BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 946947948949950 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CB Kayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 12:44pm
CB Kayaker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good stuff Quibbi. I'm heading over there for 5 days tomorrow. Just in time for the swell and chop!! Don't think I can handle looking at the kayak in the garage and not using it, so will try trolling a rapala in TG harbour out from Pilot Bay. Join up if you want? Has anyone had any luck with JD's near structure in the harbour?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 12:55pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

CB I found the papamoa snapper

I've heard there are JDs around the wharves. We get a few off papamoa as a bycatch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CB Kayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 1:18pm
Bronze
Bronze

Ha ha, I prefer them fresher than that! Hey, if you are around during the week and have time I'll buy you a coffee and at least say Gidday and fish perhaps next time. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 3:32pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Sounds good CB.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 7:33am
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Found them for you last night Piwi they took the morning off.

70cm on the dot
Turtle free since 2012
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 7:37am
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey guys! I’ve been land locked with a dodgy ankle for over a month but finally managed to drag the yak down to the beach on Thursday. Launched at about 6:30 and just fish the last of the incoming. Was a bit dumpy up my end, had to time the way out and back in also. With so long off water I was a bit lost where to start and finding them at all was a mission itself!
Only came home with 3 pannies and sent a few smaller ones back, covered a fair bit of ground and got out as far as 30 mtrs. Nice to be on the water again and nice to eat fish again!! Can’t bring myself to buy that old looking fish they have at pak n save 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CB Kayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 10:48am
Bronze
Bronze

Just arrived and overlooking beach left entrance (Harrisons?) by surf club. Looking pretty lumpy and choppy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 10:57am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nice fish Pete especially for papamoa.

Water has come up 2 degrees since Friday. A striped marlin was spotted in 29m off Pukehina on the 28th November.
That would be an interesting fight on 15lb softbait gear.

CB Harrisons is about 500m down towards the mount. If you go for a walk it's where the drain water from papamoa waterways runs onto the beach.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CB Kayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:30pm
Bronze
Bronze

Well I took then kayak and launched at Pilot Bay this morning. Tried some soft baiting around the channel markers as there was quit a bit of sign on the sounder. No takes and ended up paddling over the the jetty on Matakana Island. Plenty of sign but apart from a few nibbles on SB no takers. Saw a kingie smash something right at the jetty. Long hard trip back with wind and tide. Thursday looks like a possibility for Papamoa beach according to swellmap. Will keep an eye on that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Newbie11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 9:52pm
Newbie11 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have always found it difficult in the harbour with softies for snapper. JDs and kings are common along the port wharves however wouldn't recommend unless near the ends with the shipping traffic being busy at the moment. Snaps hold in the entrance and just inside which we get on sliders not softies, yet this is in the boat as current rips through and you're having to constantly reset the drifts. You get a small window either side of the tides where it is slow enough to fish there but again with all the boat traffic can be difficult. Whenever i fish the harbour in the yak it if often with a burley anchored on the flats and half a pillie or anchovy. Change of light and can normally bin up within half an hour to an hour when numbers are around, in 4-6 weeks snaps should move in in numbers. Normally I won't fish for them any deeper than 2-3 metres there. Plenty of bronzes taking fish at the moment so unsure whether I want to deal with them in the trail at this stage ahah, however I am planning a first light strayline session early Wednesday in the usual spots to see what is around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CB Kayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 9:59am
Bronze
Bronze

Interesting Newbie. I had intended to try along the wharves for JD but there was a cruise liner tied up and too much other activity for me to feel comfortable. I guses like allot of people say, in the harbour you need to know the productive spots. Have a good one Wednesday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote quibbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:59pm
quibbi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

How’s it looking for tomorrow morning sun rise?
Anyone going out around Papamoa?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CB Kayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 2:24pm
Bronze
Bronze

I am keen if the conditions are good. Swellmap still looks a bit iffy for tomorrow. Thursday is better. What do others think about how well swellmap (Tauranga virtual wave rider) relates to Papamoa?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 2:30pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Surf will be up tomorrow I'm pretty sure. It should drop to about 1m by the end of the week.
I've never done well in the harbour CB and the boat traffic is a worry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CB Kayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 4:28pm
Bronze
Bronze

Piwikiwi, I sent you a PM
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 6:54pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Plenty of fish in the harbour, in between all the weed.

There are usually fish riding the current bow waves off the ships when they are tied up at the wharf. Also, usually plenty doing the same in the current bow wave off the tugs. Easy to get these with softies or micro jigs.

I like fishing the harbour for a change of scene, pity the snapper taste like mud compared to the paps versions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Newbie11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 9:10pm
Newbie11 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Decided Thursday will be my harbour fish looking slightly better, so will go for a burley session then. Friday swell looks to be dropping to be manageable so will head off taylors if it allows.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CB Kayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:03pm
Bronze
Bronze

Looking at going out from the Domain tomorrow morning. Swellmap has 7s and 8s for the day. Conditions in the morning will dictate, but here’s hoping.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Newbie11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:16pm
Newbie11 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I will look to head out Friday for anyone keen. Swell supposed to drop to half a metre according to all sites which is fine. Tomorrow is definitely a harbour fish for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:08pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good luck Newbie probably saturday for me.

CB it should be nice tomorrow. Hope you can catch a few.
Page  <1 946947948949950 1025>