do Koi carp take baits?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter.Sea. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: do Koi carp take baits?
    Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 10:07am
Peter.Sea. View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

went for a paddle up the mighty Waikato yesterday & saw heaps of them some of them were big mothers, has anyone tried to fish for them? using bread or corn maybe? the size of some of them it would be a hell fight.

P.C.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 10:26am
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Korn, Will do the trick I belive, Were abouts were you, where did you launch?, Its sound like something I would like to do for a bit of fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 10:32am
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Do you think you could get close enough to spear them????????????Flounder spear with a barb and a string attached (or a rod and reel attached)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 10:40am
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Did you see the news the other night... every year they have a Koi Carp Bow & Arrow fishing contest. They catch 1000's of them and then mince them up for burly.
President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 10:46am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

They are very, very shy, but will take sweetcorn kernel fished on very light line under a float. They are amazing fighters when hooked. Don't think you would take them from a kayak, normally have to be hidden ashore.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 12:50pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I used to have one as a pet when I was a kid. They get tame enough to pet them.

But since you want to kill them, do the flounder spear like BFH recommended.

The one I had as a pet liked to eat Dog Food with a little fish oil drizzled over it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 1:29pm
Toad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Peter C. you should check out Freshwater Fission. In there they've talked about koi carp a fair bit. I spear them from the grass, using a spear gun. Ive not had any luck bait fishing for wild koi, it's frustrating. Koi carp in duck ponds are easy though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter.Sea. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 2:15pm
Gold
Gold

I have got a spear gun & could possibly shoot them from the kayak with a bit of stalking. They tend to rocket off if you get too close to them. A bow would be a good option too but I think stalking them from the bank would be better than sitting in a kayak. Wefaknis, I was around the Hamilton gardens area ( waikato ) Bender have you caught some on a line? what weight line & how big a fish?  it would be a hell of a scrap wouldn't it ? sounds like fun! fun! fun!

cheers, P.C.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 3:10pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Used to catch them in the ponds at the Chelsea sugar works in Birkenhead.  1-2kg nylon, tiny hook, similar rig to the one you'd use for piper - a small float with about a foot below the water held down with a small split shot.  I don't know what the size hook was because I just bought small ones and used them. Fish were all sizes but generally half to 2 kg - think smaller than you'd see in the wild because of the limited ecosystem in the ponds we fished. Man they scrap all right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter.Sea. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2003 at 7:16am
Gold
Gold

bender, going from the size of the ones I saw & where they were I think 2 kg nylon would last about 2 seconds they really do get big in the river systems now. might have to sneak down to the river this summer & have a shot at them, even if they do bust off it'll be fun.

cheers, P.C.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2003 at 8:13am
Rainman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My mission the summer is to tackle to Koi we have in the river on our boundary. Theres some Big suckers in there. (guestimate,between 5-8kg) Tried line fishing for them last summer but with no success. Time to get out the heavy artillery, spear, speargun. Will still keep trying the line fishing but when you see maybe 6 to 10 of the sods basking and splashing in about 3" of water line is not much chop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2003 at 8:27am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Peter,

If you want more detailed info, email Mark Kitteridge at Fishing NEws. He's done heaps of koi fishing (in the wild) and may be able to offer better info for the bigger fish. There is a fine line between presenting something they will take (light line) and being able to hang onto the feisty buggers. Theres a definite learning curve but it is fun. Good  luck.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter.Sea. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2003 at 7:21am
Gold
Gold

ok thanks bender.

P.C.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2003 at 7:58pm
Toad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My spears dont fly straight through the air (spearguns must be more accurate under water). This adds some sport to spearing koi carp. I have most success when i manage to get very close to feeding koi, so close that the spear is only about 1 cm from the fish when the trigger is pulled.

Koi carp in duck ponds are accustomed to eating bread and so there's no challenge in getting them to take a bait. Waikato koi dont seem to recognise bait when they see it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2003 at 10:42pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Talked to the guy in the Tackle Shop in Huntly - the one on the main road. He has some unbelievable photos - one with a grass carp about 4 foot long. Worth a stop. He was saying the best way to hunt Koi is with a rifle -22. Sneak around banks just after flooding where the koi come in to root up the paddocks ( make a &^%$#@ mess)and pop them. Hard to hit, even a few inches under the water. But a long stick with a #9 bar hook (sharp as the scales are like armour) or bigger on the end will scoop them as they are stunned for about 10 seconds H. Remember you break the law to let one go alive.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter.Sea. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2003 at 10:38am
Gold
Gold

Hi reel deal, I don't think the public that go for nice quite walks around the Hamilton gardens would look to impressed if I was running around taking pot shots at the carp from the bank would be fun though. I don't tend to get too close to many on the kayak as I come splashing up the river, if they see you coming they slowly swim into the deeper water out of sight. the only ones I get close to are when I am in close & come over the weed & surpise them. if you stalked them you could get close enough to take a shot with a bow I'm sure. but catching them on a line would be the ultimate I think. Who did you talk to at Huntly the old man Sweetman or Peter Fletcher? their prices arn't too bad in there either.

cheers, P.C.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Akinghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2003 at 7:20pm
Akinghi View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

koi carp are good snapper bait . ( use the flesh only as the skin's really hard to get the hook through )

I took some on a trip out from Tauranga ( charter boat ) we caught heaps of taraki on it .