Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 381382383384385 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:02pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

24 Mar

awesome morning with GR8MAN at Church's Bay
Didn't expect much with the small tide and little wind.
Started with softies, switched to microjigs when sun came up.
Heaps of pannies, plus 4 trevs and a john dory 

Lots of kahawai smashing anchovies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:02pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thursday 1/4/21  7 to 10am
Tried a drift in the city channel from Devonport wharf to near the Cloud.  Released a couple of tiddlers, so headed north of the Rangi lighthouse and stopped off the northern side of Rangi about half way to Gardiners gap.  Did a couple of long drifts with kaburas, soft baits and microjigs.  Kept 3 snapper 34 to 38cms, mainly caught on Zman 4" curlytails, coconut ice (pink/white).  Also one keeper on the kabura.  Tried a variety of microjigs from 20 to 60g, blue/silver with red or fluoro highlights, silver/fluoro white.  Not even a touch.  The birds were few and far between, so maybe no anchovies around.  The Northerly wind seemed to help the drift (see below).

Sunday 4/4/21  7 to 10am
This time went straight to the same spot north of Rangitoto island, but this time the WNW wind stuffed up the drift and the boat was going at right angles to the tide, even with 2 drogues out. Couple of tiddlers here.  Also went closer to Gardiners Gap, but again, same crabby drift and not many birds and only tiddlers. Concluded the wind direction was no good for that spot, so went back past #1 buoy and drifted SW towards 3 buoy.  The drift was quicker, and better aligned with the tide.  Immediately got a 38cm snapper on a dragged kabura, but then it went quiet again.  On the second drift, close to where the first keeper was caught, another keeper jumped on a coconut ice softie, same as described above.  More manful waving of microjigs again produced no touches at all, tried different jigs and a different technique - a slow mechanical jig, as well as the cast ahead and jerk it back stylz.  Few more terns around today, but only 5 to 10 in a group, and not worth chasing.  I saw no KY activity at the surface at all.
I'll save the microjigs for when the birds are working in earnest, and anchovies and KY are around.
Maybe I should have gone to Church Bay like Fshnut.  Or the Kaipara with bait, berley and salt water flies, like Redfinger.

Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 10:05pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I didn't manage to get out the whole weekend FQ, so your guess is as good as mineCry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 9:39pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sunday 11 Apr

Fished the afternoon tide with Towkay. The storm seems to have scattered the anchovies. Spent most of the afternoon searching before finding a few terns working a small pod of kahawai in the shallows 3-5m behind Park Point as the sun went down. Came back with 12 including a 58cm fatty. Gulp did most of the damage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Towkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:35pm
Towkay View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

https://i.postimg.cc/RV8ZVxbL/Whats-App-Image-2021-04-11-at-12-47-46-PM.jpg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 7:54am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Welcome Towkay! A great fish on your first post. May there be many more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 9:09am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice work fshnut and Towkay.  And Hi to Keith C, who started this topic over 13 years ago.

Sunday 11/4/21  3 to 6:30pm
Launched Jenkins Bay and fished quite close to the red/white marker, only a few hundred metres from the ramp.  Outgoing tide, about 1.8m deep, berleyed up and caught lots of small snapper to about 27cms, all returned.  At low tide, depth was only 1.3m, but stuck it out, waiting for the bite at dusk.  But lots more little snapper and a medium KY on the main lines were all that came aboard.  Kept 1 KY and a few other small KY caught on sabiki for bait.  Used mainly squid for bait, small jack macks were stripped off the hooks too easily, even with bait elastic.  Also tried KY as live baits, and strips of fresh KY and butterflied baby KY caught snapper, but only small ones. 2 straylines with either an eight or a quarter oz weight, one flasher set hoping for gurnard, and a live bait rig on heavier gear.  Busy as, but no cigar.

If anyone's wondering, the spot came from the Fishing Map Guide 2004.  I deliberately fished shallow to be on the drop-off from the reefs in the area.

