Personal Preferences

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Personal Preferences
    Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 11:50am
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all,

Just out of interest I am looking to find out what some of your favourite shapes, colours, size and type of rubber compound of SP’s are.

This thread is NOT about comparing brands, nor scented vs unscented. I am purely just looking for what colours size and shape of lures have been most effective for you in the past.

Some of mine are….

Colour

Alewife – Lunker City Slug-Go’s

Ice Shad – Lunker City Slug-Go’s

Pillie – Squidgies

Evil Minnow – Squidgies

Sashimi Shrimp - Squidgies

Sparkling Anchovy – Catch

Bleeding Pilchard – Catch

Pink Piper – Catch

Smoke Shad – Strike King

Arkansas Shiner – Strike King

Baby Bass – Strike King

Blue Neon Pepper – Gulp

Lime Tiger – Gulp

Shape

I prefer a thin bodied lure like a jerk shad over a thick (tall) bodied lure like a swim shad as I only use worm hooks and they don't sit very well in deep bodied lures.

My favourite shapes would be,,,,

Catch – Anchovies, Pilchards, Piper

Slug-Go’s

Flick Baits - Squidgies

Size

6” – 7” is my preference but I would use bigger if they were readily available.

Favourite Compound

3X material by Strike King.

I look forward to seeing what you guys look for in a lure.

Cheers,
Josh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 12:46pm
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anything that will catch a farking fish Josh - that is helpful isn't it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 11:39pm
Monty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am starting hate the blardy nuke chook, but it still stands out to many.

I cant rightly say, the jerk style for 10 meters plus & the shads for less than 10, to get the action. Havent brought any Catch yet because I am trying to empty my Bunnings catch bag, I have most of the others you have mentioned but my first port of call is the dirty old sluggo in the red & black, then I venture deeper into the bag when nothiing happens.

My rusty 10 cents.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 8:23am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Colours- Historically-saphire shine, nuc chook, grey sand eel, grey smelt-all gulp one, gulp 2 yellow & brown. Lately pillies blu and lemon squidgie , small green youvellas and catch red piper going well.
Shapes-agree the thick bodies lures not ringing my bell either. Many sp's same shape but I prefer the thinner style gulps . You want a nice slim profile for the deep water stuf. Really whatever fits a worm hook nicely eh.
Size-have only very recently tried the bigger sizeshaving plenty of success on 3-5inch baits / sp's. True the better fish USUALLY take the bigger sp's but not always.

Whens the competition Josh?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 8:51am
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've got so many my favourite changes regularly. Sorry to be so unhelpful but what ever works on the day. Normally I'll have sapphire shine as a back up if nothing else working
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aharvnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 8:57am
aharvnz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Lime tiger, nuke chook (no really it works), sapphire shine and blue pepper neon in jerk shad Gulp and lately the pilly squidgies. But as they say, whatever works on the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 10:03am
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i` have to admit that the nuke chook is a big favourite of mine in the gulp range... pogy shape for deeper water and stick bait for water 30 metres and deeper or with alot of current. if the fishing is tough i will always pull out the gulp 3' pumpkin seed swimming mullet and that ALWAYS seems to produce a hook up for me...
after all these lures have been through i will literally try anything in my box including squidgies, exude, slugos, powerbaits, and especially one of the baits in the range of the zulu strike king range which are totally undestructable... favourite colours in that range are lumo, icey, and smokey
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tennut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 11:19pm
tennut View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Chartruese 4 inch swimming mullet ,5 inch lime tiger and had luck with just straylining a Foodsource bait ,,not sure of name ,but looks kind of like a cray tail ,,colour did not seem to matter, as long as it was on or near the bottom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2008 at 1:14am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Start every trip with pink shine if its early morning and the light is low,then move thru the colours quickly til the fish start coming on board.Start with a 5 inch jerk shad style then try a 7 inch bait every now and then.
However those gulp 6 inch grubs are doing the job when things are slow.
Have noticed the kingies like the lime tigers and were taking them on the drop for snapper,no fast retrieve needed with a 10kg specimen taking 1 by the boat on the surface..
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition