Starting Yamaha Outboards

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Yamaha Outboards
    Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 7:09pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For the second time in the past few weeks I helped someone start their Yammie 2 stroke outboard after almost flattening the battery this morning. In both cases the owners seemed unaware of the operation of the choke, and that these engines are often difficult to start when cold if you don't choke them. The guys this morning were sitting at the Gulf Harbour ramp trying to get going and had wound the battery almost flat whilst I was retrieving another boat beside them. They started to pull the boat back in with a dissapointed young lad seeing his days fishing dissapear so I poked my nose in (unsure whether I would be welcome or not) and suggested that perhaps I could help. The boat and engine appeared to be lovingly maintained, and those saltwater series Yammies are so simple/realiable that I was convinced that it was probably just a case of not knowing the correct process. Turned out that they were quite open to my approach,so I climbed on the boat and got the engine running with the last couple of turns left in the battery. Left them to relaunch the boat and take a happier young lad out for a fish.

Reason for this post is, I have seen lot's of people struggling to start their cold Yammie engines (usually succeed eventually), and the recent cases where I actually talked to these people made me realise that quite possibly many of them just don't know what to do. 99% of the people who read this probably won't learn anything, but with the large number of newbie Forum members today, maybe someone reading this might just be in the 1%.

So a simple check list after your initial pre-trip checks etc:
1) Pump the fuel bulb until very firm (this mornings case was only partially firm)
2) Lift the fast idle lever until it goes somewhat past the point where it gets hard to lift. This is the lever beside the throttle lever that many people think is the choke (as did the previous guys mentioned). Note that the lever does nothing in the first part of it's movement and it is only once you feel the extra resistance that it is starting to lift the idle speed. With the engine running one day lift this lever and see where it is with about 2500 - 3000rpm on the tacho. This is a good point to aim for when trying to start the engine.
3) Turn the key to the first (ignition on) position and then PUSH IT IN AND HOLD IT whilst turing the key to the start position and winding the engine over. (If you push the key in without trying to turn over the engine you should hear a 'click' as the choke solenoid operates). Wind the engine over for a reasonable period and it should start to get fuel through and fire. Don't forget to keep pushing the key in whilst turning the engine over.
4) As soon as the engine fires, release the key and pull back the fast idle lever to stop it revving it's head off. If it splutters and stops, repeat the process again. If it splutters and stops several times, lift the fast idle lever higher and try to start without using the choke to avoid potentially flooding the engine. If it stops trying to fire, try with the choke on again. Be prepared for the engine to rev it's head off when it starts and pull the fast idle lever back very quickly.
When the engine is hot, you should NOT need to use the choke or fast idle.

Often with newer engines you may not need the fast idle lever up, but you will need the choke. I usually have a quick try without the fast idle up and then put it up if the engine won't start, or starts and stalls again.

Every engine has it's own peculularities, so if what you do today works, don't change it. But, if you have a Yammie saltwater series and find it sometimes hard to start when cold, try the above and see what happens. I personally think that these are a great engine, and my experience has been that by following the above instructions they will mostly start very easily.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jake76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 7:29pm
Jake76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good advice tagit the first time I took the boat out had problems trying to start it.  got it started after a lot of trying then when we got back over the next few weeks kept starting it whilst cold at home practising at home so that i fully understood how the engine started. always start the motor the night before i am going out to get it going and what to prepare myself as to what to expect when I get on the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 7:46pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

or try what we do at the stack to the ..errr not so loved salties.not saying what tagit has stated is wrong just a different method to get same resultWink

prime bulb
pull out manual choke on outboard
leave idler arm alone
push in key and crank until it starts..it should not stall at this point, only if you use idler arm then it will flood
quickly push manual choke in
if still going gently raise idler arm to warm up engine..DONT SPANK IT!!...tharshing any cold motor 2 stroke or otherwise will only do harm
if motor stalls then only push key in crank with idler arm just up so motor idles properly..

would be interesting to see what the manual says about starting them..

Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote righthook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 7:56pm
righthook View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good advice guysClap

just to add to this having owned a few yams over the years I have noticed they become a bit of a pig to start from cold on anything other than NGK plugs,  they are the best by far IMO.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 9:06pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

