught snapper as small as 23cm on a 5" Gulp but they are rare occurances, in general I find 30cm+ snappers on a 5" soft bait, don't remember getting anything smaller than a 34cm on a 7" Gulp.
Rule of thumb I was taught was 5" baits go on a 5/0 worm hook and a 7" bait goes on a 7/0 worm hook. I have pretty much used jerk shads exclusively but am only now diversifying into pogys and grub tails, seem to require different types of hooks in different sizes for these soft baits.
No half measures!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 2:50pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

See I personally wouldn't got the a 5/0 on a 5" bait. I use a 3/0 most of the time for them. I find the 5 lessons the action a lot.
I don't use a lot of 5inch jerk shads tho these days but found you can and do catch a wide size range on them. I've had pretty small gurnard and fairly big snapper above 15lb on them.
I like big baits, bigger bodied baits too like the gulp squids (not the huge ones), pogys, grub tails and your 6"+ sluggos and the likes of your 140mm + squidgies ( I think thats the size) seem to attract deter smaller fish for me.
BUT don't rule out the likes of the little swimming minnows, they did the damage for me a while back but I gave up on trying to find 2/0 hooks. Now that I have some I'll still throw them around for anything from Gurnard to Trevs, Snapper, KYs and even rat kings seem to like em, but they seem to like anything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote throw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 6:39pm
throw View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

have had well under legal snapper take 5" and 7" baits, i think they attack at something invading there territory not always for a feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 8:30pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

when ever the fishing is slow i've decided to chuck out a 4' pumpkin seed swimming mullet... and 2 separate times on separate occasions, 1 off the rocks and 1 off the boat... i hooked up to something huge and got busted off..
i have not had that much success on the larger 7' baits but find that when i do use them i hardly catch any undersized snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jack Kingfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 11:58am
Jack Kingfisherman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ye i find when the fishing is slow down the wharf for dory, a chartruce swimming mullet 4" seems to get them.
I think it's that extra action it gives by it's self?Smile 
FISH,SLEEP,EAT,FISH,SLEEP,EAT,FISH,SLEEP,EAT,FISH,SLEEP,EAT.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 8:58pm
snapaman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

nice question was starting to think that my self average size on 5'' glups seem to be around 30cm. Had a fish last week i was useing SP and my bro was useing bait he was catching snapps around 3kg and i was catching snapps about 1kg i tried everything in my tackle box ,shape (pogys etc),colour, buy didnt have any 7'' jerks maybe it was the day ???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sea-Sharpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 9:05pm
Sea-Sharpe View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

Small snaps definitely hit bigger softbaits. I don't know why but I seem to get bigger fish on the smaller softbaits and less small fish.

I'm with you Si - catch fish on all sizes of baits but as my go to lures are usualy around 4in that is what I use the most - 2.5 and 3in baits always work better for me in workups (down here that is as they match the hatch most times)Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 9:52pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I guess its not to dissimilar to when people pick up huge snapper on small cut baits and flasher rigs. If the fish aren't quiet on the bite they may look straight past your big baits but then might go for a nibble on a smaller one. But then I'm sure it goes the other way around at times too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 8:25pm
snapaman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i am sure size does matter went out on saturday avo we caught our limit of snapps in 2 hours all were between 3-5 kg on bait. Threw out 5'' pink shine glup and the biggest must have been about 1 kg there was still good snapper there my mate was still catching them when i was SP.Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 7:48pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Badfish Badfish wrote:

.BUT don't rule out the likes of the little swimming minnows, they did the damage for me a while back but I gave up on trying to find 2/0 hooks. Now that I have some I'll still throw them around for anything from Gurnard to Trevs, Snapper, KYs and even rat kings seem to like em, but they seem to like anything.

2/0 Worm hooks are around - you just have to tell the shops that you want them.  Shops only stock what they want you to buy. 
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote burwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 8:42pm
burwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what about 8-10/0 chris in bulk packs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 11:12am
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by burwood burwood wrote:

what about 8-10/0 chris in bulk packs

these are available MOST of the time Adam.  Have just got in 8/0 Oct. bulk, no 10/0 yet.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 7:09pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chris=what do you suggest for fishing 3-4 inch softies?
 The 4/0 gammies are what I use with these baits .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 3:56pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Chris=what do you suggest for fishing 3-4 inch softies?
 The 4/0 gammies are what I use with these baits .

I'm no expert on rigging these but would suggest 3/0, 4/0 worm hooks.  As mentioned earlier, hooks that are too long are going to kill the swimming action.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 5:44pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Chris -that what I thought about the longer hooks too.
Page  12>