BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 2223242526 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 7:45pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ditto here, I went out from Motiti rd car park just b4 7 & came back in with 8 kahawai & 3 snapper, was a lovely morning out, back in at 10, baked ky for dinner, smoked 3 others for giveaways & sent 2 ky & 1 snap to the folks in Waihi with friends going up there. curried ky for dinner tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 8:18pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Please no more stories about all the fish been caught Cry I'm starting to doubt my technique after a slow sat morning fish.
Must have been the moon tide sun wind..........
Seriously thats a great effort Bush with the young fulla. I suggested it to my 10 year old after reading your story but no way is he coming out 2.5km in the back of my swing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 8:20pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Oh and Phishpulla, weve all seen your photo on here many times and you dont even have a neck LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 9:21pm
bush View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

you shld twist his arm piwi - have a father and son comp.  i suspect it is not highly recommended to cart arnd a large 9 yr old but the elite handles it well.  wouldnt want too much of a headwind though.  we were both hooked up at same time, yak getting pulled arnd, droge getting hooked on lines, plenty of "instructions".  its the secret bait that makes the difference too.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 9:43pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hear there was quite plastic logs out this weekend and figured it would have to be a few of ewes fullas. Good to hear the fishings still good.
I however was out on a boat sorting out some spots for a october/november mother ship trip for some puka from the yak and fishing from the wharf here in whanga with my neice. More piper than you can shake a slug go at and plenty of JDs and Kys. Would be good to get her out on the yak but shes to scared right now, might have to take her to the local pool and run some swimmers down to show her how much fun it can be.

And Piwi try dragging around a swimming minnow with mr rod holder doing the work for gurnard, use to be very productive while working the baits for snaps and trev etc. Always gets ya going hearing the clicker going off too. Although I didn't fish paps very often with bait its hard to say if its more productive than bait but its certainly more convenient
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HOKISMOKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 2:35pm
HOKISMOKE View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well done bush.Must have been cosy with all those fish floaten around yours and joshes ankles. He'll be hittin ya up for something a little bigger and more comfy than a prowler fish holder soonThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 3:14pm
bush View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hokimai hokismoke, twas a little crowded in the cockbit area and got a few scars to prove it.  he reckons its comfy back there and should be able to paddle us both about soon -  1 sonpower.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 3:27pm
fishkiller View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 3:29pm
fishkiller View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

what reels last for kayak fishen .the guy at the shop said alvery. but the look combersum. was thinken a penn slamer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 5:45pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey Bush

i used to take my 11 year old boy out all the time in the back of the prowler. just had to plug the holes up to stop the infill of water. got caught out with the wind a couple of times and the extra weight soon slows you down a bit. but he enjoys it so much so the odd struggle back is worth it. sure do notice the difference in stability with a wriggly kid in the back so only go out when its flat calm. we borrowed a scupper pro off Tuco which hes been using and last time out got all the way around soames and back without a tow (about 8km) so hes happy

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Milkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 8:20pm
Milkey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gidday Chaps,
This is totally the wrong forum for this.As I wasnt in the BOP and the "kayak" I was in was a 14m boat with more deck space than you can shake a stick at and it was out of Kawhia.
Went out on the "Clansman" today,with the Rentokil company.
To cut a long day into a short story. The snapper fishing was arse.More KY than I have ever seen.More small carrots than Ohakune.More smelly bait than a fish shop with no refrigerationDead and more beer than a breweryThumbs%20Up....thank god for beer!!
So a couple of small sharks and a few KY in the chilly bin.Did get one noticeable snapper though.But this imperial to metric measure always befuddles me LOL so no numbers.
Good day out on the water. But I did quite often think of how nice it would be to be on a yak,in calm water in the middle of summer...........Unhappy
Do you guys know how hard it is to stand up and fish all day??

Proud Prowler Roller, bowler and a$$holer since Feb' 2008.......not anymore, Profish 440 yeah boy!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 8:25pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fishkiller fishkiller wrote:

what reels last for kayak fishen .the guy at the shop said alvery. but the look combersum. was thinken a penn slamer

He was right, but so are you. They're the hands down the longest lasting REEL, the only thing that'll last longer is a handline. BUT they're terrible to fish with IMO
Post something in the tackle talk thread cause I don't wanna start rambling (like I tend to do ) in here, but quickly over heads are the go for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 9:51pm
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Milkey Milkey wrote:

Do you guys know how hard it is to stand up and fish all day??

Yer had our work fishing trip a few weeks back out on the gulf.. Which ended up on the same day as a 20kt NE I think it wasAngry ..The other down side was we are a dry site at work so we were a dry boat on the water..So at least you had the beers to keep you occupied LOLLOL
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.”
― Wernher Von Braun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 5:45pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Just got back from a fish in front of my place. Went out about 3pm. Surf was over head high sets and as I stood on the beach ready to launch I knew I shouldnt really be risking it but what the hell.
Anyway got some nice snapper from 35-52cm in quick time and then made the anxious paddle back in. Managed to get past the outer break and into " the safe zone " but a massive set came thru which I decided to face and paddle into but the mega last wave with a 4ft whitewater hit me hard and I started the backwards surf in which ends in the inevitable upside down. Turned the yak back up and got back on only to be dumped by another set. Abandon ship and swim and pick up the carnage on the beach. Not too much damage, flag gone, knife gone, fishfinder showing signs of moisture behind screen........
Still got fish yehaaaaaaaaaa you gotta luv  it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fussballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 6:42pm
Fussballer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well done you mad bugger..!    I was just looking at sea today and thinking that there will be no fishing this weekend..What depth did you head out to?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 7:28pm
bush View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good on ya piwi - good afternoon for crooks, bad one for the fish aye...had a look at motiti at 5 didnt look that inviting.  52cm fish are good for sure.

looks pretty bad for weekend with easterlys and rain blowing in.  Anyone want to look for snaps and kingis in harbour entrance and around the bouys? are they still around?  Or would makatu be ok in close?  Got my vs40 all fixed like new by the decoro team so keen to give it a go ( and park badfish's t alloy up before i give it a dip.)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 7:45pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Only in 10m and drifting towards maketu so plenty of fish around just had a bad day on saturday. Caught one on the ledger rod holder and the rest softbaiting only losing one bait.
Maketu will still be bad on any north or east wind and not very nice. I havent heard about the harbour.
I think you should all spend the weekend with your families LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 8:32pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't ya just love it when the surf takes your beathe away when you're knocking out. Nice effort Piwi

Cold up here, only fished for 45mins today as I had to be back for an early dinner before CG training but C&R three nice snapper around the 6-8lb mark and two JDs that came home for tea so that's incouraging for the weekend. Hopefully I'll get a good whack at it sunday but the wind isn't looking that flash for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 10:03pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

good stuff, better you then me in that surf, we settled for sausage casserole much more gentler on the body & the gear. How is your drogue going, looked at it at the boat show, seems pretty light weight, stuck my oar in as well sorry & mentioned to the penquin man about your slow delivery, he was interested to hear as he should be as it's his product but the seller is someone buying in bulk & selling on trade me. chip'n
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 6:18am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Drogue working not too bad. Put a float on the leading edge but still drifting slightly faster than fussballer ( what type have you got Duncan ? ). I did find some emails lost in my trademe transaction so better give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
I would say its on a par with my garden bag but smaller.
A larger version might be better.
Nice work there BF on the dory. Im sure your Coastguard training would encourage kayak fishing off a surf beach with 1.5 m surf Tongue
Page  <1 2223242526 1025>