Fantasy Rig

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote burwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fantasy Rig
    Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 6:59pm
burwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok nuttas. Money no object what current production fishing machine would you buy. The rig must be a volume production vessel not a one off so no 'Id call salthouse and ask for a 90ft SF'

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 7:31pm
The Jester View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

8m White Pointer with twin 200 Hondas and Simrad EQ54 sounder.
Full live aboard kit as you'd never get me off it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 9:06pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Ill conservatively start with one of these.  Im saving :)

SPECIFICATIONS

550 Offshore Convertible

LOA 17.8M 58'4"
LENGTH (WATERLINE) 15.0M 49'2"
BEAM 5.2M 17'1"
DRAFT 1.3M 4'7"
WEIGHT 26 TONNES 29 US TONS
FUEL (FWD) 3600L 950 US GAL
FUEL (AFT) 1800L 475 US GAL
WATER 800L 210 US GAL
HOLDING TANK 300L 80 US GAL
ENGINES (STD) TWIN CATERPILLAR C18 1000MHP
CRUISE SPEED 30 KNOTS
BRIDGE CLEARANCE 6.0M 19'7"
CABIN HEADROOM 2M 6'6"
NO. SLEEPING CABINS 3
SLEEPING CAPACITY 6

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote El_Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 9:10pm
El_Robbo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Geez lance you would need a lot of mates to fiill that one up...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 9:13pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Stuff them.  Single handed buddy :) maybe a few girlies on board LOL What I like is the fuel capacity.  Reading about the 1st Bill Hall trips to Tonga.  Need lots of fuel to do that :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Blue Meanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 9:19pm
The Blue Meanie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Agree with Spraymate, an 8 or 8.5 metre White Pointer would suit me to a tee.
Mine would be diesel powered though.
Big enough to live aboard with all the modcons, but still trailerable etc etc
Almost like a floating caravan that can handle the snot and good for the marlin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote El_Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 9:31pm
El_Robbo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Couple of lifestyle things...
- I fish weekends or odd days.  Not weeks away.  Limited winter fishing.
- I fish short handed more often than not.

Must haves...
- Tuna Door with roller and flat trany no duckboard.
- 130lb chair.
- Awesome tuna toobs
- Good mix of height off the water, sociability, stability.
- Speed.  Naff this 18kn cruise home.  I wanna put the hammers down and be home when I finish.
- Manueverability.
- Bow thruster (cause I am crap in close.... and don't wanna ding the baby).

This will need some mods:
- remove great big in floor fish bin in cockpit and bolt a 130lb chair in.  will have the added effect of sealing the floor so I cant flood it when I send the stern under a wave.
- slot in a pair of tuna toobs into the transom to the right of the bait box.  Those new Reelax flush mounts will be premo for this spot.
- Get some controls (twin throttles and autopilot controls) into the cockpit by the guy in the yellow so I can help on fish if we are only 3 up not have to dick around driving the boat.
- a roller under the tuna door to winch in my big blues.
- upgrade to the twin Cummins 540 diamond series from the standard twin 500 cats.  Dont think i will need the 575s.

>> Edit did I mention twin Raymarine C120s and a C80 in a pod in the tower?  Big radar and a prepaid Mobil Card.
>> Edit 2 Did I mention I like to be outdoors when I am fishing.  Lance I think the air con in yours would dry my skin out too much!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 9:43pm
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Okay so assuming money no object and I can afford to keep, maintain and run this puppy.
Here she is: Hatteras 60' GT Convertible Tournament Edition

Performance
Pushing the throttles forward results in an impressive response from the optional twin 1,800-hp Caterpillar C32 ACERT diesels. But just wait: When the turbos build boost pressure, this 60 will walk you to the transom with its acceleration. 

At a 5-knot trolling speed, the wake qualifies as spotless past the second wave. Not even any discernable prop wash. We topped out at just over 42 knots at 2,300 rpm while burning a healthy 190 gph. Loafing along at 30.5 knots (1,700 rpm), we dropped that consumption to a mere 100 gph. That's with full fuel and water tanks, all of the owner's belongings and our tackle and bait. Churning along at its 2,000-rpm, 36-knot cruising speed, the 60 GT burned 116 gph.

We cruised straight into the 4- to 5-foot head seas off Great Isaac's Light in the Bahamas at 26 knots and the ride couldn't have been more comfortable. The head-sea ability of this boat represents a quantum leap improvement over older models — not that they were bad, Hatteras just likes to keep making its boats better.

The 60 GT reverses course in about five boatlengths at cruising speed, and when backing down on a 57-pound dolphin, we hit 8 knots and went straight as an arrow. In addition, this 60-footer spins far faster than you have any right to expect.

