BOP Yakmen

Page  <1234 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Charlie F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 4:14pm
Charlie F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Met Bush at Taylor Reserve shortly after dawn and we hit the water soon after. After making it throught the Papamoa full tide heavy wash cycle without mishap we headed out to the 10 metre mark where there was plenty of fish sign and both hooked up on decent pannies on our first cast. From then on it was consistant fishing. We released several legal pannies each keeping fish over 35cm. Bush broke his kayak sp snapper duck in style keeping 7 good fish.

Pretty good going for someone on there second yak fishing mission.
I kept a limit including a 65cm 11lber, I'm stoked!

Gulp chatreuse 4" jerk baits and 5" Exude butter chickens on 1/2 oz jig heads did the damage. All fish caught on the drift between Taylor Reserve and the Papmoa Surf Club in 8 - 11 metres.

Thanks to you Bay guys for putting me on to this spot.

Cheers
Charlie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 4:37pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Bloody good effort. I was ripped off I knew it my 67cm only 9.5 LBs must have been on Jenny Craig.
I'm still goiing out tomorrow morning 7am off Harrisons cut with me, myself and I. Will be heading out to secret reef only found by lining up secret landmarks or paddling into the middle of all the boats sitting on it. Is everybody working ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 4:39pm
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good to see Charlie, well done!!!!  The beach is fishing extremely well, good to see you got your share!!!!
After todays botch-up at work, I took time out and drove along marine parade - was as flat as a piece of toast!  Thought you would of had a ball - lucky bugga!
Connoisseur of fine beers and ales!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 4:41pm
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

PM me your phone number Piwi,  I'll see how I finish here today!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 7:02pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cough cough I fell a cough coming on. Well done lads. Can't wait to go to your secret spot Piwi.

Good effort to Charlie I hate the full tide wash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 7:54pm
bush View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nice fish arrangement charlie.... well done on the 11 pounder.  my 53cm only came in at 5.5. great morning out there, fish everywhere.  both pulling in keepers on first cast was a good sign.  didnt have a spot x - just went to 10m and saw fish on ff and into it. got your ff going yet charlie... caught all my fish close around yak so may not have been getting to bottom on the cast properly.  trid a big boy 9 inch grub tail thing from foodsouce out - was sure it would catch a big-un bud got didly - next time maybe. weekend if weather good - i need to practice those beach landings!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Charlie F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 8:47pm
Charlie F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah bush got the FF sorted, funny how they don't work whenyou only put one battery terminal on - DOHConfused
You can only get better at the landings!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 9:26pm
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top reward for a morning on the the water ..Clap

I think your facial expression in that first pic says it all.....
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.”
― Wernher Von Braun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 10:07pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done guys..Clap
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote potus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 8:37am
potus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

New kayak fisher...until now had only played around the harbour but was encouraged by phishpula and piwi's reports of Papamoa snapper so....ventured out yesterday afternoon from Taylors reserve also. Surprisingly easy conditions to get out through yesterday, then first cast in 6m got a long fat kawahai that went back after a good fight! further out and fish everywhere on the sounder.. Three nice snapper 40-45cm and 3 smaller ones thrown back all on nuclear chicken 5inch (Apparently it's not the length that's important, it's the movement) Headed in with the surf picking up...waiting to bail out or turn turtle but somehow (luck!!) caught a wave, dug the paddle in and surfed all the way to the beach!
It's great when a plan comes together successfully on the first try!
Thanks for all of your "reports" of this great fishing area....same again this afternoon with a bit of luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 12:07pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good work Potus, Fish everywhere at the moment so a good time to venture out. Hopefully you can get out with some others on here sometime.
Will be interesting to see whos still fishing hardout in the middle of winter. That'll sort out the men from the boys.
My expedition this morning not so good. Was onshorish conditions and the guy who came with me didnt have an anchor so we didnt bother going to the reef and just drift softbaited finding fish only at about 15m. I ended up with 5 snapper 30-48cm and the other guy with 2 x snapp around 50 cm and gurnard. I went thru 5 gulps DAMN HATE THAT.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 6:01pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done on hte fishing Charlie - nice haul

Welcome to the forum Potus

The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 6:41pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

On yay potus took me a while to get out but once you do you'll never go back....unless is really big.  YOur more than welcome to come and play with us silly billys in the future. As long as your not to serious.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 10:49am
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Welcome to the crew Potus,  will be good to catch up with you on one of out outings.  Just watch out for Phish, he has some bad habbits!  lol lol lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote potus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 2:16pm
potus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A good article on handling surf...
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articles_view.asp?Kayak_Articles=20
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 2:44pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes I have two bad habits thats nothing compared to your 12 Hermit!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 5:07pm
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good article,  sounds just like my mission statement!Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

What do you recon guys,   go out and "hang ten" since it's so rough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ClapClap

Actually, Phish and Piwi, instead we should go and have a brew some-where saturday avo and plan the coro trip,  any other takers???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kayaker Nath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 9:52pm
Kayaker Nath View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yeah guys, count me in. Id consider myself an 'ok' fisherman but if can help anyone with surfing lessons then let me know. Id be happy to help.

Im back in the land of the living so give me call... 021 296 7079 Nath.

Otherwise give me a call at Kathmandu Tga.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 9:07am
bush View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good beer weather. might be able to force one down somewhere. about to head down and see what the sea is doing but sounds rough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 10:42am
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah mate 4pm sounds all good what you guys reckon?
Page  <1234 1025>