BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 10151016101710181019 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raymond Luxury Yacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 7:35pm
Raymond Luxury Yacht View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Okay this might sound like I’m full of it… but… our kayaks are way more capable than most of us think. Those days when the surf is good… you can make it in your kayak. Punching waves is what they do well. On bigger days you’ll probably broach and have a swim in the way in, but so what if it’s on the way in… just tie everything down and enjoy the dip!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 8:55pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

That's true. If you commit to going out when there are waves then there are plenty of doable days.
I look for flattish days unless I haven't been out in a while then I might get braver like last week when it was 1.5m
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swainsnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 10:06am
Swainsnow View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Getting permission to post is almost as traumatic as surf but I made it, maybe the surf is next. Many thanks for the advice guys. Here come the excuses as weak as they are, putting kayak on roof instead of on trolly and 3 minutes to Pilot Bay. About a 15/20 minute walk with trolly to Main beach by Leisure Island( lock wheeleeze to wave cafe as they don't fit in pro 400) with the added fun of looking for gear after dumping(what was that about tying things down?). Anyway it is good to have options. Do many of you use Mr Bixpy? For shorter trips I leave him home. I use about half the battery going to Past A beacon from Pilot Bay but paddle all the time. Old arms are not moving as fast as earlier days before kayaks. Maybe I should have started kayaking earlier then 74. After 4 years I'm still on a steep learning curve.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 12:46pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good effort at 74 Swainsnow.
Slater uses Bixby and launches at Pilot Bay and heads out behind Rabbit and further.
Leisure island offers that calm area one side or the other. My dad is 92 and still sea kayaks. The guy in Taranaki forum user Rainbow goes out after tuna 10k out and he's 80 something. I'm only 54 and feel the aches 😁
I wonder if the new pf400 will have a bigger hatch for the trolley
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swainsnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 9:01pm
Swainsnow View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Now 78 and it isn't easier but have to do it. Use it or lose it and after a career as a drunken sailor I'm a bit more sensible now, if kayaking is sensible. I've read about Rainbow and his offsider Rookie-what a pair. Had a yarn with Rob Fort about them a few months ago. I like hearing that your dad is 92 and still sea kayaking-great!! I'm almost finished with a kayak and hatch is big enough for Wheeleeze. I have both small and regular models and would not like to use other ones I've used or seen over sand or rocks or anything. I use it to take 400 to the beach and that would be just over a kilometre. The excitement for the new 400 is building but I could get no secret news out of canoe and kayak here in the Mount.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote G Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 9:29pm
G Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great to see all the action guys. I am living Gizzy way now - need to take up surfing Piwi! Have been out here bugger all. RLY - I gave up trying to surf in after some spectacular turtles. Had the yak go over me a few times. Everything tied down or in the tackle pod. Moken took a whack to the head once and saw stars. A few years back I started to just hop out. Paddle in as far as you can go, and at that moment you know so well, just hop off, hold yak, get to the back and it goes like a windsock. Only once been over my head, but next wave sorted that out. Get to the front when you can and drag it out. Much easier and safer  - but probably less fun.Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 5:48am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good to hear fromyou Gdog. Yeah Gizzy has great surf. Not sure about their kayak fishing but you might find others there through Facebook groups.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 5:50am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Swainsnow I have the small Wheelez and even they work well where the ctugs get caught.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swainsnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 6:46am
Swainsnow View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Besides not fitting in the yak the only problem I have with wheeleeze is locking them up while out. Use a dinghy stand in the Mount and the Wave Cafe lets me lock it to their tow bar. Don't want to donate them to someone I don't even know. I haven't used the small ones yet but will need height extensions on my regular one due to depth of keel of my next kayak. As for using them they are great.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 7:16am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

What kayak are you getting Swainsnow?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swainsnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 7:44am
Swainsnow View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

During the first lockdown I made a couple of Greenland paddles and for the last one I started a CLC Sea Island Sport sit on top kayak. a few people have built them but I haven't seen any up close yet. 4.7 m and 66cm wide. I would put a photo here but how to baffles me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swainsnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 7:51am
Swainsnow View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I’m hoping I figured it out on my iPad.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 11:09am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Wow great job it looks awesome.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote G Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 5:05pm
G Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That's a thing of beauty Swainsnow. For whoever cares, I have big Wheelez - and I can get them in the front of my Reload. Frame and all. Yes Piwi not much action down here. But I am going to get into it. Have met a couple of dudes - I'm not on facebook. Might have to bixby it so can travel further out and deeper. I think targeting Kingis might be more the go. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 5:59pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Let us know what you catch down there Gdog. I follow the napier guys a bit on YouTube etc and they do pretty good on gurnard and snapper in the warmer months.
I think it's more of a bait fishery rather than softbait ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 7:21pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Softbait always piwi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 7:27pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yeah I think they work every where it's just some areas they don't use them enough 🙂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote G Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 10:56pm
G Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Agreed DT. Bait guys I have been out here with catch sharks. I will stick to softies and sabikis for livebaits. Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raymond Luxury Yacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:32pm
Raymond Luxury Yacht View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I find you need to anchor if using smelly bait, and use drift anchor with softbait. I don’t like using a bottom anchor in the open sea - too scared it will pull me under if a rogue swell comes through!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 5:50pm
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to hear from you G dog
Page  <1 10151016101710181019 1025>