I'd love to see the trim tab switches moved to a more accessible spot, however. It's a bit awkward to reach them way up under the helm pod.

Flybridge
One of the boat's best features is the flybridge helm console. Designed much like a center console, you can pass by it to either side and you'll find loads of room to pass behind the helm and companion seats. Hatteras provides expansive guest seating forward of the console, as well as to each side on straight settees. An overhead recess hides the electric teaser reels, while under-gunwale 12-volt outlets power the electric reels the factory boat uses for the dredges.

It sure beats pulling them up by hand! A big freezer hides forward of the console with a dry box under the seat in front of that. You also get the obligatory rod storage under both settees and comfortable ladder-back seats that face fore or aft on the back ends of the straight settees.

Even short people will enjoy superb visibility from the wheel. The instrument console opens on either side of the varnished wheel pod. Unfortunately, when open, the hatches hide the controls for the engine displays. An additional hideaway electronics box drops from the hardtop.

I did question the wisdom of mounting the magnetic compass all the way forward on the flybridge brow. There's absolutely no way you can read it from the helm.

Big, deep troughs along the outboard flybridge deck double as handholds when walking forward and as water channels for drainage.

Engine Room
Hatteras provides remarkably roomy access through the cockpit hatch into the engine compartment. Once inside, I discovered tons of room both inboard and outboard of the engines. Yes, it proved just a tad tight getting outboard, but once there, I could've brought in a mattress and taken a nap. Noisy equipment, such as generators and compressors, all reside along the aft bulkhead, helping to keep the belowdecks living quarters quieter.

Interior
Hatteras put the entire interior on a diet: Everything is composite-cored. Starting in the bow, the forward cabin in this layout sports oblique over/under single berths. Other options include a queen-sized island berth on centerline up front. The master stateroom to port features an athwartship island berth and a private head with shower stall. To starboard you'll find a cabin with another set of over/under singles. Both the forward and midship cabins each have a private head with shower, too. In the salon, the dinette forward seats three or four adults comfortably.

I'm sure it's the height of interior decorating chic, but I could do without the gold-sand finish on the bulkhead in the master head. It seems to shed onto the floor each time you brush against it. Fortunately, owners can stipulate pretty much any interior finish they wish. Yes, I know, it's like complaining about the color of a car. Suffice it to say, I'd do it differently.

Cockpit
This 60 sports the ever-popular (and rightly so) mezzanine level, hiding all manner of storage, freezers, insulated drink boxes, etc.

Oddly, the door to the salon slides open toward the outboard side and has several détentes intended to keep your fingers from getting slammed as the boat rolls. I'd much prefer to see a pneumatic ram to open and close the door and it should open into the centerline.

On the other hand, I really liked the heavy-duty rams on the fish boxes. Just stand on the hatch to unlatch it, then step off and the hatch automatically opens. Likewise, once you push the hatch closed, you'll need to stand on it again to latch it. With hatches this size, it makes lots of sense. And both fish boxes come with split lids for easier access.

Design and Construction
The 60 GT represents the first Hatteras to feature a completely resin-infused hull, rather than one built up from layers of hand-laid fiberglass. The automated resin-infusion process provides a more uniform hull thickness from one hull to the next, as well as the most ideal glass-to-resin ratio. This one-two punch produces a boat that weighs significantly less because of the lowered resin content while providing a more precise fit of bulkheads, stringers and other components for increased strength and durability. 

Despite the few fine-tuning complaints I've voiced, I really like this Hatteras. It has a long list of terrific features that every sport-fishing boat should have — but often doesn't. For example, I appreciate that the entire foredeck is solid nonskid. Owners who never venture out to the foredeck often don't care, but the mate who has to anchor or handle dock lines certainly does. And every boat should come with fresh-water washdown outlets up in the tower, in the anchor locker and on the flybridge.

For the hard-core fisherman, the Hatteras 60 comes in a 60 GT Tournament Edition (which we tested). This three-stateroom, two-head package includes an engine upgrade to 1,800 hp, custom hull color and a wraparound windshield styling element. Owners of the GT Tournament Edition can expect a top-end speed of 40 knots and a cruise of 35-plus knots at 2,000 rpm. Combine this performance package with custom bow rails and the optional Carolina Edition teak package, and you'll have a boat that will sit proud at any tournament.

SPECIFICATIONS

LOA......59'10"
BEAM......19'
DRAFT......4'9"
WEIGHT......85,500 pounds
DEADRISE......2 degrees
FUEL......1,800 gallons
WATER......200 gallons
POWER......Twin 1,800 hp Cat C32 ACERT diesels    
MSRP......$3,000,000 (approx. as tested)

Nice ClapClapClapClap
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mark Edwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 9:52pm
Mark Edwards View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Id go for something like Robbos one above, or maybe a 45ft blackwatch/cabo/viking/bertram so I can take the family to the three kings...Im a simple man and dont need much....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 11:54pm
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If money is no object I really don't see why on earth you would exclude custom boats? 

