BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 525526527528529 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 1:18pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pretty windy session yesterday still managed a few for a feed. Had half a dozen pannies quite early only kept a couple plus plenty of BCs and kept a couple of those too plus a good trev. Sh*tloads of jellyfish to the east, ks and ks of the buggers. A solid hour paddle home back on land around 10.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 3:18pm
fishart View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Seems to be a good year for jelly fish all right!!

Question time?

I have a Garman Echo 150 and it has been playing up. Turns it self off randomly and especially early in the day then runs perfectly for ages, one time it ran but none of the buttons worked and had to pull the power out to turn it off, anyone experience similar problems. I have checked all the usual connections etc and given the battery a good charge. ????
Has had the odd splash over the last year but not been submerged or anything.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chook01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 4:03pm
chook01 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Possibly corroded wires. The salt water works its way up 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 6:25pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Fishart the only way to really check connections is with a volt meter to make sure you have a healthy 12vdc getting through. Check your fuse and holder for orange or green type corrosion as well as battery terminal connectors and the pins in the FF plug.
Give them all a clean with meths and a toothbrush.
If the unit powers up but the buttons dont work it would look more like a fault in the head unit itself.

Downtown- good reward for a big paddle.

Scotty/Smallboat nice trip out for you guys. So the gate was locked Scotty thats a bummer.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 6:50pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah was bit surprised by the gate being locked piwi.
Found good fishing spot tho and easier paddle from surf club at pukehina so all good.
Paddle back to maketu was a real struggle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SmallBoatBigOcean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 9:03pm
SmallBoatBigOcean View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That Scottyboy is a cool customer guys, he acted cool as a cucumber back on shore 10 minutes before I managed to make landfall. I on the other hand dragged myself out of the yak light headed!

Wow an hours paddle solid effort. I was towing my lure on Saturday and kept thinking I was hooking up for a split second before realising it was another jellyfish catching my lure - pain in the butt.

Fishart have you tried drying out the head unit in the hotwater cupboard? Kind of obvious but thought I'd bring it up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 9:44pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

its a good job u did not see me after i had to get my yak back to car park from where i landed after the paddle small boat - shows what some local knowledge does for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZ-Kayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 7:42am
NZ-Kayaker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Chaps, 

I've just whipped up a new blog post that any new or aspiring kayak fishermen might be interested in. This time it's on a few basic accessories but it also includes an equipment check sheet (which I have laminated to all my gear bins). Let me know what you think. 

Mob: 027 668 9904
Facebook: www.facebook.com/nzkayakfisher
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 7:45am
fishart View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks for the tips will check things over more carefully and pop in hot water cupboard also. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 8:45am
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Geez you two whinge more then my mrs does when I don't hang the washing out LOL. That paddle to the point is under a couple of ks, its definitely landing at low tide that's the killer. And have been caught out by the locked gate before well after the opening time so i'm pretty sceptical when I hear its never locked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote G Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 9:53am
G Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Didn't Tim post that the key was stashed somewhere? Those Garmin 150's have had issues. I have a 300c nearly 3years old and has not missed a beat. Been swimming many times. Dry box stored all the time. Few of those silicon bags in an air tight container. Maybe that might help Fishart.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SmallBoatBigOcean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 12:16pm
Silver
Silver

Haha I'm hoping by the end of summer I will be looking like Arnie back in the day and a couple of K will be nothing to me - then again probably not.

Yeah Tim's report was the reason we decided to try Newdicks, lesson learnt he was probably just lucky someone forgot to lock it. Maybe I may have to invest in a set of bolt cutters Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 1:53pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I wanna look like Arnie is now, his cheeks are amazing LOL
I think Tim said the chain was over to make it look like its locked but actually isnt ?
Did you guys go as far as to check on that ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SmallBoatBigOcean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 2:52pm
Silver
Silver

Yeah it was double padlocked gave it a yank to see if it budged and it didn't. I think we've found an alternative to launch from anyway - would be nice to get out from there at some point though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 7:19am
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

tomorrow is looking good. i'm heading east somewhere. may be from surf club end of pukehina
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raymond Luxury Yacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 3:40pm
Raymond Luxury Yacht View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Domain, 6am tomorrow for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beernayarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 6:00pm
beernayarn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Allpom, if you heading to pukehina I'm keen.  I usually launch from the top of the road, is the surf club down the other end?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 7:09pm
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think it is just further down the road. we are going to be there just before 6am (leaving pap's at 5.30). i'll pm you my number beer and yarn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beernayarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 8:42pm
beernayarn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

All good Allpom, see you there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fat Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 11:49pm
Fat Cat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The chain is always double locked but can be lifted over top of the post

I've always made sure to put money into lock box and have left well after closing as the beach is quite protected making it fairly good coming back in we'll after dark
cheers the Fat Cat
Page  <1 525526527528529 1025>