Jig Star Swivel Heads

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jig Star Swivel Heads
    Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 11:23am
wolph View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey there,

I've got a pack of these and tried to give them a go in the weekend.  Had some size 3 and 4 VMC worm hooks that I was going to attach to them, and was eager to go.

Well f*ck me, there was no way I could get the worm hook loop on the keyring swivel.  Has anyone else has this problem?  I don't want to have to use an additional connector, and ended up wrestling with the darn thing for a good 15 mins before I gave up and just used the Nitro's.  Any tips for these would be much appreciated.  No idea how they easily got the worm hook on in the pic below.

Gripes aside, how have people found the action of these swivel jig heads?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote studio1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 11:31am
studio1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

some split ring pliers are the answer - they will open the rings up easy once you get the knack
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 11:40am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

wolf, could the problem be with the make of hook you chose? ( eye too small)
I don't have any VMC's so can't compare but the Gamakatsu Monster worm hooks will fit.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 11:52am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Use the monster gammies,buy a cheap pair of split ring pliers and you will be away laughing...the swivel heads work well with the gammie hooks and a scented bait .Put the rod in the holder and drag them along the bottom ...
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 12:43pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've not had to much trouble with using normal needle nosed pliers on these, my split ring pliers are a bit to big for these small rings and I didn't want to buy a new pair. Worth a try if you already have them but it is easier with the right pliers for the job (being slpitring pliers). The owner straight shank hooks are good on em too, nice big eye and wont get caught up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote studio1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 12:50pm
studio1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i paid about $12 for some small penn splitrings which are ok - top catch i think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 1:36pm
wolph View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks for the advice.  Looks as though I'll go get some splitring pliers and make them a permanent accessory in the fishing bag.

As for worm hooks, is the jury out on which brand is best?  Gammies/vmc/owner?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote studio1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 2:13pm
studio1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

have to get the gammie MONSTERS, the regular gammies are too weak IMHO. I've got some owner ones to try out - they look pretty good too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 2:27pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The best hook argument is so subjective, I can't even make my mind up to what is best for me. I go VMCs carolinas for the 2,3 &4/0s, Owners for the 5/0, monster gammies for the 6,8/0s Owner straights for the 7/0s and the bigg stuff there is only one, the owner 11/0. I'm sure that'll keep changing mind you, I've tried some prototypes that I'll clean out my tackle box for but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention those so for now I won't.

These owners are nice! I've not seen them in any tackle shops yet though.