A Hasty Marriage?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2003 at 10:04am
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chips,

I was one of the 25K that voted for you guys.

I am disapointed you didn't stick it out on your own. Like a few others on this list have said, I can't support you guys when you are with the United Nutters party.

I thought 25K for a 9 month old party was pretty amazing and I would have thought you would have been able to stand on your own this election and scored a seat in parliment.

Guess we won't know now...shame.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2003 at 5:45pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chips
I think the question is...will your vote be increased or decreased by this marrage or is it a trade off to get a seat in parliment? If it is the latter, then it shows that comprise is more important than sticking to your guns... In the early 1970s, the Values party became the fastest growing party in NZ history and forced other to actually get a enviromental policy. That was the impact that the "original" greens party had. By their public support, it changed the way politics is today. I wonder if you may have had more impact with that presure rather than an acommidation with an existing party?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matt watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2003 at 4:44pm
matt watson View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Chips I agree with everything you've posted - We can't expect to sit on our arses and let a few good men to do all the for for us - I know it's hard to motivate guy's and this won't make me very popular but Rec fishers are the biggest bunch of whingers around - Every where you go they are complaining about overfishing and the errosion of rights but I ask "Have you written a letter to the Minister'? - The answer is always "No", a pathetic excuse is often "But I signed an option 4 submission" - Thats usually only because some one has put it infront of them at the pub and said "sign this"
I think it is absolutely awesome what ORNZ has done and I will gladly lend my support through publicising the polices of ORNZ - thats provided there is a box on the ballot to tick that say's....Outdoor Recreation New Zealand.

Keep up the good work and let me know how I can help.

Matt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2003 at 6:18am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i agree with you there ...........mind you i herd some pretty good whineing coming from the commercial sector too...maybe its the pom in us...
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2003 at 5:05pm
Vig View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It seems to me that the largest recreational group or sporting body in New Zealand should be heard. The old election campaign "1 million Kiwis hunt, fish and VOTE" is a great basis for starting sensible talks with those who would welcome this addition to their ranks. The question here is what exactly is it that we are trying to protect and reinforce? The options, values and ideas proposed seem like internal squabbling, and whilst this occurs, any political power we may be able to pull together gets reduced. By allowing us to fight amongst ourselves the savvy political fascista of the Heleban fear no threat. The Diving community, Recreational boaties and Fishermen need to operate in a substantial lobby. Is there no way to pull these disparate groups together? If we could what could we accomplish and to whom would pledge allegiance? Peter Dunne is using his position of weakness to help himself. National need to win the next election to stop the incredible erosions of ownership within this country. Am I the only one who can see how they might gather enough votes? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2003 at 10:41pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ORNZ needed to ally themselves with some small political party that will be swayed by the voice we as fishermen can give it.

Why do you all think that Unitied Future, as insipid as they are, would swallow US up?? Surely, with the numbers we could muster, we could in fact wind up swamping them?

We NEED a voice in parliament. I DO NOT see any chance of a single-issue party such as ORNZ ever getting enough votes to put anyone in parliament under their own exclusive banner.

I certainly would not use MY all important party vote on such a myopic party with no chance of getting anyone in to parliament, however, in linking to a small, middle of the road party without a gnats chance of actually ever getting in to power yet still perhaps getting a handful of MPs in the house, who could THEN include a couple of dedicated ORNZ guys, well hell, that makes plenty of sense.

You would NOT be voting for United Future or any of their policies, but you would be accessing for ORNZ the necessary funding by way of a couple of MPs and their staffs to run things, as well as future political contacts to expand the ORNZ role in parliament which in turn is supporting us... but first, we HAVE to get a couple in there.

Alone ORNZ will continue to howl alone in the wilderness. If we can exert enough leverage over a small middle of the road political party to get our foot in the door, then hell, why not! Better to have a small spoon by the soup bowl than a ladle and be standing outside the door!

At first thought, I did not like this "marriage proposal", as it certainly does not gel with my political thoughts either, but on reflection, it actually is enough to perhaps earn my vote.

Yes, I actually think this could work.....

Just a thought guys,

Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2003 at 6:16am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

exactly the point weightmaster. I can-not and will not support a party that will help labour remain in power and add to that some of uniteds policys,. Nupp ,just cant do it.
Page  <12