BOP Yakmen

Page  <1 873874875876877 1025>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cam man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 7:39am
Cam man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good going guys can't beat those trevs for making raw fish ,
Just been sorting out gear for coro next week. Found I had left a kaveman soft bait in with a pack of zmans, preaty much dissolved them ,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 9:23am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yeah Cam I tried one in with zman as an experiment and it shrivelled like a pen-is after an icy swim😁
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 3:04pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

🤔
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Flannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 6:20pm
Flannel View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah do it noponies, I would love to know what they are. There is nothing more frustrating than heaps of sign but no takers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 6:28pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Prob Terakihi. Ive heard that certain micro jigs catch Terakihi. Can anyone confirm this ?
Would be easier to have that onboard rather than a bait setup.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 8:15pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'll get a goPro from work and drop it down next time I'm out.

Andy, supposedly the red/lumo stripe ones; http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/topic129123.html But I have my doubts. I've dropped that colour down when catching tarakihi on bait, and only caught snapper. It may be been too big though (60g).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 6:03am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yeah i saw that post on FB. Someone else mentioned a pink one but they seem way to big. Maybe a tiny one would work but still need the weight to get down !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 6:58am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Piwi for terakihi you don't need a separate "bait" rod, I just use my soft bait outfit (we got 40 on Saturday just using the soft bait rods) and just tie on a swivel and attach one of Uncles Terakihi rigs on. These have tiny hooks and because the hooks are tiny you don't need much bait. For bait I use either bits of good quality squid, tuatua (cut into 2 or 3 pieces) or skippy (belly is best as its tougher and stays on hook well and can usually catch 2 or 3 terakihi per bait). As you are limited for space on a kayak I would make up little packets of 20 or so precut baits and freeze them to take out with you as needed. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 1:26pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Marligator yeah you are right. In fact I carry 3 rods anyway so can have one set up for bait. The only hassle is an anchor. I dont really like using one on the yak. Can you drift through Terakihi or do you need to be stuck over them ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raymond Luxury Yacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 3:29pm
Raymond Luxury Yacht View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Please tell me those are terakihi you guys are "seeing"... I guess Dale's go-pro idea (will there be enough light down there?) and some small-hook-and-bait experimenting might confirm that. I have found tuatua works well for turkeys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 5:08pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Murphys Law if we take out anchors and bait we wont find them 😀
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 6:04pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If it is calm you can drift through them slowly, which is what I often do. Once you know they are terakihi you can then anchor on them. Out along Papamoa in 20-30m of water on the little patches of papa foul you will often see a lot of sign hard on the bottom, if you have a colour sounder and the sign is quite reddish it is usually just little snapper, however if the sign has quite a bit of green in it then there is a good chance they will be terakihi. If you don't have a colour sounder then it is going to be trial and error. If all you are getting is little snapper keep trying different parts of the papa foul until you get onto them or try somewhere else. The numbers of Terakihi off Papamoa is nothing like it was 10 years ago.

Also down off spot R there is quite likely to be terakihi right into 15m of water. To give you an idea of how shallow they can be. at Labour Weekend we were up at Opito Bay and my mate after having a scallop dive finished his tank off on a cray dive in 15m of water right in the bay and said he saw heaps of nice big terakihi and has seen them there a number of times this scallop season, he has never bothered trying to catch them though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 6:46pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Cheers Marligator. I have caught a few off Harrisons at anchor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 8:00pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Who knows if it will be light enough Mark. Most that sign I see is usually around 20m's, which is probably pretty dim at the bottom. Only one way to find out Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 8:05pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went up to the rob fort get together at weekend .
Met cam and muse at colville and decided to have a look at fletchers bay but whitecaps everywhere so came back to stony bay past port Charles and camped there overnight.
Strong wind thru the night but dropped slightly so able to get out and fish the relatively sheltered bay
Slow to start then fish every drop for about two hours but all just small pannies so nothing decent to weigh in for me .Cam had a decent Trev which got him second place.
I fluked an accom voucher for papa aroha for two nights as a spottie so stoked with that.
Good weekend with a well run event with awesome prizes on offer and a great meal provided as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gooch cramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 10:08am
Gooch cramp View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Unrelated to kayaking went out to white island for weekend plenty of kings on jig biggest myself 15kg. Gave me an appreciation for your monster muse. Awesome trip plenty of other species caught just a small matter of 60knot winds but who cares when your catching fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote museyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 11:37am
museyak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah Gooch I think the fight would be more intense hooking one while jigging ! I still haven’t managed one jigging yet gonna be giving it a go up North this weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 7:04pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Weather might be OK this weekend. Sunday looks the best so far.

Who's up for a fish?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote **SLATER** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 8:05pm
**SLATER** View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I’m keen for a Sunday session if this weather will play ball. It’s been a couple months for me 😥
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote ripples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 9:37am
ripples View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all, just to flag with ya'll our annual kayak fishing comp will be held later in the year for 2019. The date set down is Saturday the 4th May as usual with the briefing the night before at the Whakatane Sports Fishing Club. The reason for the later date for the comp is a better chance of settled weather and the fishing is way better. This will be our 10th comp and we are looking at making it the best ever with input from all our main sponsors. Details of categories and prizes will be out soon. A new section for the biggest snapper over 60cm (catch & release) will be included.
Further enquiries contact me or send e mail.

Jeff Symonds
President EBOP Kayak Fishing Club
Page  <1 873874875876877 1025>