Makara Groper

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Makara Groper
    Posted: 04 May 2008 at 5:43pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not the puka variety unfortunately. Went for a dive down the coast from makara with a new diver to show him the way of the tarakihi cull. Towards the end of the dive I headed out to my usual spot to have a look for crays. Inside the cave I kept hearing loud grunting noises and after a while found a medium sized BSG in a deep crack. Pretty unusual to see one down this way. Unfortunately I scared the hell out of him trying to pull a cray out just next to him, he took off but I could still hear the grunting so he couldn't have gone far. Here's hoping he's made that cave his home for a while.

The guy who came with me was using a hand spear less than 1m long and a pair of rubber duck fins. He still managed to get down amongst a tarakihi school in 16m, which I thought was pretty good going. Unfortunately the tarakihi (big ones) were a bit elusive so he shot a butterfly perch instead. Pretty close to the NZ record too, just under 1kg...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 7:31pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Geez Dave, that title had me near piddling myself. Good luck with your quest....
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 10:03pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've caught a few pup groper at Makara in winter in less han 20 metres, on line, not spear!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kuuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 12:05am
kuuni View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

About a month ago we were up at matauri bay and saw a BSG hanging out in a cave about 4m deep. Pretty unusual spot for such a fish I think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 7:30am
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They seem to have a pretty broad depth range - I have seen them in shallow water heaps, especially at the Kings
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 9:55am
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah they are common in shallows.  I saw my pet one in Oke Bay again last weekend.  Has been there a few years now. Saw two of them in there once.  I never heard of s SBG being that far south, Dave.  Sure it was not another related groper?
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 10:23am
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

How big is your pet one RQ? I'm keen to poke a camera at one but so far I've only found 2-3kg jobbies. They seem really shy at this size and getting them to come out into the light has proved problematic...
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 11:31am
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should have shot It for a positive ID Dave LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 12:29pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

SBG have been found as far south as Jackson's Bay I believe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 12:32pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is standard size - maybe 3 or 4 kg/rugby ball size. He comes out sometimes, and I almost always see him there.  He lives in a crack, and hangs around out the entrance most of the time.
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 12:44pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by TheSnapperWhisperer TheSnapperWhisperer wrote:

Yeah they are common in shallows.  I saw my pet one in Oke Bay again last weekend.  Has been there a few years now. Saw two of them in there once.  I never heard of s SBG being that far south, Dave.  Sure it was not another related groper?

Flick me the GPS marks and I will go and feed him for you
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 12:55pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It looked like a bsg i.e. short fat and dark. Didn't seem to have the big undershot jaw a puka would have, looked more like the tropical grouper shape. However it was pretty dark in there, only about 4m vis and at the back of a cave so not that sure about the colouring. Do convict groper etc come this far south??

A bsg was caught near makara by a line fisho on a charter boat, I think it was last year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 1:22pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Convict groper are deep water species. Sounds like a BSG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 1:25pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I reckon if we carried torches we might see a few more ????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 1:55pm
Eric de Vries View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not often tho do we target crays unless its pretty dead and or the viz is sheit.

http://www.southernbluefins.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kuuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 11:47pm
kuuni View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What is big for a BSG? The one we saw was about 90cm long, looked like it might have weighed 8-10kg? Not sure exactly but it was bigger than any snapper I've got :P
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 7:34am
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They get up to 80-100kg I believe, but the biggest I have seen around NZ (rather than Kermadecs) was about 30 kg at the Three Kings. Average on mainland I would say would be 1-5kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 7:58am
tom1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've seen a few at Matauri bay, or rather that bay next door with the houses, all in shallow <10m depths.

Would say matai bay would be a good spot to film them too, I spent 3 days up there once and say one every day, and not the same one, all different sizes.
All good size fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearo_steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 12:51pm
spearo_steve View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've seen them at Deepwater Cove and Mahinepua before. The Deepwater Cove one seemed to be free swimming, but the Mahinepua one was in a cave. Should be easy enough to film though as he came out to see what I was up to.