Anyone caught a Kingie from a Kayak?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone caught a Kingie from a Kayak?
    Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 4:31pm
BlueWater View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Greetings,

I have been lurking around the forums for a while and thought I could add something to the mix here.

I have been Kayak fishing all through winter and gained a great deal of experience as a result. Hope to share some tips and tricks as time goes on.

Anyway, has anyone had any luck with landing a Kingie off a yak?
I ask this cause I hooked into a monster (50-60lbs?) off the rocks at Waiheke last week. I was using 30lb mono and the bugger reefed me. Now I am more keen than ever to try and land one and thought the Kayak might just give me the advantage.

I fish with a mate (on a Viking Direct Tango (2 seater) and we routinely chase (re: paddle like hell!) a hooked fish to stop it getting into the rough.
I do have a 20lb rig for the Kayak but so far the biggest fish I have landed was a 9lb Snapper (on 10lb line).

What is the biggest fish you have landed?

Regs,

-BW.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 4:34pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome BlueWater, take that yellow raincoat off.

I haven't done any kayak fishing yet so haven't caught anything.

Sounds like you're doing well out there. Do you live at Waiheke?

How's the two man kayak for gear space?
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 0zzmosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 6:15pm
0zzmosis View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hi bluewater, welcome to the forum... i myself have never caught anything from a yak, due to not haveing bought my yak yet just finialiseing some things but should have it within the month.... ill let ya know how i go

if u look down a few topics theres the billfish mag thingie where a dude catches a blue marlin on his yak

cheers ozz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 6:23pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome BW.

Do freshwater perch and trout count from a trolling yak?

2lb trout and about the same size perch paddleing across lake Pupuke, not kingfish but still fish.

Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 0zzmosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 6:53pm
0zzmosis View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

LOL AC as soon as i saw that BW i craced up laffing.... we use to call this real fat kid that back in skool days... BW short for Beached Whale

totally off the subject but thought id share my pointless story ;)

cheers ozz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 7:26pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL...........don't hold anything back aye Ozz !!
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 9:41pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hello Bluewater,

Welcome to the forum. We do have a resident member "Limitless" who can add some cool stories to this thread. He's unavoidably detained at the moment. He goes as far as past the poor knights targeting Hapuka from his Kayak.

I've learned that if you value your life, don't use anything greater than 8kg braid off the yak.

There is a point where a breakoff is needed to save your life. We use 6 and 8 KG IGFA mono with 37.5 kg trace for just about everything.

Fishing a Kingie from a yak is more of pulling you to the kingie than pulling the kingie to you.

We will have to call for a Forum Kayak Fishing Day by the end of the summer. So we can all get aquainted and learn from each other. There is always more than one way to skin a fish, or "Kill a Cat"

Cheers

HF 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2003 at 11:19pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah HF, a Forum Kayak Fishing Day sounds like a great idea! Give me plenty of warning and I'll be sure to come up from the "Naki" for it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Na Fianna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2003 at 8:59am
Na Fianna View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Only have the kayak a few weeks and have caught a few kawhai. The biggest thing I caught was about 2-3kgs but I did not recognise it so I made an on the spot decision that I did not want the spiney creature flapping between my bare legs so I flipped it out again.

Heaven can be a cold , wet and lonely place.
B�onn s�il le muir ach n� bh�onn s�il le t�r
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2003 at 9:06am
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sweet Az

I'll run it past Limitless and get his thoughts on it. I'm sure he'd up for it and take us out to Harvest Spot X.

When do you think would be a good time to go? February tends to be a bit toastie I'm thinking March or April.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DogFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2003 at 11:11pm
DogFish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

March sounds good HF.
The weather's usually pretty settled and not too hot then.
We'll have to work on the details over the next few months.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2003 at 9:43am
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds good,

I'll get on it shortly.

Cheers

HF