Fuel Flow and Economy Figures

Page  <1234 26>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2008 at 1:11pm
sarge View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just had 20 hr service on 150 suzuki, cost $394 all up.  I think service sched is once a year or every 100 hr, what ever is first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 1:17pm
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Date: 17/01/08
Boat: (Men In Black) Surtees 6.1m Workmate Special Custom
Size: 6.1
Weight: About 1700 KG
Engine: Suzuki DF150HP
Prop diameter and pitch: 15x21p
Weather conditions and general usage: .5 meter swell and some chop, Cruising and general softbait fishing.
Hours on water: 12
Fuel used: 94ltrs
Trolling speed: 6knots or thereabouts
Other notes: Launched Kawakawa Bay x3 adults on board, cruised up to Port Jackson @25knts (1.5hrs) motored around to Square Top, then to Channel Is, back to Square Top and onto Fletchers Bay then and out towards the Merc's, back to Kawakawa, total engine hours 6.2 averaged 15.16ltrs/hr top speed was 30knts average speed for the day was 24.7knts, not much slow speed stuff... and heaps of fish
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2008 at 12:34pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With the price of gas it looks like it should be a "Return of the trolling auxilliary"

My 5hp gets my 5.35m up to hull speed of around 6mph and burns bugger all fuel when compared with these huge outboards.

Given that 2,000 hours is considered the useful life of an outboard - these guys are depreciating their expensive main motors big time by using them to troll. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2008 at 1:28pm
skidder View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good point Joker but if you hook a blue and need to chase ...that 5hp might not do the jobLOL     need to restart the big toy and having just another thing to do in the resulting panic might mean a lost fish.Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote El_Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 7:10am
El_Robbo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would like to see your 5hp push the nose of my 6.35 Billfisher through the eye of the wind and hold you straight in a swell.  My 5hp used to struggle with my 550 mclay... and was only useful at live bait speeds, in calm water, where yes I don't think I even refilled my 10L fuel can in a year of mucking around.  It is now wrapped up in the garage...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2008 at 9:49pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Wetspot got down to 13l/hr at best yesterday trolling between 4.5-5.5knts on the esat coast. in brisk conditions and a 2.5m swell. Will be interesting to see if I can get this down further in easier seas :)  Bit of a saving over the max of 25l/hr the week before of the manukau in smooth to slight seas.

Will report back after further recon and experimentation
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 12:25pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Date: 25/1/2008

Boat: Surtees Barcrusher Xtra        

Weight: approx 1600kg

Engine: 115 4/s Mercury

Prop diameter and pitch: 17P

Weather conditions: 2-3m NE swell, light winds.

Hours on water: 11hrs

Fuel used: 77L for 63 miles travelled.

Trolling speed: 7knts

Other notes . Bottom fished for few hours then trolling rest of day. Averaged 1.2L per mile

Date: 26/1/2008

Boat: Surtees Barcrusher Xtra          

Weight: approx 1600kg

Engine: 115 4/s Mercury

Prop diameter and pitch: 17P

Weather conditions: 2-3m NE swell, 20knts southeast . Not very good conditions.

Hours on water: 3

Fuel used: 12L for 9.5 miles travelled.

Running speed: 23knts

Other notes . Ran to area and fished for few hours then run back to ramp. 1.2L per mile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 10:00pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Wetspot Update - Its just getting better and better

Date: 27/01/08
Boat: WETSPOT - 05 Bayliner Trophy 2352WA
Size: 7.3 on waterline
Weight: 2900kg about
Engine:5.0l MPI Mercrusier
Prop diameter and pitch: 17p
Weather conditions and general usage: Westcoast- 15-20knts 2mswell rising from SW
Hours on water: 9hrs
Fuel used: 169L
Trolling speed: 5.5 - 7.5knts
Other notes:
Still playing around with troll speeds and trim.Whereas I had anything up to 25l/hr in weeks gone by,  seem to be averaging around 13-14 l/hr at troll speed at moment and even got down to 10.5 at times in following sea and 11-12 punching back into that rising swell from the SW.  Al because of listning to advice on this forum which is awesome :)   :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote floater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 4:11pm
floater View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

interesting thread, i hope to contribute once i get my fuel computer in.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 10:09pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Got my best evfer economy out of the Suzuki DF150 today. Took Tiny(190kg) myself and John Moran plus a full boat of gear over to Port Jackson from Kawakawa Bay, went right round to Square Top and Little Stony Bay then back to Fantail and over to Hooks Bay and back home. Put 5.2hrs on the motor most travelling around 4100rpm (25knts) and used 73ltrs. Thats just over 14ltrs/hr of motoring.... must have been down hill because thats pretty good out of a 3ltr motor.
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote batfastard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2008 at 7:53am
batfastard View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we left whangaroa pulled plastic for 10 hrs down past the nine pin trench back to the cavalleys,then 8hrs on sun .on sat we spent most of the day punching into it .we used 296 ltrs was happy with that runnig 2x 200hp out boards on a 10 m boat
As my wife catches bigger fish than me, does that make me a bad fisherman or a great skipper.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote couda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2008 at 7:03pm
couda View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just got a 100hr service on a 2003 130hp yammy 2 stroke.
New plugs, impellor, filters etc $357 incl GST.
Fair price I thought.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2008 at 9:29pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

That's a dam good price couda, did it include labour... if it did that's outstanding
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote couda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2008 at 10:17pm
couda View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

