BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 862863864865866 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 8:30pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

All good Piwi.  I saw you in the distance but I was too busy trying to catch fish. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 10:28pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The stradic 3000FK is a great little reel piwi, I really like them. Prefer the handle on the 3000 over the little one on the 2500 too . I nomally fish 8lb braid, ive got 12lb on at the moment so heaps of drag for me and holds more than enough line really. I look after my gear well but even my 4000FJ thats 4 years old and done heaps of fishing still feels good. I havent fished the slammer, they sound mean as but the 3500 is nearly twice the weight of a stradic 3000 so not sure how the balance would feel on a nice light rod?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 10:24am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

14ft thats a big weight difference for sure. Might put one on the xmas list. I had a stradic 3000 which i bought 2nd hand and it lasted 8 years of yak abuse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Epicskwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 12:39pm
Epicskwid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Been following the forum quietly here in HB , great catches made by all of you guys. You may have seen a post a little while ago by me about a Kayak Fishing event in Mahia.. Well it's being planned out currently for a weekend sometime in October / September. Make sure you send me a message on here or on facebook @BlairWhitingFishing If you are interested in attended an event located somewhere a bit different 

Skwid ~ Blair

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SmallBoatBigOcean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 1:21pm
SmallBoatBigOcean View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Haha exactly what I was thinking schecter!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote museyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 3:57pm
museyak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I was trying to catch fish too Schecter having no luck so I came over to catch up with you and then I caught one haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 5:52pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was interesting fishing the slammer, 2x 4000 ci4(1xold model and 1xnew model) stradics and a 2500 sustain on sunday they all got similar amounts of time in use. The shimanos are lighter and were better balanced on the rods i have. The slammer feels nice but different to what im used to, i need to find it a well matched rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 7:03pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

DT you have great gear. Probably the weight of the Slammer might be the difference in feel.

The weekend is shaping up very nice especially sunday 5 knots and .2m surf Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 7:20pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Decent mid range gear at best piwi, could never drop close to a grand on a yak reel like mups. Yeah it was definetly the weight piwi but not heavy just heavy compared to my other reels. My 5 year old ci4 stradic is still my go to prefer it over the newer ones. Will be out if the forecast holds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 7:22pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

My gear is embarrassing, I need to start taking this sport seriously Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 7:22pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

On the other end of the spectrum of price, I tried out some Aliexpress softbaits on Sunday.

These ones in particular.

First drop it got hammered and split in two. Second drop, got the fish but same thing, split where the hook exits the bait. I just ran the hook out through the gut, then back up out the back to fix the issue, but I guess, get what you pay ($5 for 8)  Confused Fish seem to like them..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 7:50pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good work Dale trying new softies. Im too scared in winter to experiment. We are the Aliexpress guinea pigs 😀
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 8:42pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL My enthusiasm for fishing gear has no bounds. My "new" Stella is actually a second hand SW 4000 08 model was nowhere near a grand boys(and I have always pined for one). My Branzino was a grand though most I ever paid but in fillet value its about 3-4kgs off paying for itself. I admit I got that because it is nearly as good looking reel as the Stella. I admit I am a TAS slut who has hit the ceiling. 

Twinpower 3000 is the best SB reel on the market you could lose two Stradics out your collection DT buy one of them and I bet you won't put it down. Unless you have a Stella and Branzino! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 8:43am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Actually it was a Twinpower I bought off Muppet years ago not a Stradic, I get them confused Smile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 6:11pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah did consider the twinny 3000 or even a new sol. Went with the penn just for something abit different. I have a https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/daiwa-sealine-sl30-shb-and-laguna-boat-strayline-combo-7ft-10-15kg-1pc combo for sale but has the 6-10kg rod rather then the 10-15kg in the link. Have used the rod once and reel is unused without line, would be a good strayline/turkey combo $150.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 6:29pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Won't buy another magseal reel. 

The new Abu Roxani looks ok mean as anti rust bearings apparently $270.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 8:34pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by 14footFC 14footFC wrote:

The stradic 3000FK is a great little reel piwi, I really like them. Prefer the handle on the 3000 over the little one on the 2500 too . I nomally fish 8lb braid, ive got 12lb on at the moment so heaps of drag for me and holds more than enough line really. I look after my gear well but even my 4000FJ thats 4 years old and done heaps of fishing still feels good. I havent fished the slammer, they sound mean as but the 3500 is nearly twice the weight of a stradic 3000 so not sure how the balance would feel on a nice light rod?

I really like my Stradics (4000FK and an older 4000FJ which Greg at GoFish upgraded with carbon drag washers). I'd been doing the usual dreaming of a new reel, but then realised I didn't have a real reason to do that. Love the drag and the smoothness, and they are a nice balance with my softbait rods. Good quality for the price.

Re the Penn, my understanding is that the Penns are a bit like the Daiwas - a 2500 in Penn would be a more similar comparison with a Shimano 3000 in terms of specs (a 3500 Penn would be like a 5000 Shimano). 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 6:47am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Cheers for the info TK. Ive been watching the Tackle Advisor guy on youtube pulling apart reels and its very interesting. You know you are old and boring when you get enjoyment in watching that haha.
That mag seal stuff was very clever but the difficulty in self servicing was not thought out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 7:35am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Apparently it’s not that bad piwi it’s just daiwa don’t sell it nor the magseal bearings. Others have tried other ferro oils but the daiwa one is the one that lasts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 10:01am
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

anyone heading out tomorrow? forecast looking pretty sharp
Page  <1 862863864865866 1025>