best baked fish recipe in the world!

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best baked fish recipe in the world!
    Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 1:32pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

mum made up this recipe the other night with some fresh snapper... have to say it is easily the best tasting fish i've had in years..

first...
get the fillets of fish and make a parcel of tinfoil to wrap them in...
then coat the fish in coconut milk (sorry don't know exact measurements we tend to just throw everything in)...
now add some sweet chilly sauce, and squeeze half a lime over each parcel, then add a handful of fresh coriander over the fish...
sprinkle sufficient amounts of salt and pepper over the fish wrap the parcel up and bake in oven for 7-10 minutes depending on how big parcel is...

the coconut, chilly and lime mix together while cooking and infuse their flavours into the fish, the coriander is a must it really tops it off.

B....E.....A UTIFUL...

if you don't give this recipe a go in your lifetime you are missing out on something real special...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rank Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 2:24pm
Rank Amateur View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sounds good Levcat... If you can try to get hold of some vietnamese mint.  Its similar to Coriander but a bit sharper and more aromatic.  I love the stuff and you can use it to replace or even compliment coriander.  A few Garden centres stock it, and its cheap although it needs to be kept war and wet as its sub tropical and dies easily over the summer if it dries out.  Still I've had one alive for more than 2 years, which is also handy unlike coriader which dies pretty quickly.

Also try it in a seafood marinara - divine!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 6:16pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here is a similar but alternative recipe to try. It is also damn fine and comes from a chef that worked in the Onetangi hotel in the mid 1980's. Dish was called Gannet Rock Snapper if my memory is still working.
Again put the fillet in foil etc, but stuff the 'V' of the fillet with diced marinated mussels and a small amount of diced onion. Instead of coconut milk etc as a 'sauce', use about 2 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice and honey mix. Little bit of salt and pepper to taste, coriander on the top, wrap and bake as per the earlier recipe.
For those that don't like Mussels, use half a banana.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 8:36pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sounds real good you guys
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2008 at 11:47am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

And if you want it truly spectacular, wrap the filet in banana leaves before wrapping it in silver paper.

Incredible.

If the weather plays ball I may be able to give this a go this weekend. Like the sound of hte mussels, or I might just try some fresh cockles instead as they have a more subtle flavour. Mouth's watering just thinking of it.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 9:04am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Orgasmic sounding recipes guys!
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 9:11am
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hhmmmm banana that's interesting...

will have to give that a go sometime..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 8:21pm
The Wizard View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That sounds devine and also very easy. ThanksThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 7:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm going to give this a go tonight. I only really fry fish but do the occassional grilling thing so here goes ... I'll give you my opinion on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 9:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

OK I tried it. Very nice indeed, but I was a little shy on the sweet chili sauce and the coriander. A good change from the fried fish. Thanks Levi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2008 at 7:56pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just tried your recipe Levcat, and after reading Rank Amateurs comments regarding Vietnamese mint, decided to make up parcels of snapper using fresh Coriander, some using Vietnamese mint, and some using a mixture of both. Served them up with some Uncle Bens 2 minute rice of various flavours, to SWMBO. All were beutifull, but SWMBO preferred, the Coriander, whereas I preferred the mixture of both. Either way an excellent recipe for fresh snapper.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008 at 12:15pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Derek the Chef cooked some snapper fillets in foil the other weekend. He added a couple of slices of swiss cheese. That looked mouth watering!
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Charlie F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 11:21am
Charlie F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tried the recipe last night Levcat, used bananas and no lime juice. The crew thought it was great thanks.ClapHave taken to scaling rather than skinning snapps and find for recipes such as this the fillets slide easily off the tinfoil and don't disintegrate like skinned fillets sometimes do.
So many fish, so little time,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 4:44pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

sweet as guys.. glad u are liking it.
thanks for the constructive feedback, the recipe will be improved with bananas and vietnamese mint next time me thinks...

btw good idea charlie by just scaling the snapper..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote orange ruffie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 8:19pm
orange ruffie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

bloody tastey levcat you will have to thank your mum for me, just had ur baked snapper for tea and it went down like a treatWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beerbatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2009 at 9:28pm
beerbatter View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

LEVCAT - mate, just had this. Probably one of the most awesome flavours I've had in a long long time. This one will be hitting the table again... and again... and again. The missus absolutely loved it which will = more fishing trips Thumbs%20Up

Thanks for sharing this one!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2009 at 12:08am
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds too good not to try you guysThumbs%20Up. Now I just have to get out and catch enough fish to give this a lash!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyhoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 4:33pm
dirtyhoey View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

just about to try it tonight - looking forward to it with a cold beer!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2009 at 6:25pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good thread lads, Thumbs Up good to see some examples of the fish in tin foil, must try a few as we mostly bake in a shallow dish in the microwave sort of minute on each side and so is very quick and easy and above all healthy, no butter or fat fry up...

But then again the tin foil lets it all fuse into the fish, etc...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ritual Groove Meister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2009 at 9:44pm
Ritual Groove Meister View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

similarly, we make a sauce of coconut milk, sweet chilli sauce, lime juice and zest, and a handful of fresh cilantro (corriander)

we serve this over little prawn and grated kumura cakes
Page  12>