MIB,

Owner operator who did his apprenticeship with the local dealership, and then went overseas and worked on superyachts. Came back to Napier and setup shop. $48 hr labour x 3.25hrs. Has 3 months forward work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wetdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 2:37pm
wetdream View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Date: 2/2/08
Boat: WetDream
Size: SF 650 Haines Hunter
Weight: 2000kg about
Engine: 200 Yammi 4/s
Prop diameter and pitch: 19?
Weather conditions and general usage: Westcoast- pretty good 1m plus winds 5-10
Hours on water: 12.5hrs
Fuel used: 151L
Trolling speed: 7knts 1800rpm
Other notes:
At trolling speed we avarage 7-9lph and most the fuel was burnt getting out to the 70mtr mark and coming back tru the bar with a little 40kn+ in the harbour.
Like us on: facebook/stanleysigns.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzbwana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2008 at 12:21pm
nzbwana View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yo Men in Black......are you smoking those soft plastics ???? No way your getting that fuel consumption at 4100rpm, check your figures! Mindyou like most soft rubber exponents I guess your prone to exaggeration
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2008 at 4:37pm
ian View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Date:9th feb
Boat: AMF prosport 190
Size:
Weight: unsure, about 600kg for hull plus motor 135kg, plus 300-400kg of anglers, gear, bait, gas! so maybe 1300kg tops
Engine: Johnson 115 oceanpro year 2000
Prop diameter and pitch: not sure sorry!
Weather conditions and general usage (i.e. snapper fish coz that's where it's at; or gamefish trolling). was calm but chopped up later. figures are on the calm bit
have a navman fuel flow sensor plugged into GPS so get accurate economy
flow 21L/hr at 3800 rpm at 21.5kn so 1nm/L. we used 30L from sandspit to fiarchild to takatu and home.
as an aside I found this formula showing prop efficiency, it calculates teh theoretical speed with 100% efficiency so calculte this and work out actual speed as a percentage of this, I think over 80% is the target.
RPM x pitch/final drive ratio
drink up stream of the herd
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2008 at 9:06pm
Barfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have just installed a fuel flow sensor on my 90Hp yammy (Yes folks, the EP60's have just arrived in at the importers).  Had my first outing yesterday (Saturday, on the Ytamata) so the readings are a bit inconclusive - having to dodge around yaughts etc, get out of the way of ferries etc. (bloody hell, those things mooooove!)
  Back to the fuel sensor.. it worked, but its a p@@@off having to install an extra switch to stop the NMEA units draining the battery. And, configuring the plotter to show the details of what it can tell you (the manuals do NOT tell all - had to search the internet for answers...
Anyway, heres some interim figures...
  Surtees 5.5 workmate, 3 POB, 1 scrawny (me), 2 largish mates, 105L fuel in 2 tanks, usual chilly bin of ice, beer, hot water for the wimpish captain for his coffee.
  Speeds Apart from departing the OBC and getting out into the real Ogin, mostly 3,300RPM, giving 21 knots. Had to slow down a bit(!) as we threaded through the wall to wall boats in the Motuhi channel where we sat for an hour or so flinging bait into the wild blue yonder for miserable returns (lots boated, but all consigned back to the deep). 
  After lotsa discussion, off to Rakino, and fish just off the Awash rock on the south side. Up the pick after 1/2 an hour, fish off another sunken rock or 2 on the western side, move to the North side and waste more bait and  another hour, then back to exactly where we started in the Motuhi Channel, and started catching some reasonable fish (well, keepers anyway). Then back to the OBC in the late afternoon.
  Total fuel used.. 40L, at 3,300rpm the fuel sensor said we were using 21L per hour
  As I'm new to this boat, and the fuel sensor is definately new to me, I look forward to using it on the less busy Manukau, where I should be able to take better notes of the the figures. (I wont go into the fish sizes on this forum !).  There was a difference -slight - when returning home due to the chop on the harbour - I actually believe the economy increased.
  I'll try and confirm this later..
More notes...  If there are others trying to set up the EP60 fuel sensor unit with the Lowrance LMS 334 or 339 that have probs, let me know - I've finally cracked how to set up the custom guages etc - theres nothing in the manuals....
Cheers, get some lines in the water...
I got a boat for the wife.
Now THAT was a deal !!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote El_Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 9:25pm
El_Robbo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Date: Late Jan
Boat: (Too Easy 2) Buccaneer Billfisher 635
Size: 6.35
Weight: About 2000 KG
Engine: Yamaha F225 (2001)
Prop diameter and pitch: 21m
Weather conditions and general usage: Smooth to Slight
Hours on water: 10 approx 160 km in a day in and back
Fuel used: 95ltrs
Trolling speed: 6.5 knots 1700rpm trolling speed
Other notes: Out from Opito Bay 7am fished thru back of Nine Pin trench and thereabouts.  Trolled all day but spent an hour diddling with a school of mahis under a buoy.

Avg overall 9.5L per hour including run out to near 200m mark.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote El_Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 9:29pm
El_Robbo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Date: Late Jan
Boat: (Too Easy 2) Buccaneer Billfisher 635
Size: 6.35
Weight: About 2000 KG
Engine: Yamaha F225 (2001)
Prop diameter and pitch: 21m
Weather conditions and general usage: Slight to Moderate (15kn)
Hours on water: 10 approx 160 km in a day in and back
Fuel used: 130ltrs
Trolling speed: 5.5 - 6.5 knots 1700rpm trolling speed
Other notes: Out from Opito Bay across to Russell to pick up Josh then on out to the trench.  Trolled back into the 100m where we dropped a small stripe.

Avg overall 13L per hour including run out to near 100m mark.  Dramatic impact of adding 1 extra to the boat (it was Josh so not even a heavy one).  But most importantly punching into seas and a high revs tabs down run in and back.  And a short dash KK inlet to Russel (est 15L return).

Some lessons learnt 20-30% more fuel in heavier conditions for almost the same time and run.
Page  <1234 26>