Carp in Chelsea Sugar works ponds?

Page  123 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwifisher1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carp in Chelsea Sugar works ponds?
    Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 12:09pm
Kiwifisher1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Am a local in Birkenhead and as I have just sold my boat, (so no more sea fishing) I am thinking of having a crack at the carp in the Chealsea sugar works ponds (out of sheer desperation to bend a rod). I often walk down there and see dozens of the mongrels cruising round so wondering if anyone can give some tips on best way to catch them.
Other than needing a trout/freshwater liscence which I already have, what else should I know???
All info much appreciated.

Big%20smile
Bending rods since the 70's
www.kiwifisher.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 12:22pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What are you going to do with the koi carp?  Just use bread under a float and use heaps of ground bait like bread to bring them in.

If your that desperate why not go fishing at pupuke for Trout?  They are a lot of fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 12:38pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take up bowfishing.
The Fisheries guy I spoke to was more than happy for me to nail them to the riverbed with an arrowLOL

Might pay to touch base with the Refinery re: permission for fishing (by either method) - As I remember they were all happy with public use though, as long as you don't bung up their intakes

Pupuke is a longer walk Rusky...And even without a boat, there is much rod bending to be had in the sea off the various points around Birkenhead.
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 12:47pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dont understand why the koi have not been removed from the ponds?  If DoC is up in arms about them, surely some netting and a few electode buzzing would remove 99% of these buggers. Me & Herby have put a dent in the population

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 12:50pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take up surfcasting would be my advise. Everytime I go down to the ponds they stink to high heaven
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 12:56pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice on rusky, someone needs to do it.

Think you will need permission to fish there but just because you sold your boat doesnt mean you cant fish in the sea. Plenty of spots to fish near there. Kauri Point for one
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 1:03pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Use a small hook under a float. Piece of sweetcorn kernel for bait works good in those ponds. Be very quiet and patient.
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 1:06pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yea what bender said.  The little buggers can sense vibration if your moving around quite a bit.  Pays to find a nice place and have a snooze for a while with rod tucked under your arm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 2:01pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Kiwifisher1 Kiwifisher1 wrote:

Am a local in Birkenhead and as I have just sold my boat, (so no more sea fishing) I am thinking of having a crack at the carp in the Chealsea sugar works ponds (out of sheer desperation to bend a rod). I often walk down there and see dozens of the mongrels cruising round so wondering if anyone can give some tips on best way to catch them.
Other than needing a trout/freshwater liscence which I already have, what else should I know???
All info much appreciated.

Big%20smile

Do you require a licence if intending to fish for carp Kiwifisher?

I would not have thought so as they are considered a noxious species.

There are no trout resident there. so no problem & so long as you
release any thing considered a legitimate sportsfish, should be O.K. 
However if you holda F&G fishing licence then you are entitled to keep 
any within the allowable limit.

PLEASE make sure you KILL any koi carp caught in any event.

The ruling re licence requirement is rather curious to say the least, namely :-
If a person is fishing anywhere eels are present, without a licence, they can
do so legally by claiming they are fishing for eels. However the moment they
keep a trout or sportfish they have caught then they commit an offence.

My understanding of the regulations anyway.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwifisher1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 2:44pm
Silver
Silver

WOW, thanks for all the tips guys and for such quick responses - I'm obviously not the only one with time to kill at work, LOL.
I have sea fished the waitemata for the last 10 years and seen all the sorry souls fishing off the rocks - been there done that, time for a new challenge. I've also done/do alot of trout fishing too in the BOP/Taupo area and Pupuke just doesn't copmpare, sorry. (see my post on Aniwhenua) I also understand tho that sometimes beggars can't be choosers so no offence to those who fish Pupuke - I have often considered it but just never felt inclined enough. The carp ponds are just a 5 min bushwalk from my house and I've spent 10 years watching them lazying around so time to nail a few for a change. Saving my trout lures for Rotoiti and Aniwhenua next month.
Bazza, my understanding is that you need a licence to fish for any 'acclimatised' fish, ie anything not native, noxious or not.
As for what I intend to do with any I catch, I figured I'd throw em back as I'm told not even the cats will eat them...but do I have to keep them??? I thought the sugar refinery wanted them in there to eat the weed?
Rusky - the pic you posted, were those carp from Chelsea ponds or somewhere else?
www.kiwifisher.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 3:16pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those carps are from Chelsea ponds next to the water lillies and under that tree that overhangs the water on the corner of the tennis court.

If you pre-bait an area with bread every day, they will return and hang around the same time of day you feed em.  Use corn or floating bread about mid way or sitting on the bottom. Exepriment a bit.

Im not sure if you can fish the other pond near the factory, but this has much bigger carp up to 7kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 3:20pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

The law is that if you catch a fish like carp you have to kill them, not return to the ponds. They are classed as noxious. I don't think you need a licence to fish for them. Well, I know heaps of guys who have fished there without a licence.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 3:26pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the law states that if you are fishing in waters with either tench, perch, rudd, or trout you must have a liscence.  Sugar ponds you dont have to have a liscence, but there are the odd eels in their.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwifisher1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 3:49pm
Silver
Silver

So looks like the vege garden is gona get some extra fertiliser this winter. That makes me think, do the seasons have any effect on them from a catch-ablilty point of view.

www.kiwifisher.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 4:10pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Just throw a tuna bomb into the pond. Saves all that mucking around with bait.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 4:15pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Odd eels in there" Rusky?

When I worked there, they drained the main dam into the Waitemata for maintenance, and there were eels for Africa!  The area at the outlet into the bay was knee deep in them, and the eels hung around there for days - no matter how many sackfuls were collected!LOL
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 4:21pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mince the carp up for berley, have heard good things about it, real oily apparently.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 5:36pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree with Boz19 re using carp for berley...  Have also heard they make great snapper bait.  Maybe you should freeze what you catch and hand them around to F.net members who are still using cut baits?

Might be worth checking to see if  anyone would be keen to try them...

Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwifisher1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 10:14am
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Olfart Olfart wrote:

Agree with Boz19 re using carp for berley...  Have also heard they make great snapper bait.  Maybe you should freeze what you catch and hand them around to F.net members who are still using cut baits?

Might be worth checking to see if  anyone would be keen to try them...

Based on that comment Olfart, I'll put them in my own bait freezer for when I manage to sponge a trip out with my fishing buddies and see for myself if they make good (snapper)bait. Havne't decomissioned my bait freezer just yet... Wink
www.kiwifisher.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwifisher1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 10:18am
Silver
Silver

Oh, I assume it's a case of using light spinning gear - 6-8lb line? Do they fight hard/dirty/lazy/pathetically???? How do they compare to trout from a fighting point of view?
www.kiwifisher.com
Page  123 6>