Inboard vs Outboard

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote studio1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inboard vs Outboard
    Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 9:58am
studio1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So....my preference is for an outboard to save on cockpit space and less maintenance.
I've been looking at new & near new 6.5-7m HT glass boats such as the Haines Hunter 660 hardtop with 200HP Yamaha 4 stroke. (my preference at the mo).

The possibility could arise of buying a mint and fully optioned (50hrs) Raylass 730 HT with 320HP 6.2L Mercruiser for a genuine bargain (less than the Haines).

My query is around the inboard engine - I'm guessing this is going to be ridiculously thirsty, but what other differences should I consider?

Cheers,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Imortal2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 10:01am
Imortal2 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

thirstier, heavier and will not ride as well as the haines hunter. 660 haines is a mean boat. but i would atleast put a 225 4 stroke on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lynxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 10:21am
lynxed View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

INBOARDS V OUTBOARDS

The Independent Facts

Silver Tiger Builds both Inboard Diesel & Four Stroke Outboard driven Powercats. We keep no allegiance to any manufacturer however we will recommend what we believe is the best solution for your requirements.

Many people are curious about the fuel consumption on the Outboard Driven Powercats believing that they are too expensive to run. What follows is the result of independent testing of identical boats, one Diesel & one Four Stroke Outboards.

Keep in mind that the fuel consumption on a Powercat is better than that of a Monohull. Your fuel bill is only around 5% of the total cost of owning a boat.

After testing two identical hulls (9.75m twin Honda 150 Hp & 9.5m twin Volvo D3 160 Hp) we have found the following.

The Outboard boat burns 2 liters per nautical mile at 20 knots.

At present NZ fuel costs this is $2.80 per nautical mile

At present AUS fuel costs this is $2.40 per nautical mile

The Diesel boat burns 2 liters per nautical mile at 20 knots.

At present NZ fuel costs this is $2.00 per nautical mile

At present AUS fuel costs this is $ 2.50 per nautical mile

When you calculate the difference in cost between installing the Outboards vs. Diesels, the price differential is $40000.

This means that the boat will have to run 5750 hours before the cost between the outboards & Inboards becomes the same with NZ fuel costs. In Australia the Outboards will be cheaper to install & run from the outset. The Diesels will never be cheaper to run.

Therefore contrary to popular opinion, four stroke outboards are definitely cheaper to run than inboard diesels

On the following pages you will see the speed & fuel burn graphs. The testing was carried out by an independent company, Diesel Fuel Evaluations Ltd In July 2005.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lynxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 10:24am
lynxed View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This testing was two years ago & the fuel costs have now risen however it is a good example of overall running costs.

Wayne from Volpower had me up about this at the Hamilton boat show. He stated that guys can find the extra capital to put ito the boat but are more worried about what comes out of their wallet each week at the fuel pump.

Then of course there is no b^&R%^ petrol on the eastern coromandel so it changes te advatages again...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wetdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 10:39am
wetdream View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Question you should maybe ask is: WHY is the Rayglass fully optioned with only 50hrs such a bargain????

Like us on: facebook/stanleysigns.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote studio1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 11:03am
studio1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My understanding is the owner wants out (needs cash) and has been unsuccesful at selling at a market price. Assuming the new Haines is 110K What do you think would be a bargain for the Rayglass which I wouldn't normally consider? (presuming there is nothing wrong with it).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 11:25am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is the inboard raw water cooled or does it have a heat exchanger? Personally I would never touch a raw water cooled inboard again due to the maintenance issues we experienced.
Next question is 'do you want to be wondering whether your boat will go bang everytime you turn on the ignition key?'
Next question after that is 'do you want to be able to sell it at some later stage?'

My belief is that modern 4 stroke outboards are the answer for most trailer boats and it is very hard to make a real case for I/B's in either petrol or diesel.
I am interested in Kel's results on Petrol vs Diesel above as they don't fit with the normal logic/science i.e. a litre of diesel contains more 'power' than a litre of petrol and is therefore normally more 'efficient' from a miles per litre point of view. Since the D3 Volvo is a latest generation 'common rail' engine it is hard to figure why the results are like they actually are. Anyway, in normal circumstances a diesel I/O will give you significantly better $'s per mile in fuel burn, and you will get some of the original price difference back at resale. Petrol I/O's are pretty much a liability in the NZ market.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wetdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 11:30am
wetdream View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think you would be hard pushed to get a NEW 660HT with all the fruit and 200 4/s for $110K wouldn't ya? Looks like a choice boat but, as for the rayglass a mate got a year old 2500 with the inboard with only 50 odd hours for $110k so a 730 I would think would be a "bargain" if it were around $75K depending on how old it was of course. You'll need to get some deep pockets with that inboard I'm thinking.
Like us on: facebook/stanleysigns.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 11:37am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Three people I know have purchased boats with Mercruisers.

