BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 993994995996997 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 6:24am
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Spot R was okay. New Year revellers were still partying in the reserve when I arrived 4:30am.

Conditions were like a pond. No swell or whitecaps.

Headed west and paddled 2.4km to the 20m depth and did a big drift towards Maketu. The curly tail and microjig lumo were popular. Took 2 good snapper home. Got plagued by heaps of small snapper. Caught and released a 76cm kingfish. Caught that kingfish on my very light microjig combo. Took 15 mins to get it on the kayak. It was lots of fun.

I was caught and lost a big king while softbaiting. It pushed my 2500 Stradic to it’s limits.

Back to the beach at 9:45am just at the change of tide.

Saw some sharks around. A camper had caught a massive bronzie that night before.

I haven’t paddled in months, my body is feeling a little stiff today.

Good to be back. I didn’t tip over and damage my gear at spot r for once. 😀

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 12:34pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nice one Schecter thats an eventful morning. Nothing worse than drunk people at your launch spot. Apparently there was a fire there from fireworks the other day.
I turned up at Harrisons early one morning a few years ago and there was a heap of dudes partying and bottles all over the beach.
To their credit the whole lot was tidied up by the time I came in.

Noponies and me planning a Monday session not sure of location yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 11:42am
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome stuff Schecter. Good to see you into it. The EBOP comp will be here before we know it and we’ll probably have a catch up then.
Slow but steady morning out with piwi , gdog and no ponies. Ended up with 5 and a load of little ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote G Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 12:09pm
G Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good morning out with the lads. All done by 7am.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 1:15pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yep nice out there and home early. Kept 3 pannies and a Terakihi on a crazylegs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 1:37pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went out with G Gog, Piwi and Allpom. Ended up with 4 nice pannies, after I stayed out a little longer than the rest chasing that one last one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 2:17pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome stuff guys.  Bloody shame I couldn't catch up with you.  Allpom - I'll be there.  I'm looking forward to May already.  

Happy new year guys.  Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 1:50pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Sad news with the fatal shark attack at Waihi Beach. I guess it was a great white ?
They do get the odd one at Bowentown etc.
Bit close to home. I always felt pretty safe swimming at Papamoa but this might change things.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 2:11pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes, sad news for sure. Tough to deal with, my utmost sympathies to family.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 5:28pm
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

😢
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 10:53am
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Managed to get out this morning off Whangamata.

Fished around the islands in about 10m of water for a return of 5 pannies. Aside from the first on a jig, the rest were caught on the drop, quite close to the surface.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:37pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nice one Dale. Good result for a new area.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:55pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah, I had low expectations. Always good to exceed them Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:14am
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Eastern BOP kayak fishing club are meeting at the boulders car park tomorrow morning , small car park in between pikowai and Murphy’s on matata straights. Launching 6.30. Anyone welcome. There are some prizes for club members, but a $5 sweep for the heaviest snapper under 60cm, anyone can take part in the sweep. Come and meet the club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:17am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Thanks Mark I will be there. Keen to fish this area.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raymond Luxury Yacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:58pm
Raymond Luxury Yacht View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I’m going to go tomorrow morning, probably karewa or taylors.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 12:53pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out again from Whangamata. Tried around the islands for a heap of little stuff, a few marginal throw backs in amongst the hordes of 20cm snaps.

Gave up and paddled out to 20m, dropping down on any sign I saw. Picked up two, one at 37 and the other around 47.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raymond Luxury Yacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 12:53pm
Silver
Silver

Lots of these around this morning. Kept 3, just for today’s dinner. Back in car park before 7:30. Bronzie sent me in!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 12:55pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice spot for filleting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raymond Luxury Yacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 1:32pm
Silver
Silver

Ha, I have to go outside to fillet so I pick my spot well! I have sheep for company too!
Page  <1 993994995996997 1025>