The ramp is at the end of South Titirangi Rd and isn't too bad but I'm guessing would be a bit muddy an hour or so each side of low.

So no snapper to keep.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 1:24pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After a rude awaking by some Ahole with a motorbike at 3.00am decided ,buger it going for a fish.Woke up number1. out to kkb around towards scullys reef. little bay about 1km short in 4m incoming tide .fished with bait and zman chicken thing 10 snapper and a gurnard.zman out fished bait. all 33cm not big but got one at 51cm and a gurnard so happy campers home by 10.30am after a quick check with hfo. gurnard 33cm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BigEarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:08pm
BigEarn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Decided to fish ECBs over high tide today. Lots of Anchovies and Kahawai around all along the coast. Not much action from Snapper, despite good sign on the bottom, but had lots of fun with Kahawai on light micro jigs. Decided to get the bigger guns out at some stage and was rewarded with a new PB, 98cm, 29lbs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:22pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Earn a great local king
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 7:05am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Fat King Bigearn! Go the Mac Boat!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:03am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice king BigEarn!

Sunday 25/4/21  6:15 to 9:15am

Launched St Heliers and headed to an incoming tide spot near Karaka Bay.  Got there and the tide was strangely still, but set up anyway, 2 berleys, smelly bait, and as soon as the first jack mack came over the side, it was hooked thru the nose and sent out on a heavier set.  Lots of small snapper and small KY on the sabikis and a few more jack macks used as bait and to relieve the livie.  First keeper was a 42cm gurnard in very good knick, caught on a lump of KY kept from my recent Manukau harbour trip.  Some time later a 31cm snapper swallowed the hook so rather than release it with a hook in its throat, kept it.  And the last keeper was another snapper, only 33cms.  By this time the outgoing tide was pumping.

So what went wrong?  Another one of my D'oh moments.  I use Ocean Fun tide maps and they very conveniently remember the last spot you looked at.  For me, that is mainly Auckland BUT I HAD RECENTLY LOOKED AT ONEHUNGA.  So I planned my Waitemata trip using Manukau tides.  If I had fished at the same time in the Wairopa channel, I might have caught some decent snapper like Transformations on Friday - see the Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing topic.

And the livies had a safe time, no kingies or other big critters to bother them.

Still, we had a nice feed of gurnard and snapper last night, no regerts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:26am
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That must have been a bit of a WTH moment FQ. Stick to the west coast, it's easier for us simple folk😁. Good you got a feed and for the rest, it goes in the experience bin.

As you saw in my report, Manukau in the shallows is definitely a good call at the mo.

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 2:47pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

2/5/21  6:30 to 10:45am

Launched Okahu Bay and gave the city channel another go, mainly because the SW wind forecast and incoming tide favoured the southern side of the city channel.  Wasn't much wind to start with, and not many bites either.  2nd drift much better, a medium KY and then a 42cm snapper took soft baits.  Another drift, another 2 snapper keepers, but 34 and 35cms.  The size gradually dropped, and returned a few snapper from 30 to 32cms, and a lot of undersize.

Gave up on the city channel about 9:30 and went close to 9 buoy in the Rangi channel.  Crabby drift with light SW wind, 1 tiddler released.

Tried near 10 buoy for the last 15 minutes but the crabby drift was worse: 0.3 knots almost due East.  Few tiddler bites, no hookups, so went home.

Today was a test for some of The Tamure Kid's tips and tricks.  I brought in some 5" Zman curlytails - Midnight Oil, Coconut Ice and Electric Chicken from Aus and did my version of a Carolina rig, as follows:
- rainbow braid to about 60cms of 20lb fluorocarbon (just hacked off the wormhook that was there before)
- 1/2 or 2 oz sinker followed by a 10mm white fluoro bead and a swivel
- about 70cms 20lb fluorocarbon, fluoro pink or yellow/green bead, size 4 VMC wide gap wormhook which has a copper keeper thru the eye to stop the soft bait being pulled down the hook.
- mainly used midnight oil and coconut ice SPs

The 2oz sinker sets were put down almost straight under the boat, one set each side
The 1/2 oz set was let out about 40m behind the boat.
I checked, and with the hook and keeper, the SP's were still very buoyant, so probably travelling well above the bottom, maybe 20 to 50cms, depending on drift speed, which varied from 0.3 to 1.5 knots.  All SPs given a squirt of Secret Sauce, either mullet or drag juice.

