BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 888889890891892 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 6:51pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

U go east Jordan?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jordan_jh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 9:12pm
Jordan_jh View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Na mate didn’t end up going. To many whiskeys last night. Woke up crook as
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 10:10pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ha ha - hope the kids took it easy on ya
Didn’t bother myself as A Buoy was reading 2.7 metres at 11 pm last night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlindFishingNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 9:04am
BlindFishingNZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Guys, I've been reading this thread for years, suffering yak envy on a regular basis...well, next week, I'm finally getting myself a brand spankers Viking tempo II!

I have a couple of questions if that's all good?

We'll be doing several practice runs in the harbour before going anywhere near the surf, and this will involve either launching or coming home in the dark, so what do you guys use for lights?

Are there nav lights you can get, or do you just use a 360 light?

And, once in the surf, how important is a drogue?

We always use one on a boat, but the boat catches a lot more wind, so does the drogue help enough to make it worth while getting one?

Also, tiedowns or leashes for everything, I've got them already, except, do you guys tether yourselves to the kayak as well?

I've read stories of people falling out and then the wind blowing the kayak away!

Cheers in advance for any help!

Tony
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 12:00pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Tony
I don't tether myself. A drogue is a must when drift fishing in wind. It's not used in the surf. A kayak is more effected by wind than a boat.
The safest thing is to try and fish with a buddy then they always have your back. A VHF radio attached to your PFD is recommended.
You can buy a flag light combo from a kayak shop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlindFishingNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 12:14pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by piwikiwi piwikiwi wrote:

Hi Tony
I don't tether myself. A drogue is a must when drift fishing in wind. It's not used in the surf. A kayak is more effected by wind than a boat.
The safest thing is to try and fish with a buddy then they always have your back. A VHF radio attached to your PFD is recommended.
You can buy a flag light combo from a kayak shop.

Cheers mate, yeah re drogue, I didn't actually mean in the surf, as in breakers, I just meant after launching off the beach into open sea, but yes, I've used one many times in a boat, just thought maybe a kayak wouldn't pick up as much wind, that's bizarre it's the other way round!

Re the VHFs, I've seen quite a few handhelds that seem to have either very poor or virtually no reception...so I'm assuming these are used mostly between yaks on the water, opposed to loging trip reports etc?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pop Rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 3:27pm
Pop Rocks View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You guys must be chomping at the bit to get out there. The surf has been up for a while and there is a lot of action just out from the domain. Been surfing every day this week and each time there have been work ups very close to shore. There was one today that was about 100m from the line up.

The swell drops off this weekend and it looks flat all next week. Hope you get out there and score some.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 5:42pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yeah Poprocks just got back from my 2nd surf today awesome fun waves and just nice to cool off. Waters warm 21c.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 6:52pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tony,

Railblazer do a white nav/360 light for kayaks which runs off AA batteries, its pretty good. Comes with a pole to get some extra height. For work light in the yak, I use a combo of the nav light and a head lamp. If I'm fishing in the harbour at night I often take my super bright torch which I aim at boats coming too close. Tethers are good for coming in through the surf, in the harbour I've often left them off.

Swell aint the problem where I am at Mangawhai, its this damn wind, been blowing and blowing. Saturday looks like I might get to dust off the yak, been quite a while.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlindFishingNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 9:19pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by noponies noponies wrote:

Tony,

Railblazer do a white nav/360 light for kayaks which runs off AA batteries, its pretty good. Comes with a pole to get some extra height. For work light in the yak, I use a combo of the nav light and a head lamp. If I'm fishing in the harbour at night I often take my super bright torch which I aim at boats coming too close. Tethers are good for coming in through the surf, in the harbour I've often left them off.

Swell aint the problem where I am at Mangawhai, its this damn wind, been blowing and blowing. Saturday looks like I might get to dust off the yak, been quite a while.

Cheers mate, yeah, after asking, I googled it, found the railblazers light kits, called Viking and got a visible kit added to the package!

I'll hold off on the tethers for now, as it looks, there will be bloody ropes going everywhere, so I'll wait until we're on the water and can actually see how things are working!

Also, we'll be harbour bound for a while so shouldn't hit too much rough stuff!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Allpom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 3:40pm
Allpom View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

https://www.facebook.com/57634002872/posts/10157140496227873/
How about giving this a go rather than the back paddle technique.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beernayarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:03pm
beernayarn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No thanks Allpom!!
On the other hand, I'm looking at heading out in the morning, Taylor's I reckon about 5am if I can trust that this wind is Going to drop!??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote museyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 8:42am
museyak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

BlindfishingNZ is that the 2man kayak you’re getting ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlindFishingNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:09pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by museyak museyak wrote:

BlindfishingNZ is that the 2man kayak you’re getting ?

Yes mate, as my user name suggests, I'm blind!

As in see nothing!

I could probably use a single yak and just fish in a group, but then there's the whole fish ID problem...not too keen on grabbing a cuda when I thought it was a feisty trev for example!

Not to mention getting off and on the beach dodging waves, do you have one?

A tempo 2 I mean!

I've been in one a couple of times...I'm a fat ******* also so the extra weight capacity is awesome!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote museyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:27pm
museyak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ok wow !

that’s pretty awesome to be yak fishing then yes definitely need to have a good wingman haha

No I don’t have a tempo 2 but have been wanting to have a go on one as my daughter has outgrown the kid pod in my reload and they look good for a double
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beernayarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 2:40pm
beernayarn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ok.....it appears Taylor's isn't firing just yet! Too soon in the year but managed 3 snaps all give and take 40s. Wind wasn't too bad, certainly not lake conditions but good enough to get some time in the seat!

And nice work blind Fishing!! Commendable
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlindFishingNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 4:25pm
Silver
Silver

Ok wow !

that’s pretty awesome to be yak fishing then yes definitely need to have a good wingman haha

No I don’t have a tempo 2 but have been wanting to have a go on one as my daughter has outgrown the kid pod in my reload and they look good for a double

Wel mate, once I've got everything set, you're welcome to volunteer for the other seat to try mine out!

Even if it's just a spin round the harbour!

I'm a very capable fisherman, don't need help with anything so it's not like babysitting!

Check out my BlindFishingNZ facebook page, and the clips on youtube, ep-2 is probably best, and plenty of photos of good fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlindFishingNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 4:26pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by beernayarn beernayarn wrote:

Ok.....it appears Taylor's isn't firing just yet! Too soon in the year but managed 3 snaps all give and take 40s. Wind wasn't too bad, certainly not lake conditions but good enough to get some time in the seat!

And nice work blind Fishing!! Commendable

Thanks, will hopefully meet you all on the water one day soon...just don't wave, blind people never wave back!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote museyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 4:54pm
museyak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by BlindFishingNZ BlindFishingNZ wrote:

Ok wow !

Wel mate, once I've got everything set, you're welcome to volunteer for the other seat to try mine out!

Even if it's just a spin round the harbour!

I'm a very capable fisherman, don't need help with anything so it's not like babysitting!

Check out my BlindFishingNZ facebook page, and the clips on youtube, ep-2 is probably best, and plenty of photos of good fish!

Yeah I’ll go for that
Be keen to go out with you when it’s all ready to go
Have you got someone to set it all up for you ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 5:16pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Beernyarn getting a feed on a tough day is a good result. That was a giant moon this morning. The wind looked to be ok for you.

Blind fishing nice video and a solid 18lber. I will video you and Muse coming back through 2m surf Haha.
Page  <1 888889890891892 1025>