Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 380381382383384 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 11:46am
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Since New Year almost every working day i'hv  driven down to Birkenhead ramp & Island Bay wharf just to see if the locals catching anything.
In all this time i've seen only 3 undersize snapper from Birkenhead and not even one from Island Bay, as a matter of fact haven't seen anybody fishing from Island Bay for over week.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 2:15pm
Nathan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I enjoy fishing the shallows this time of year. Had first fish at Hobsonville a fortnight ago for 2 legal fish. No undersize fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 5:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Thursday 28/1/21  5:30 to 8:30am
Tested the theory that getting up stupidly early and fishing in the dark = hot bite.  Wrong.  Left Okahu Bay and stopped over the top on dense mid-water sign, maybe kahawai.  Dropped and jiggled soft baits on top of and under them, nada.  Moved over by the container wharf, baby bites, then chased off by the pilot boat, ship coming in.  Tried over by the naval docks, babies released.  Drift near Devonport wharf, 1 x 34cm snapper on a 4" Zman electric chicken curlytail.  Headed round north head, tried out near rough rock where there were massive schools of bait and terns working, nibbles.  Final few minutes near 12 buoy but the tidal flow had died so home James, 1 snapper.

I hate reading that FQ.

Should have a crack at a king?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 2:27pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Also noticed that ramp dangerously slippery at low tide. Nearly lost footing despite wearing shoes with good tread.

Anyone know who is responsible for maintaining that ramp.

If that was a work place OSH would close it down for safety reasons.

Hi there, Cirrus, FQ and co.

A colleague had the same experience on the Okahu public ramp yesterday at low tide - nearly fell over, and vehicle slipping.

So today he rang the Council call line (301 0101) and got put through to someone in safety who seemed genuinely concerned and said they would follow up with the relevant team to remedy it.

If you want to add your experience to the above, the reference number is 8110374773.

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 2:52pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went up to kauri point 2 hours of out going and 2 in tide.lot of gold fish but home with a feed, they are putting on weight. nice fillets. waitamata is slowly picking up.Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:38pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 7/2/21  6:30 to 9am

Drifted from naval dock towards Devonport wharf for babies.  Moved to near the container terminal and caught 4 small keepers 32 to 38cms.  As Lingee says, they're in good condition, nice fat fillets.  Successful lures were Zman 4" curlytail electric chicken, and 3" blue/grey shad.  Also an orange kabura got one right at the end by slowly winding in, not dragging like most of the morning.

Lester, it was low tide when I got back to Okahu Bay and it was slippery, but not dangerous like a few weeks ago, so someone probably cleaned it.

Dan, tried to catch a livie but got only baby snapper, so no kingfish rig today.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Riskybizo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 4:31pm
Riskybizo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I pulled my 19ft SeaNymph out at low tide with a falcon last week. Okahu is good at the moment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 10:05am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 13/2/21  10am to 1:15pm

Tried something different.  Launched St Heliers and went to Islington Bay looking for jack macks.  Nix, so plan B was drifting for snapper in the Motuihe channel area.  Tiddlers for the first hour or so, and a hapless 31cm snapper was the first into the bin about 11:30.  It wasn't until north of the channel and drifting from about Otahuhu Pt to Home Bay that the fishing improved.  Came home with 5 snapper, 31 to 36cm, so all small, and a lot under 33cms released.  The Zman electric chicken 4" curlytail seems to work well in bright light, and was the best lure.  The Kaveman 60g orange/yellow kabura started getting much more attention after noon, and was working well when slowly wound up from the bottom.
Great weather, gentle breezes.  Back at the ramp at St Heliers a big bloke saw my boat was getting stuck in the mud, so waded out and wrestled it free.  He then insisted on winding it onto the trailer, saying how light it was.  Must have been doing my damsel in distress impression.
A boat boy to clean the fish, boat and gear would be nice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 2:59pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice 1 was it the red dress on that works.Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Westy87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 4:04pm
Westy87 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Out from West harbour this morning to beat the rush hour at the ramp. Straight out to my favorite marker for one snap at 400 and that was all she wrote not even the normal undersized bothering you normally get. Top of the tide and at last count 50 boats out there. Is everyone finding it much slower than normal in the inner harbor this year?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:50pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I agree.  I have fished the city channel for years and this is the slowest I can remember.  A drift from around Devonport wharf to just past the Naval dock or viceversa used to produce at least 2 nice snapper.  This season mainly nada.  That's why I'm going further afield.  Last 2 sessions near Motuihe channel have been a bit better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:58pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A charter skipper I know blames the SkyCity fire - the runoff into the harbour polluted it. I guess that could be a possibility. I’ve certainly noticed it slower in the inner harbour
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 8:42pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Westy87 Far Quirk Lowbox
interesting you say that
I have kayak fished meola the last 2 seasons, has been good with the odd nice one in there up to 60cm, this season has been poos, smaller snaps, inconsistent fishing when usually very reliable in the shallow flats.
The water has been cold compared to the last 2 seasons of 24deg, of late has been 21-22. Last week was ranged from 22.5 - 24, but usually consistently 24deg from early Jan till almost mid Mar

