Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 377378379380381 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 5:17pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice FQ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 5:37pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

MrW

A few seasons ago I used to swear by the yellow/orange kaburas and often had 2 of them going.  Last season not so good, so began experimenting with other colours and occasionally the pink/white is better, and this season the candy apple red/green has caught some gooduns.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aquacat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 7:35pm
aquacat View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice fishing Mr FQ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 11:16am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Geoff - fish well and truly in the harbour then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 1:54pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

MrW

A few seasons ago I used to swear by the yellow/orange kaburas and often had 2 of them going.  Last season not so good, so began experimenting with other colours and occasionally the pink/white is better, and this season the candy apple red/green has caught some gooduns.

Cheers fella, im going to give the rasta man skirt with the candy apple, on another rod and see how things pan out Thumbs Up
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 3:41pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big trip today in the 12,launch kkb at 5.30 fished wilson bay farms,only place with no swell or wind,bit of a ride going across. Lots and lots of 28cm snapper and king that stayed under the burley pot.Tried to entice with a livey yellow tail,a green/orange softie but no.Wind and swell dropped about 11.00 so headed back.Flat calm in the middle.Managed 3x32cm snapper and a 5ft Hammerhead. Luckily busted off at the boat.Wind picked up and swell against tide so a very slow trip back to KKB.1.15.

Beats working.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 2:16pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nothing to report. Went out from KKB at 8.00am Northly starting to build(listen to metservice you would of stayed home)incomg tide n 8knt odd gust to 12. towed 3 different lures around at different depths, along the outside of ponui island 10/15 metresfrom shoreline to scullys reef. then shot to outside rotoroa/pakatoa around and around in and out of the Man O War bay mussel farm(lots of mussels on the farm)along waiheke shoreline to Oripu.Out to Sunday rock.Back to kkb home by 1.30pm.

Lots of sign on sounder on bottom but no top action. Has given me a few Ideas where to go for snapper fish next week as long as the tropical cyclone doesn't hit.
Harrison wanted to try lures so I obliged. Phone rang while out, where are you,fishing,I take it you're not coming to work today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 8:10am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Took the good ship Far Quirk down to Coromandel in the weekend.  Launched Kuaotunu on Saturday morning and fished the reef off the end of Blackjackwith bait and berley.  Solid schools of fish below us, but mainly maomao.  Only nibbles on the bigger baits.  A jack mack caught on a sabiki rig survived 2 solid runs and let-goes and was dead after its second escape but put down for more treatment.  It was monstered by something big and after a long tustle, broke the 60 lb trace at the dropper knot.  Decided the snapper weren't there so caught 4 nice fat maomao for dinner (delicious was they).  Still had some bigger baits out, and a big slab or maomao was monstered again.  After freeing the line from the berley bag gradually got control and a 1.8m grey/white shark popped up.  Wrestled the recurve hook out of its mouth with pliers but the hook was buggered.  Moved on to try to find some snapper but no luck.
Nice day, but problems with getting the Merc 20HP 4S motor into gear meant we slept in on Sunday.  Chris from Fish City Albany did a great job on the repair, so back and ready to go for a City Channel session tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 8:22am
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Best of luck and hopefully you find some fish!!
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 8:49am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 12/12/20  6:30 to 8:15am
Launched Okahu Bay and went straight to the Cloud to get out of the moderate SW breeze.  First lure down was a yellow/orange kabura which got hit as it reached the bottom.  Couple of winds, fish on, but only a 32cm snapper, returned to Tangaroa.  Set up a pink/white kabura and the old trusty 4" Zman new penny curlytail.  Got a succession of small snapper 18, 30, 26 and 19cm.  Decided to listen to Bruce Duncan's last report, and try to get a livie down.  Had no sabikis or bait, but had a sprat rig with small hooks.  Also had a bucket of old Gulp, some more than 5 years old.  Cut the tails off a couple of 5" shads and sent the rig down.  First customer:

Next, eureka:

Repositioned next to the cloud and quickly tied a dropper rig with 60lb black magic supple trace and a 6/0 recurve hook.  Hook thru the nose of the jack mack and down it went.  Maybe 10 minutes later, fish on the livie, and a great fight, 15lb braid was almost down to the backing when the fish ran out of puff.  Jammed the rod in the rod holder and cleared other rods and the drogue.  Gradually gained line and saw the unmistakable yellow tail of a kingie - you beauty!  As it got close to the boat it seemed to want to hide underneath the hull and was getting too close to the motor.  Jammed the rod in the front rod holder and lifted the motor.  When the fish was almost spent, grabbed its tail but it was too strong,  Success on the second grab and lifted it on board.  Joy and relief, a plan had come together and lady luck had played her part.

Later measured at 91cms and a bit over 8 Kgs, my PB for this area.
By the time I had landed it and tidied up a bit the boat had drifted past the container wharf.