further to righthooks suggestion something i use to find when i had m/bikes (b4 married) the newer engines love ngk plugs the older loved champion(pre 1990)dont know why but my yamaha and hd would chew out a ngk between the shore and puhoi and back but would run all day on champions just a thought if new to boating like me and have a older motor
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote studio1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 9:34pm
studio1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A note to add about the Merc Bigfoot 60HP I have been using....its very prone to flooding if you overdo it, and once this happens it seems best to leave it alone for a while. I also found that tilting the motor right up and leaving it for a few minutes helps drain it out.
Alternatively, the mechanic told us to simply push the key in twice and then turn to ignition. this seemed to clear any flooding and help with cool (not cold) starts too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote studio1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 9:35pm
studio1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A note to add about the Merc Bigfoot 60HP I have been using....its very prone to flooding if you overdo it, and once this happens it seems best to leave it alone for a while. I also found that tilting the motor right up and leaving it for a few minutes helps drain it out.
Alternatively, the mechanic told us to simply push the key in twice and then turn to ignition. this seemed to clear any flooding and help with cool (not cold) starts too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murf007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 10:10pm
murf007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I follow the same method as described by tagit and thus far not had any probs. 150 SW Yammie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzbwana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 6:38am
nzbwana View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

OR...........get a 4stroke
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FareGame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 8:57am
FareGame View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

good timing for the topic

Finally managed to get out with the boat for a long time - was serviced a couple of months ago; not used since

Ask the dealer about starting them after such a long time - advised to give it choke and it will fire - which it does normally do so after a long period of non use - takes a while though then bang away we go.

Last time it just didn't seem to want to go - in the holiday period of course

Called the mechanic (not the sales person) and he told me to pull out the manual choke (didn't even know it was still connected) as the electric choke doesn;t give it the boost required

did that and fired first time, no questions - saved the dayClap

now i start it this way first time for the day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 11:10am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting feedback on the manual choke. I will have to have a look under a cowling sometime to see what the difference between the electric and manual choke is. Always assumed that they were the same choke (flap over carb mouth). Must admit though if a cold engine is hard to start one of my first checks is the 'click test' to see if I can hear the choke solenoid operating. Manual choking makes that a non argument. Can see how this would also reduce the need for fast idle as the choke can be left on for longer than is easy to achieve with the key, so a good idea from Toby I think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tennut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 8:46pm
tennut View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i just tried to pull start my yammie 60 ,all i did was aggravate my tennis elbow!Is there any tricks to it?  I want to try it  before i have to do it!!I just turned on key and pulled on rope,, now im recovering,, maybe im just a wimp ,,,i guess panic would make you pull harder!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Force5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 9:18pm
Force5 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

SWS 150 yammie (year 2000). I have found a similar cold start method works for me.
Fuel primer pumped up, key choke to start and then fast idle lever if required.
You can hold in key choke to keep choke on for a while.
Never failed to start, great motor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2008 at 10:28am
MJ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I find too that a 2 stroke is much easier to start if you run it dry (out of fuel) at the end of the last outing. Otherwise the fuel left in the system evepaorates but leaves the oil behind making the re-start more difficult.
What do others think about running the motor dry?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote floater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2008 at 11:19am
floater View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

great thread, quite timely for me(relative newby) as my tinny has a 150 SaltWater Yam. I have noticed that it doesn't start as well as i'd like(doesn't start first pop cold). because of this i've been also using the choke when cool & again doesn't start first pop as i'd like. now i think i see my mistake I have some experimenting to do & some good hints. I also really like the manual choke idea(which i have never used as yet). 

cheers
..D
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2008 at 12:15pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by tennut tennut wrote:

i just tried to pull start my yammie 60 ,all i did was aggravate my tennis elbow!Is there any tricks to it?  I want to try it  before i have to do it!!I just turned on key and pulled on rope,, now im recovering,, maybe im just a wimp ,,,i guess panic would make you pull harder!!!

Pump the bulb hard. Pull out manual choke. Turn key on. Pull start. Difference when pull starting is you have to use the manual choke as you can't use the key choke. If engine is already hot, don't choke it. Practise pull starting with the engine warm and once you have that worked out, try again using the manual choke when it is cold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tennut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2008 at 3:37pm
tennut View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

thanks tagit,will do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BLACK BETTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2008 at 8:44pm
BLACK BETTY View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

as far as i no the old suzuki 2 strokes had the push in key choke aswell????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mac the knife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 8:31am
mac the knife View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The solanoid on my 115 does not always work , I have to push the start button in several times for it to operate, failing that I use the manual choke . If I haven`t started it for say a couple of weeks I`ll turn the motor over for 10 seconds with no choke or throttle just to get things moving.
when that shark bites....!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnny_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 3:29pm
johnny_A View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great idea to try out pull-starting your motor 'in the comfort of your own home'. 

We did this with our 60HP Yammie just to make sure we had the right piece of knotted rope, screwdriver that fitted the flywheel cover, etc.  Worked a treat. 

Was only a few trips later that the battery completely died out on the water with first-time guests on board.  By knowing what to do I had the engine running in only a few minutes - no harm done, and no need to worry about whether it would start whilst bobbing around in the chop at anchor.  Phew!

An excercise well worth the effort in my opinion.
Page  12>