BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 916917918919920 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:42pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

See what A bouy reads in morning then
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lorimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:09am
lorimer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

‘A bouy’? Is this something in the ocean taking readings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:37am
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It’s on port of Tauranga website under harbour conditions - gives u wave height and wind strength

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:57pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The tasline is really good braid! You can get custom lengths too. I run the 12lb or 8lb for softbaiting, no waxy coating, casts really well too. If you’re not running a mono backing then put a couple of winds of insulation tape on the empty spool and it bites in, I put another wind of tape over the top of the first wind of line too. I run the 20lb on my Trinidad 10a and that’s really nice also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:01pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yeah I need to buy some more Tasline braid too.
I have kept this quiet but....I've rooted my top guides on 2 new Okuma Xfactor rods by reeling my jigheads tight into the top guide instead of keeping the jighead in the keeper loop at the bottom of the rod. Anyway lesson learnt !

Rockman the only thing I would add is that doesnt look like a proper softbait rod ie: with a stiff sensitive tip. It makes a big difference on detecting bites and setting the hook.

Lorimer yeah put that website into your favourites then when you wake up at 5am to go fishing check the reading at A buoy and quite often it can save a wasted trip if unforeseen surf or wind has got up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 8:20pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Top guides are an easy fix piwi! They are just glued on so if you heat them with a lighter they slide off. Hunting and fishing fitted my last one free when I purchased the guide, only about $10
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 8:28pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yeah thanks I dropped them into Decoro and he quoted me $10 each.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 9:50pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What ever server bug was stopping me from posting seems to have gone.

I've got Powerpro, Kastking (Chinese off Aliexpress ) and Daiwa braid on my reels at the moment. The best is the Powerpro, worst the Daiwa, which fades out and wind knots like a donkeys dong. For $8 for a 300m spool, the Kastking is the best value.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lorimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 6:10am
lorimer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Another newbie question ...

Where do I aim for to target snapper?

e.g. How far out from the beach should I paddle? Any specific depth range? I have cheap fish finder from AliExpress that seems to give accurate depth.

Is there any specific sea bed e.g. is there a reef or rocky ground or is the sandy areas ok?

Cheers
Rob
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 6:59am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Lorimer off Papamoa we usually paddle out 1 to 2 kms. It's about 10m deep at 1k and 20m at 2k. You can pick up fish from behind the surf zone but less common. Not much reef out there but some stuff here and there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockman39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 9:55am
Rockman39 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yup still rod hunting. The soft tips are pretty expensive and so is the taseline 🤪 but I guess you get what you pay for. Is the soft tips so you can pickup bites on the way down?

Is anyone going out tomorrow? Forecast looking pretty good 😀

....and yeah that A beacon info real handy! Cheers for that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockman39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 9:58am
Rockman39 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by noponies noponies wrote:

I've got Powerpro, Kastking (Chinese off Aliexpress ) and Daiwa braid on my reels at the moment. The best is the Powerpro, worst the Daiwa, which fades out and wind knots like a donkeys dong. For $8 for a 300m spool, the Kastking is the best value.

$8?! What's the quality like? I think I'm gonna try the taseline or the BM rainbow tho.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whoopa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 10:43am
whoopa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Been doing ok in 22 meters got some pannies and heaps of trevellay and a king over 1m heaps of fish about
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 11:17am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Rockman Im heading east tomorrow. PM me if keen. Will be early and back by lunchtime. Stiff tip for softbaiting so you can detect bites and set the hook is my understanding.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 12:09pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Rockman39 Rockman39 wrote:

Originally posted by noponies noponies wrote:

$8?! What's the quality like? I think I'm gonna try the taseline or the BM rainbow tho.

Hi Rockman39, i have tasline braid at cheapest prices around. Also my jigs and sliders are half price of the opposition( better quality too). Check them out at
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Cheers
Kevin
ps, lots of the guys on here use my gear Wink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 1:30pm
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heading out with Andrew early
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 5:43pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

+1 for Kevs (Kaveman) gear!

The Kastking braid has been totally fine, never had any issues with it. I'd get it again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 8:46pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tomorrow looks good, best time of the year too so no excuses
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:54am
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No pressure DT.
Again awesome conditions. Bit chilly , had a couple on board before sun up. Paddled out a bit further. Had a great fight with my first king fish for a while. A good tow around. It took me to my best 2 snappers. Happy days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockman39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 11:01am
Rockman39 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice Allpom! I got skunked out paps, current was pumping! Oh well maybe next time 😏
Page  <1 916917918919920 1025>