That was enough protein for the day, and the wind was rising, so pulled the pin early.  Besides, I was knackered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 9:19am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Nice work on the kingi Geoff and thanks for the report!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 4:30pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one FQ: I should put livies down more often.

Short trip Thursday 17th.  Windy: would have gone back to sleep but taking a mate and no other possible date.  Rather than cancel, short trip from Takapuna in Rangi channel, Rangi side.  Choppy with 10-12 knot SW and strong incoming tide, but got a good drift going.  Fishing by 6:30 and by 7:45 had 4 in the 40-45 range, a couple at 33 and one smaller.  Tide died and the wind took over: bite stopped.  back at the ramp by 9am. All dragged, motor oil and golden boy curly tails doing the damage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 4:15am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 3:06pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice work Brmbrm, on a day I wouldn't have gone out.

For those like me that don't know what a golden boy looks like:
Prices are Australian.  You will lucky to buy under $13 per packet in NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 5:52pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Far Quirk, have been checking out Ebay prices and no difference than buying in NZ,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 9:05pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Far Quirk, have been checking out Ebay prices and no difference than buying in NZ,

Ebay is seldom the best site to buy online if you are going to ship here direct. And buying in bulk is the key. If you buy one or two packets it's never going to save you money.

If you have a NZ Post YouShop account in the US, and buy say 10 packets, it's well worth buying Z Man from a US online shop. They are way cheaper in over there. About US$4 a packet for the grubs pictured, usually with free shipping within the US (to YouShop warehouse).

But here's an example of an Australian site I highly recommend where Z Man grubz (they don't currently have Golden Boy, but heaps of other good colours) for A$8.26 a packet. They take 10% Australian GST off at checkout, which takes care of the exchange rate difference, and the cost of fast shipping to NZ (air) is A$20. So compared to $14 a packet RRP here for Z Man, you can see it doesn't take many packets to make it worth your while to do that - maybe share the order with a mate, or buy a couple of season's worth. If you buy one of the big Mag Swimz or Heroz, you only have to buy a couple of packets for your savings to take care of the shipping.

But a key appeal for me is getting Z Man patterns and colours Ocean Angler doesn't import to NZ.

If you do buy from Oz, I highly recommend the Midnight Oil colour in that pattern - a Motor Oil with gold fleck that's deadly. They also sell the 5" version of the grubz, which you can't get here.

I support my independently owned local tackle shop by buying lots of other gear - have spent hundreds on tackle there in the past couple of months - but have no qualms about bringing in my softbaits cheaply.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 12:40pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good info there Lester.  Next time I stock up on Zmen, I'll get them from Aus.  I feel a little bit sorry for retailers, because one packet of Zman curlytails could easily catch over 100 snapper.  I had one on today and it caught 11 snapper, some undersize, and it was the same lure I used last week and the week before.

Saturday 19/12/20  6:30 to 10:15am
City channel again, same methods, Zmen out the back, Kaburas straight down both in the rodholder.  Tried to catch a jack mack, but only snapper, so no live bait fishing for kingies this week.  Caught snapper fairly steadily, but at times there were too many little ones and I almost gave up.  But at 10am, got a triple hookup, all legal, and kept the biggest.

Minor stuffup this morning.  Drifted too close to Devonport wharf and got tangled with a surfcaster's line.  Much shouting and waving of arms and it took a while to sort out.  I motored back up to the wharf, apologised to the guy and gave him 2 snapper, one of them 45cms.  Peace restored, Merry Xmas.

Sizes of the snapper today, in the order they were caught were  37, 30, 32, 45, 32, 32, 29, 27, 25, 23, 31, 34, 27, 16, 23, 26, 30, 26, 20, 36, 32, 32, 36, 25cms.  13 were legal and 11 undersize.  Kept 4 for da fambly, gave 2 away.  Zman curlytails caught 13, kaburas 6 and the sprat rig with bits of gulp tails caught 3.  No other species caught.

Fishing is a little early this year, but still lots of babies around.  They usually disappear in January (or are less of a nuisance).

Good to get out of there before the Americas Cup got under way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 5:11pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice one FQ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 6:00pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Here's a summary of my springtime fishing, including the 24lb snapper reported a couple of pages ago

Hope you enjoy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 8:46pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another beaut video, mate. Great to see the little FC is treating you well - a new era after so many vids in your old tinny, but your great catches carry on...classic footage of you pulling the cord to chase the donkey, with the rod in the other hand.

And the vids are a nice recorded history of your daughter growing up too, which is cool. Have to laugh at her huge yawn when you're playing one of your early fish - early start to the day, I'm guessing.

Love the backing track on this one. That epic guitar intro always makes me think of the boys on that LA rooftop causing a traffic jam. I reckon the first three songs of Joshua Tree are the strongest start to any album in music history.
Page  <1 377378379380381 393>