Also tried out a Zman Sexy Penny Paddlerz, 5", on a Carolina rig.  This caught the KY.  It's a new penny, but with a chartreuse belly.

For catching snapper keepers today I rate the 5" coconut ice first (caught the 42cm snapper and another keeper), then the midnight oil second, but ratings are premature until I've done more testing.  The electric chicken didn't get a run until the main bite was over, so no comment on that.

The Carolina rig may have helped today.  I've fished the same area for tiddlers, so maybe getting the lure off the bottom helps, but too early to tell.  It does have a downside compared to a direct connection of a jighead or wormhook to the leader.  You have to lift the rod quickly about 70cms just to get a straight line connection to the hook.  Probably missed 3 or 4 keepers because I didn't adjust quickly enough.  But at least they were biting - can't grumble about that.

I've just ordered some TT Big Eyez jigheads for fishing shads and will give those a go.

Thanks for your input Lester.  Makes fishing more interesting trying new stuff.  Might try an elevator jighead some time.  Would let the SP sit up off the bottom a bit more and without the indirect contact problem of the Carolina rig.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 8:08pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sun 020521

Fished the afternoon tide with Towkay and didn't do much better. Musick Point boating forecast had a 9/10 rating but it certainly didn't feel like it. Stiff southerly made it cold and bumpy work all afternoon. Fished the usual Park Point, Church's Bay, Sargeants Channel and struggled for 6 btw us, best 44cm, mostly on Z Man. Definitely less goldfish around now, feels like time to break out the smelly stuff. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:58pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

2/5/21  6:30 to 10:45am

Today was a test for some of The Tamure Kid's tips and tricks.  I brought in some 5" Zman curlytails - Midnight Oil, Coconut Ice and Electric Chicken from Aus...

I've just ordered some TT Big Eyez jigheads for fishing shads and will give those a go...

Thanks for your input Lester.  Makes fishing more interesting trying new stuff.  

All good, Geoff. I certainly don't have all the answers, but the combo of those Big Eyez and Midnight Oil curly tailz has worked quite a few times now.
Softbaiting has been an evolution for me, and your detailed posts were very helpful when I was starting out. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:13pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish BigEarn ... that’s a beauty!

Originally posted by BigEarn BigEarn wrote:

Decided to fish ECBs over high tide today. Lots of Anchovies and Kahawai around all along the coast. Not much action from Snapper, despite good sign on the bottom, but had lots of fun with Kahawai on light micro jigs. Decided to get the bigger guns out at some stage and was rewarded with a new PB, 98cm, 29lbs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 6:48pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

See the "Manukau Harbour & West Coast Fishing" topic for my latest report.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 12:38pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 22/5/21  9 to 11:45am

Took a visitor from Taupo for a gentlemen's hours session.  Launched at Kohimarama at low tide, with the car's wheels 150mm deep again to get the boat off the trailer.  Motored round the corner to the reef off Karaka Bay and berleyed up.  Sprayed straylines around the boat and used a variety of baits: mullet, squid, fresh Ky, butterflied Ky, frozen Ky chunks , KY livie, bonito, mushy jack macks (old bait) and mushy pillies.  Pretty quiet, with quite a few small snapper released, but a 32cm snapper took a chunk of bonito, and a bit later a 50cm snapper pounced on the KY livie.  Only other catch of note was a big eel, released.

Overall the fishing was pretty average, but we enjoyed the day, and our guests took away a decent feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 3:17pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice 1
Page  <1 381382383384385 393>