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 8:56am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 27/2/21  9am to noon

Launched St Heliers and fished Motuihe channel area.  Took my eldest son and hoped to have him hooked up all day, but not to be.  Similar conditions to 2 weeks ago with outgoing tide and a bit windy.  To start fished the area from Otahuhu Pt to Home Bay which was best 2 weeks ago.  Son caught a 38cm snapper quite early on a 4" Zman electric chicken curlytail, but after that, lots of crabby drifts with baby bites and baby snapper released.  Tried back at the southern end of Motuihe channel, but SE wind got up and drove us into the ferry lane.  Ended the session back near Otahuhu Pt and after maybe 10 minutes slow jigging with an orange/yellow kabura, got another snapper, this time 36cms.

A small feed for the family
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blackdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 9:15am
Blackdogg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I sure hope this isn’t the moment that brings it all to an end, but I’ve had a really good summer of fish. All within sight of Okahu Ramp. I’ve consistently found the fish hungry right on sunrise, which means an early start, then it’s pretty much all over by 9am. This one was last Sunday on an orange slider...again. Softbaits dragged are now out fishing the slider, this fish being the exception
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 1:39pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sat 27 Feb 2021

0700 to 1345

Fished Park Point, Tamaki Strait and Motuihe Channel

Softbaits did most of the damage in the morning. 

Then the wind got up. Was howling down the Tamaki Strait by noon, switched to feeding tungsten microjigs down the drift and the bigger fish came on. Birds were active with snaps below. 

d f
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 9:12am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

12/3/21 9 to 11:45am

Tried the Sargeants channel area but apart from babies there wasn't much going on.  Drifted thru the main channel between Motuihe and Crusoe Rock.  From past experience, this area has a lot of sponges and low foul, so can be expensive on dragged gear.  I lost a trusty kabura that had been dragged thru the city, Rangi and Motuihe channels all summer.  Had lost most of the paint on the bottom, and caught a few snapper in the past, so no great tragedy.

Zmen were being eaten by the tiddlers.  A 5" bruised banana shad cam back with about 2" of tail missing.  The tails on 4" curlytails were shredded, then removed by the marauders.  At some point a 32cm snapper was unlucky enough to go in the bin, and a number of just-legal snapper were released.  Also tried a bit further north of the channel and used a 20g pink/blue microjig and caught undersize and just-legal snapper with it.  Also caught a jack mack and put that down with a hook thru its nose, but was only for 20 minutes, and no takers.  Had to go to get back to St Heliers ramp before the tide went out too far.

This area seems fishy, but need to get there earlier or later to get some bigger fish.

Great weather, short but sweet escape from the home office.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 3:23pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi guys been down coro friday .saturday.east coast .friday bin full. saturday 2 hours and 8 more snaps and a 38 trev. feeding the locals at home and a few for me. will smoke the trev.average size around 35 cm.all females.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:07pm
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sat 13 March

Fished the morning tide. Was pretty spotty with strong easterly, so joined the other boats huddled around Church's Bay out of the wind where there was some bird activity and a pod of kahawai. 3 of us eventually scraped  19 snaps btw 35 and 45cmafter many short drifts. Microjigs and softies 50:50
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 10:33pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Friday 12th.  Long time since I have been out Auckland area.  Couldn't sleep, out in Rangi channel drifting by 6:15 in the dark.  Fish don't mind.  Mostly small though. Flattened down around turn of tide, tried Motuihe channel for variety.  Kept 3, more small and undersize went back, lost a couple of better ones (blunt jighead i think).

Nice that worked SPs did a lot better than dragged ones: yay! My natural skill.  Ahem.  Bruised banana seemed better than the new penny, with nada on other colours.  Lots of small stuff though.

Oh well, back up north hopefully.

Back by 10:30 since I had to go to work but to be honest I should have just stayed on the boat. Totally useless zombie mode with the early start, no sleep and fishing in the brain.

Page  <1 380381382383384 393>