new boat

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new boat
    Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 6:10am
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hi every one,we are looking at ordering a new rayglass and dont know weather to go with the sterndrive option or the outboad rig,any suggestions much appriciaed,i.e which would be cheeper to maintain etc,looking forward to your replys,cheers bryan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 6:41am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

outboard for so many reasons..unless your getting a 315 yammy diesel...there a fresh 730 in the stack for sale...
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote El_Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 9:57am
El_Robbo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Rockstars talk to Wetspot who has gone for the merc inboard, albeit on a big second hand but nearly new Bayliner Trophy.  He has had a few teething troubles, not sure they are to be expected, poor maintenance by previous owner or flukes.

I compare it with buying my Bucaneer with an F225 yammy on the back.  500 hours on clock, I have just added close to another 200 in past 6 months hasn't missed a beat.

One of the other things I did when buying was to check out the forums on www.thehulltruth.com in the states.  Type in the motor you are looking at and troll through the 2 billion chats about that motor.  You will see some of the teething problems of various types and get a bit of a feeling.  When I searched HPDI & 4str I came up very clearly that the 4str were much more reliable in those searches.  There were no issues (other than overheated impellors when flushing) for the F225, while the HPDIs were either hot or cold.  Either the best motor ever run or had crapped themselves so often it wasn't funny.

It is worth spending a few hours poking around to try and get a feeling.  You never get the real story in NZ.  All the journo's would never say a bad word about anything.  Is very frustrating.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 10:10am
Rockyw View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Get the outboard Bryan, from my research on the hull truth, other internet forums, and from talking to many others with diesels & petrol inboards, & outboards, I think at the moment you cant go past any of the new 4 stroke outboards from Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, or Mercury for reliability at the moment. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 10:32am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Agree with all the above. People I know who have bought Mercruisers have regretted it. Resale on them is nowhere near as good as an outboard, particularly a four stroke. Put decent horsepower on it and you will have excellent fuel economy, quiet operation and won't lose half the space in the cockpit with a big engine box.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote El_Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 1:52pm
El_Robbo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I agree unless you were talking about a diesel inboard in which case that is the way I would go if I could afford it.

Just down at Orams and there is an 8m Tournament down there fully rigged with what looks like a 300hp diesel inboard.  Awesome condition doesn't look like it has had a lot of use. 

Just reduced from 175 - 149k... must have rental properties (like me gulp!).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mxaone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2008 at 7:18am
mxaone View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

my old man has a rayglass 720 with mercruiser 290hp and leg, it only had 30 hours on it when he got it and looked immac, now has 120 hrs on it and !
 water pump shat twice, rear crank seal leaked oil ( remove engime to repair) , top bearings in leg colasped, fuel injector plugs corroded real bad.
he is almost to scared to take it out any more because every time he dose it cost him 3-5 grand i to repair,

yam diesel or yam four stroke ob is the safest way to go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 3:41pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

thanks for reply,hope your dad sorts out his proplems,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 6:44pm
Moki Marko View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Rockstars
curious to know what decision you made, and did you make the right one?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 6:55pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

looking at a near new 730 rayglass with a 275 h.p mercury verado, any coments on this moter much appreciated,cheers bryan,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 7:59pm
Moki Marko View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds nice,
don't see many verados down our way, most people who want big horsepower seem to be going with the japanese options. I like the verado concept though, mercury have come up with a way of getting some mid range stonk  from a 4 stroke. My guess is that they saw the lack of torque in 4 stroke motors as a weakness through their long relationship with yamaha. Yamaha have turned the tables and gone very american with their V8 motors, while the americans have gone the high tech route, although I believe the verado blower is very efficient and reliable. Go for it, and report back.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 8:46pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

seen 4 blocks being removed from 3 - 250 verados all with the same problem 2 of them had to have the brains (ECM or what ever they are) replaced, 8k each im told and i wont go into the rest of it as its not worth it, all with less than 700 hours..another boat was taken back to the maker because it was leaking oil all over the boats above it, told the block was lifted to replace seal..

NOW!..to the credit of mercury all were coverd by warrenty..

the boat that was leaking oil is now smoking at idle and im told when driven it was super bad, its just wrong for a 4 stroke to smoke like a 2 stroke..i have no doubt that that problem will be sorted also.

but karps verado's (175) have been mint bar something that can happen to any motor at any time, slightly rough at idle but mint considering.

but the 275 i have not seen any issues with..but as far as i know the blocks arent that different design wise and i will let you know what to look for bryan..preventative maintenece is a must on all motors..

Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!