BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 855856857858859 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 6:54pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not picking it will drop for tomorrow looking at the forecast .
1.8 on port website at the moment as well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 6:58pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm keen for another attempt in the morning. Will be local, not got a long enough release for a big mission tomorrow Confused

I'll check it early and head over if its ok.

Will see you at Harrisons adammac.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 6:59pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Should still be 2-3 foot at the beach in the morning. But its a long period swell, so should be able to time it pretty well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote **SLATER** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 7:56pm
**SLATER** View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone looking at going to spot R?
Early morning start
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 8:06pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Doubtful with the size of the surf slater
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote adammac-hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 8:18pm
adammac-hill View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Alternatively, what's harbour yak fishing like at the moment if the swells too big?

The rig is all loaded onto the car and it's been too long since I was last out so I'm itching to get out there tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote **SLATER** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 8:39pm
Bronze
Bronze

Didn’t look bad when I checked it this avo. Maybe the bigger sets where hitting 3 foot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 8:27am
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Flagged it again, 1.8m max and 1.2 sig. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote *stu* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 10:01am
*stu* View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by 14footFC 14footFC wrote:

Cheers for the replies guys, will check out the Garmin units too and make sure it can come off easy. Was thinking a railblazer slider with unit in the middle and a holder either side. Looking forward to getting out there!!

the garmin striker 4 I have clips in and out very easily. just make sure you set up a leash for the head unit as can get knocked out by a wave or other means easily. I nearly lost mine first trip, transducer cable held in and saved it. I usually stow it away in and out of surf.

Is a great little chirp unit if you don't need charts on your GPS and really well priced.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 10:05am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yeah I unloaded yesterday morning Smile
Thats 2 aborted weekends in a row. That flat weekend is out there somewhere.
I just jogged past Harrisons and The Domain and didnt look like anyone out. Surf was doable but you got to draw the line somewhere. Low and high tide make it look totally different. Yesterday we were surfing 400m out at low tide and the inside sandbar was dumping heavy while the outside one was softer with the odd close out set.
High tide we were surfing less than 100m out and just one dumpy wave.

Adam the harbour would be tough in winter with very few snapper about but hopefully you come back with a story of a giant Kingi or Trev or a nice JD !

Slater did you man up and get out ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cam man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 12:20pm
Cam man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Garmin striker are a nice and easy unit to use and don't use much power to run them , I would look at putting on a leash to the unit not its brackets there are some bolt points around the side of the unit . I have had my unit knocked off twice now . Things to look out for with the power plug , you can put it in to the unit the wrong way around in the dark and it won't power up I found putting a white paint mark on the plug to show top sorts that , make sure that you disconnect the power from the battery as soon as possible when it is not plugged into the sounder as the plug power socket fizzes away and ends up not working . A bit of vas around the plug helps to keep out water and look at getting a sounder cover they are really good for stopping waves hitting the plugs.
Gps is a must for drift line if you are going to be a softbait.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote **SLATER** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 1:18pm
Bronze
Bronze

I went out this morning it was probably 3 foot on the way out at full tide and coming home it was pretty low with a sand bank throwing up some big waves out back which made for a interesting return.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 2:03pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had a look at the surf cams, saw the nice inside shorey and the peaks out the back and wasn't too worried I didn't go. Would have got out, but had plenty to do around the house anyway.

Did you get any fish Josh? Spot R?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote **SLATER** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 3:53pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah spot R. Massive currents so couldn’t get the softbaits to the ground. Only managed a big Kahiwai. My gps had me moving at 2kph on the drift
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 3:57pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Bugger Slater hate that east drift.

Hopefully the boys who travelled got some fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote adammac-hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 5:49pm
adammac-hill View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got up at 6, did a recon at 6.30, decided to flag it and went up the mount with the mrs to catch the sunrise.

We watched all the boaties head out, looked like a fairly bumpy ride for most
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 5:53pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good brownie point accumulation Adam will put you in credit Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 7:35pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats a fast drift Josh, this coast is at its worst with an E swell and SE winds, the drogue almost makes it worse sometimes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 7:56pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Launched from maraenui at 7 this morning - bit choppy to start with gusty SE wind but that dropped after an hour - 2 pannies quickly then nothing for hour then big run on strayline which was a good snap but lost at the yak 🤐🤐
Ended up with limit with all styles catching fish even z mans which is unusual for me
Also caught decent amount of medium kys which went out as livies as JD hang about there but no takers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 8:16pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot scotty, you did better than me.
Awesome conditions out East but fishing was hard
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Page  <1 855856857858859 1025>