Even if I won the Euromillions I'm not sure I'd want all the hassle of owning a big boat and having to hire a crew.  Where I'm likely to put a boat, I'd want something smaller and simpler that I could run myself and could be fished easily by just two, something along the lines of the Gamefisherman 30 or 34 express. 

I'd get a lower tower to make it easier to get down into the pit when fishing short handed and would have to add a chair.  Bear in mind though I'll be fishing where I might run only 5-10 minutes before starting to fish, where it'll be nice and sunny, and the seas won't be too rough. 

Regards

D.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote El_Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 7:05am
El_Robbo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dustin I reckon that is where I strike the best balance between Wetspots gin palace with room for a spa and disco and your bugs in my teeth, spray in my face custom job.  36' that can take the rough and the smooth.  Where you can roll back the isothalic clears and sit in the shade or on moderate days when the sun gets high climb up to watch the spread or horizon.

Very aggressive hull built for East Coast US and long canyon runs, presuming very aggressive fuel consumption as well :(

Guys you can keep your big tinnys.  Towing my 6.5m glass boat is a pain.  8m is not for me thanks!  And my beasty will still be worth something in 10 years...  Although I could see a lot of overnight trips... to get to where the fish are I still think I would rather that on occasion than a 7 hour tow to get to a ramp where you can only launch at high tide. This would be my ultimate trailer boat...

But maybe with two 4str instead. IMHO nothing in glass built in NZ can compare with the layout of this boat, built for gamefishing.  Just needs a hard lid for a bit more shade...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 8:27am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Sod the boats. I'd have
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Strawberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 8:30am
Strawberry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Riv 48 offshore express has taken my fancy as late, also keen on 67
Bertrum very tasty as well.
Strawberry
"The sharks are circling"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 8:34am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes i would love a riv but not right now and 12m would be my max, but right now i have a 12m launch that catches marlin that has a bar that has everything but not as flash as the million dollar boat but dam if i aint doing the same dog gone thing as them for what they would spend on gas in a year, yip flash is not always best and yip i am always looking for better but right now the Ultimate Game does it all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 8:41am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like wetspots boat and Benders deckie 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 9:02am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Another vote for Bender's fantasy deckie Clap

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I like flybridge boats better than expresses in the 35 foot class, especially the so-called "day boats" where the anglers can watch the baits from an open cabin instead of being closed away. 

I love the lines of this classic Rybovich below - definitely my fantasy boat if I was going to plump for something in the 35 foot size range. It isn't really necessary for what I would want to do with a boat but there's certainly enough places where you'd want something bigger/faster/more seaworthy/with more living space than a bare bones 30 foot fishing machine like the Gamefisherman. 

cheers - dustin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 9:58am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Seriously though.  Does anyone no anything about these

C. C. Cheng 42 Sport Fisher

1992 C. Chang 42 Sport Fisher ( 46ft O/A ) built & finished to a very high standard, by a well knowen boat builder / Naval architect in Tawian since the early 1960s, 14 ton dry weight, Twin Catapiller 3208 diesel turbo intercooled engines on straight shaft drive, 375hp x 2, Port engine 470 hours, Starboard engine 479 hours, just serviced, cruise 21 knots max 24 knots, hard top, forward double cabin, starboard double bunk cabin, Northern lights 8 KVA gen set 1,400 hours, fully airconditioned with reverse cycle air con, ice maker, water maker, Princess LPG stove, oven, fridge, freezer, cockpit freezer, microwave, huge saloon, 20 inch flat screen TV, DVD player,CD stereo, toilet, seperate shower, cockpit shower, new Raymarine C series radar, GPS, 1 KW sounder, fitted to upper and lower stations, auto pilot, huge cockpit, game rigged, game chair, live bait tank, flybridge enclosed with clears, liferaft, 240 Volt shore power, new 4 year elec cert, new upholstery inside & out, 1850 ltrs fuel, 500 Ltrs water, Alot of boat, bargin at advertised price of $348,000 ono all serious offers considered, have just spent $50,000 on upgrades, view in Tauranga, new photos available. Trades considered, game fishing rods in photos not included.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ratherbfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 3:27pm
ratherbfishin View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

WETSPOT, Didnt you just get a new boat not so long ago
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 3:36pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Money no object?

I'd certainly go for a kayak LOL
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 3:56pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

simple really.....

http://www.splashvision.com/Video/9822_Ultimate-Lady.html

if coin was not a problem then why wouldn't ya?

Page  123 4>