They now share similar sentiments i.e. "never again."
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Legend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 12:04pm
Blue Legend View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Outboards were built for boats.  Inboards were built for cars. End of story. Some smartarse just decided if he put special gaskets through them he could sell them as marine and double the price.  Just my theory

The only advantage I have found with myOuch mercruiser is you can have hot running fresh water shower, good after doing a dive in the middle of winter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote studio1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 12:04pm
studio1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to hear some feedback lads - thanks. Greg - 660HT with all the fruit (and no trailer) - should be 110k. The one on the yard at Millers has a list price of 112 - i think this has most options and includes the trailer.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote studio1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 12:05pm
studio1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

BL - I won't tell the missus that then Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 4:37pm
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Originally posted by Bender Bender wrote:

Three people I know have purchased boats with Mercruisers.

They now share similar sentiments i.e. "never again."

I'm one of them and I did say that. I still say that.
Random musings on all sorts of things http://obaldnz.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote studio1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 4:50pm
studio1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What was your experience Obald?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 4:53pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

I can tell you the experience of the other two - started with minor overheating. Just had to keep replacing things until the problem was fixed. The headers are an astronomical price.

The first was up to about $5000 before he got it sorted. Boat was Ramco 680.

After replacing the headers and various other bits, fulla two got the overheating undercontrol. But he had a propeller problem - it kept spinning the hubs out of the centre of the props, and trying to get that sorted along with getting the right prop for the boat after the original failed. He's been working on that problem for 2-3 years now. Its cost him $6000. He thinks he has the right one now. Boat is a SeaRay 33.

(BTW - the SeaRay's problems started when they were returning from the Furuno one time and the stern leg simply let go and sent the centre driveshaft out through the top of the leg). The last Furuno was three years ago now - so that's how long the "issues" have been going on with the props.

That is simply garbage you don't need in your life.
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 7:34pm
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

My problems were mainly around cracked manifolds (I had to replace both in the space of two years and Mercury were less than forthcoming with their side of the warranty arrangements) and corrosion all over the cooling system and especially in the heat exchanger - on the seawater side obviously. And once you got that sorted you had to wrestle with the fuel consumption. To be fair I never had any trouble with the leg - but never again. My Mercruiser was in a 650 Ramco.
Random musings on all sorts of things http://obaldnz.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Blue Meanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 8:55pm
The Blue Meanie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There is definitely enough info here for me to say that I an't ever gonna get a Mercruiser inboard!

The outboard vs diesel comparison is really interesting too. On my imaginery dreamboat which is a large Whitepointer, I always imagined that it would be diesel powered. Economics aside, most still agree that diesels pull more game fish eh?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 9:08pm
The Gremlin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have own both an in board and an out board. I know which one I would one I would have and it an't the in board. I never trusted it and had alot of trouble with it. Since I have had the out board I have had no trouble. Mine due mine was a patrol not a diesel.
Nothing else to life but fishing and beer!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rotowarriors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 9:30pm
Rotowarriors View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Blue Meanie The Blue Meanie wrote:

There is definitely enough info here for me to say that I an't ever gonna get a Mercruiser inboard!

The outboard vs diesel comparison is really interesting too. On my imaginery dreamboat which is a large Whitepointer, I always imagined that it would be diesel powered. Economics aside, most still agree that diesels pull more game fish eh?

Me tooThumbs%20Up, It was the 8m Surtees, but since they canned that design, Whitepointer it is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 6:02am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[[/QUOTE]

Me tooThumbs%20Up, It was the 8m Surtees, but since they canned that design, Whitepointer it is.
[/QUOTE]

Hey Pete dont give up on that dream, I havent, Surtees are now building a 7.3m Gamefisher and there are plans to again build 8m boats 
Page  12>