Frewza Alloy Pontoon Boats

Page  <12345 195>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Contract Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 6:05pm
Contract View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For what it's worth ~ took the boat to a metal fabricator today, to get the cable problem fixed (only $25.00 plus a longer steering cable !) and the engineer reckoned that the welds were "the best he had seen" and had been done by "someone who was right handed and bluddy knew their stuff". Clap  Will post add pics when I remember to bring my camera home from work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 7:48am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bump!

Would be keen to hear how the boat's going. Looking at getting something similar - a 3.8ish. It'd be far more basic with a tiller steer and no electrics, (other than a fish finder).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Contract Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 11:46am
Contract View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This set up is the best thing since sliced bread !
I would only change one thing ~ they have a built in floor & scuppers. Scuppers are a P.I.T.A ! I would suggest ANYONE buying a Stabi or a Frewza, or anyother boat with no bilge ~ that they have a sump hole of say 100 x 100 x300mm included at the transom floor. This way, any odd spalshes of water can collect there and be either drained by hand or with a bilge pump. At the moment, I get a bit of slopping about. A p#ss-off, not a problem !
The high sides is the way to go. Had 3 guys out in 36 knots (Inner Harbour AKL) when I was busting to try it out for the first time. We didn't get any fish, but we didn't get wet either ! (not seawater, anyway !)
Tiller steer high sider is around $5000 (I think). The people at Frewza are really nice obliging people ~ talk through with them, what you want.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 5:20pm
Spearsniper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great to hear you got it on the water Contract.
How does she ride?
Any chanse of a pic of the alloy cover you got made up to cover the remotes and steering coming out of the centre console.
Being a diver and always in a wetsuit, having wet feet doesn't really worry me. Putting down some swimming pool matting (the stuff made of tubing) will stop the sloshing a bit, and also raise your feet 10 - 15mm off the floor to keep them a bit drier, and warmer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 8:44pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They look like a pretty swiiish boat SmileWhen are you getting one Spearsniper?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Contract Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 10:16am
Contract View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The ride has bettered my expectations. I have had small tin boats before & anyone that tells you they are "soft" is a liar ! As I said, I was out in about 35 knots with three up & it was quite comfortable. The next day, the wind had died down and we shot across to Rangitoto from Milford (two up this time) There was a small chop coming home and my passenger was sitting in front of the console. He felt that he had been attacked by Freddie Mercury, so he came down as sat on the fish box behind me. Solved all the problems, but two little fat f#@kers sitting motorbike style, was probably not a good look ! We came back at 30 knots and the ride was VERY COMFORTABLE. The extra thick upholstery was really worth the money. Icey tek make a stock cover, but it uses foam about 5cm thick. Mine has about 12cm and the difference is well worth it.
Re the cables. I replaced the original 12 foot steering cable, with a 14 footer and encased them all in coil conduit purchased from an electrical wholesaler.
I had an engineer form an aluminium bracket (just like a downpipe braket) and we screwed this to the side of the console. This forced the conduit to the floor of the boat and then it raises up the sides to dissapear into an existing aluminium "tunnel" to the aft of the boat. It has neatened the whole thing up. Not ideal, but can easilly be fixed if someone were to buy a new rig. the secret is to buy a longer steering cable. I would suggest a 16 footer next time.
I can now walk right around the boat without having to hurdle the cables !
Figuring out an easilly worked bait board is my next project. I think I will have two ~ one up front & one aft because there is two distinct fishing areas on the boat. Two will save a lot of mucking around.
I am sorry, I have not posted more photo's ~ the weather has been rat ~excrement  or I have left my camera at work. I have had a great cover made for it (thanks North Shore Canvas) so it takes a couple of minutes to undress for photo's. Had the graphics done last week. The wife lost ~ it has been christened "FUGLY". I had a graphic made of a Witch riding a fishing rod ! I just have to try to explain to the neighbor's children, what FUGLY means !!!!!
It is not the prettiest boat on the water , but any Scotsman would be proud of her.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 8:16pm
Platinum
Platinum

Torcea - after reading Contracts review, looks like I will be getting one as soon as mine sellsBig%20smile.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Contract Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 8:30pm
Contract View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you are in the Auckland area ~ you are welcome to come around and have a look see !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote batfastard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 9:34pm
batfastard View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi contact im realy keen to come for a look.if thats ok .if so when would suit you.cheers mike
As my wife catches bigger fish than me, does that make me a bad fisherman or a great skipper.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blufin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 10:16pm
blufin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Check out  the www.reelboats.co.nz he can do the centre cosoles welding is impecable custom build for you and at a fair price
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blufin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 10:21pm
blufin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

not a bad boat but Ithink I would get annoyed with the sloping floor you need a flat floor with some toe space to brace your self that floor will get very slippery after awhile do you think
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 1:52pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You'd lose quite a bit of space if you raised the floor. Stability might suffer a bit too, shifting all that weight higher.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Contract Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 5:09pm
Contract View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not quite sure about "raising the floor"
Where did that thread come from ???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 5:11pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It was the only way I could make sense of Blufin's post. If he thinks the floor is too 'sloped' presumably he must be talking about the sides of the hull that slope down to meet the floor. In which case the only way to increase 'flat' area would be to move the floor up.

Boat looks damn good by the way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Contract Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 5:19pm
Contract View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Never thought about that. The floor is never slippery, it's checkerplate. There is a small area of "angled" floor, but I don't really consider that i would use it whilst fishing. I don't beleive in standing up to play a fish. I like sitting down on a comfortable seat so that I don't knock my beer over. All the girls say I look better when I'm not standing up anyway!
I sit on the Icey tek and brace against the side of the boat. That way I can always reach another beer or slice of Bacon & Egg pie, right under the seat!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 5:45pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Contract
Dose the water run to the back?
and if so, just for now why don't you just stick a big sponge in each cornerWink until you decide what would be best...
BTW where is all the water coming from?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 5:47pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Spearsniper Spearsniper wrote:

Torcea - after reading Contracts review, looks like I will be getting one as soon as mine sellsBig%20smile.
Can't wait for a sample there SpearsniperWink It looks like a bit of youLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 8:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

Maca's stabi lets water in the scuppers if they are not tied up. I assume this will be the case with the Frewza as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish food Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 9:11pm
fish food View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

check theres no grit or build up inside the scuppers where they seal, mine sometimes let in water other times is dry as.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote batfastard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 7:51pm
batfastard View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers mate for letting mrsb and myself look at your wee baby.looks good.top value for money.
As my wife catches bigger fish than me, does that make me a bad fisherman or a great skipper.......
Page  <12345 195>