Beginner SB Q's? - When, where & how?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginner SB Q's? - When, where & how?
    Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 4:52pm
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

Firstly - what a great site and forum!

I have been looking through posts but am struggling to find the real basic info i'm after.  Would appreciate any help from anyone.

I have just started trying soft baits and although have read a book AND geoff thomas dvd i feel there are some simple things neither explains very well.  Or maybe they are irrelevent... hence why they are not touched on.

I've tried soft baits 3 times now around the Tiri channel and whangapaoa peninsula and had 1 snapper and a pretty decent KY.  But thats it.   That said the bait fisherman did no better on these occaisions.

So although I completely understand there is no set rules for any type of fishing I'm sure there is some basic things which most people consider good underlying advice to take into account.  With that in mind my questions are:

1) Is there a preferred tide situation in the Gulf for SB or normal fishing for that matter? i.e. incomming, outgoing, Turn of high tide?

2) Is there any suggested time of day.  I know most people seem to say dawn or dusk are the overall best times for fishing.  Is this considered sound advice or a bit of a myth?

3) Drifting - this confuses me.  Whenever we drift we haven't caught a single thing.  Yet anchored and with burley have had some luck with the SB and obviously normal baits.  Should you be drifting back and forward over an area or is it best to drift a long stretch of water and just leave the SB being bounced along the bottom as the boad drifts?

4) Burley? - I take it you don't use this for softbaiting since you are drifting?

5) Lastly - how important is the action given to the lure?  I read so many varied accounts on here from leaving it out the back like a piece of bait with the current providing the movement all the way to people who are continually casting and retrieving with flicks of the wrist the whole way to the surface.

Thanks in advance for any advice.  I realise there will be no easy or definitive answer but i'm sure there is some great advice to poin a newbie in the right direction.  Especially given I'm not trying to catch trophy fish (yet) just get some fish on the line. :-)

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 8:16pm
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The best advice would be look for some birds working then just drift around the edges.Just keep trying,make sure your lure is close to the bottom.Dont give up they definitely catch fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 8:51pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by _macca__ _macca__ wrote:

Hi

F

1) Is there a preferred tide situation in the Gulf for SB or normal fishing for that matter? i.e. incomming, outgoing, Turn of high tide? I'll leave that to the aucklanders

2) Is there any suggested time of day.  I know most people seem to say dawn or dusk are the overall best times for fishing.  Is this considered sound advice or a bit of a myth? This is sound advice, quite often down here in the great Bay of Plenty, us kayakers start our paddle home as the boaties turn up.

3) Drifting - this confuses me.  Whenever we drift we haven't caught a single thing.  Yet anchored and with burley have had some luck with the SB and obviously normal baits.  Should you be drifting back and forward over an area or is it best to drift a long stretch of water and just leave the SB being bounced along the bottom as the boad drifts? I can't see why staying in one spot and burlying wouldn't work but you cover more ground drifting hence more opportunity to find fish. If you deploy burley on the drift, I would find a way to slow down eg drift chute. Let the fishes find you.

4) Burley? - I take it you don't use this for softbaiting since you are drifting? I don't I Kayak fish - keeps mr bitey away. I would if I was in a boat drifting for sure.

5) Lastly - how important is the action given to the lure?  I read so many varied accounts on here from leaving it out the back like a piece of bait with the current providing the movement all the way to people who are continually casting and retrieving with flicks of the wrist the whole way to the surface. I am quite lazy when it comes to flicking the bait. I fish mainly with heavily scented soft baits and rely on that to do half the work for me. You can just leave it there doing nothing and sometimes I do. But if you think about what the softbait might be doing underwater it still isn't siting still.  If you use a light jighead it will still have some movement in the currents or in my case drifting in the kayak. However most of the better softbait fisho's that I have made acquaintance with  generally give their baits a lot of movement and have very good success with this.

I think about fishing lots and one thing that irks me is that if there aint no fish on the bottom then you can't catch anything. Also there can be fish on the bottom, but they aint hungry. 

Makes friends with more experienced softies and learn from them what you can.  Then try what you have learnt until you get something that works for you. Hope that helps.

Softbait addict 1.5years and counting.

Turtle free since 2012
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sea-Sharpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 9:06pm
Sea-Sharpe View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi

See below for info

1) Is there a preferred tide situation in the Gulf for SB or normal fishing for that matter? i.e. incomming, outgoing, Turn of high tide?
As stated elsewhere  - talk to some locals - times of most current though will always produce - anywhere.

2) Is there any suggested time of day.  I know most people seem to say dawn or dusk are the overall best times for fishing.  Is this considered sound advice or a bit of a myth?
Dawn/Dusk - Overcast etc excellent times - but whenever you can get out for a start to get some runs on the board is best - dont get too hung up on time - more in tides/current.

3) Drifting - this confuses me.  Whenever we drift we haven't caught a single thing.  Yet anchored and with burley have had some luck with the SB and obviously normal baits.  Should you be drifting back and forward over an area or is it best to drift a long stretch of water and just leave the SB being bounced along the bottom as the boad drifts?
Drifting is the best - but only if your drifting where the fish are - drifting lets you present your boats to new terrirtory/fish all the time as opposed to waiting for fish to find your berley trail and swim up it. Usually if your shallow ie 5-6metres or under you will scare most fish after your 1st pass (unless you are casting out the sides and can therefore come back around again for another no worries.

4) Burley? - I take it you don't use this for softbaiting since you are drifting?
NO save your cash

5) Lastly - how important is the action given to the lure?  I read so many varied accounts on here from leaving it out the back like a piece of bait with the current providing the movement all the way to people who are continually casting and retrieving with flicks of the wrist the whole way to the surface.
Easy - leave one softbait drifting out the back on its own and keep yourself casting out the front imparting good movement to your lure (if its a jerkbait).

Thanks in advance for any advice.  I realise there will be no easy or definitive answer but i'm sure there is some great advice to poin a newbie in the right direction.  Especially given I'm not trying to catch trophy fish (yet) just get some fish on the line. :-)
Time on the water both on your own but if you can get in with someone experiancing success then you will get a good headstart.

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sea-Sharpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 9:07pm
Sea-Sharpe View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi

See below for info

As stated elsewhere  - talk to some locals - times of most current though will always produce - anywhere.

Dawn/Dusk - Overcast etc excellent times - but whenever you can get out for a start to get some runs on the board is best - dont get too hung up on time - more in tides/current.

Drifting is the best - but only if your drifting where the fish are - drifting lets you present your boats to new terrirtory/fish all the time as opposed to waiting for fish to find your berley trail and swim up it. Usually if your shallow ie 5-6metres or under you will scare most fish after your 1st pass (unless you are casting out the sides and can therefore come back around again for another no worries.

NO save your cash

Easy - leave one softbait drifting out the back on its own and keep yourself casting out the front imparting good movement to your lure (if its a jerkbait).

Time on the water both on your own but if you can get in with someone experiancing success then you will get a good headstart.

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fred Onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 9:27pm
Fred Onion View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Find if you are launcing fom GH and fishing Tiri channel or other close spots , try to get wind and tide. Direction of the drift is key, Hope this helps.

FORD King of the Mountain