"Bluewater" SWF in NZ- a joke?

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 10:11pm
kiwitroutbum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Josh
How much were the charters you took running at and how many guys on board?
Minimum number of days on board?
Out of Westport?
Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote theloadedjuggler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 10:48pm
theloadedjuggler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Whoah guys didn't mean to stir the pot- just posting up what I have seen.

From a local magazine/website noddy is a mod-

Link may not work though- the forum is a community type that you need to be a member to access some of the threads.

Thread is called ultimate fishing location.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 11:50pm
Mudfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I just can't imagine a 400 pound bluefin on a fly rod. Perhaps my imagination is too limited!
There's more to fishing than catching fish - but catching fish is a big part of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 11:39am
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kiwitroutbum kiwitroutbum wrote:

Josh
How much were the charters you took running at and how many guys on board?
Minimum number of days on board?
Out of Westport?
Thanks
Just under 5 grand per 24 hours, all inclusive.( though with fuel prices the way they are that price would have increased for future bookings) min charter length is 24 hours, we would have between 2 and 5 guys fishing also 2 deckies and 1 skipper so up to 8 onboard. most charter were around 36- 48 hrs  ( which is about the ideal length)  sometimes we'd do up to 72 hrs though.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 12:35pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Censored someone pulled the ar$e right out the chicken.
Man, those prices are out there. Costs more than a day on the reef and I thought that was expensive.
Is it because of the weather or just because there aren't that many boats down there and they have a monopoly? Any blokes ever considered taking their own boats down? Be a great thread to start.

................................

Thanks Dick for info on the fish.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 2:20pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

most of the top end game boats who fish the 3kings are $2500-3000 per day at most you would only fish 12hrs, often costs extra for night time sword fishing. tuna fishing you fish right through 24hrs. often the engines won't switch off from the time you leave port to the time you return as mentioned previously, double engine hours, double work hours for crew, double fuel, sometimes over 100kg of bait used per trip (has to bought), double fishing time... hence double price. work it on out per kilo of fish caught and it will be one of the cheapest charters you will ever do.

last season there was about 12 charter boats from memory and a couple of private, probably more this season, so not much of a monopoly goin on, you will find most boats are priced pretty much the same.

A few trailer boats down there, but when it's kicks up 30 knots in the middle of night and it's below 0 degrees outside it's definitly more comfortable in a 50-70ft boat than a 7m tinne,  not to mention the bar that has to be crossed on the way home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nikolaj Mathiesen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 5:32pm
Nikolaj Mathiesen View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ive got acces to a 7mtr we can take down there if anyone is keen. I think its a hard project though. I dont know what the chances are to find a fish under 100kg but i definately think it has to be under 100kg. We got spooled by a yfin this year and had good battles with 20kg albies, so it will be interesting. I dont know how much current is running down there, but ones you start to fight current you are f......
And the bar crossing, hmmmm.... ive been over the Hokianga bar in my little boat in a 2mtr swell, that was interesting. I realy dont want to play with that Greymouth bar if it picks up
www.bigangryfish.co.nz

Page  <123