Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 374375376377378 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:47pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha, I had a couple of those too - they came with the little FX4000 reels that are actually pretty good for a $35 reel. A guy at H&F said they were pretty good inside, better than most $130 reels. One of mine has given up the ghost, but the other is perfect for the little fella and has handled some nice kahawai and snaps to 7lb. i just replaced the line they came with, with decent mono.

I reckon this Ugly Stik is ideal for small boat straylining. Ideal in the rod holder. They do a 7ft one as well.  I'm not keen to leave a graphite rod in that situation. Sure, the Ugly Stik feels a bit heavy after using soft bait rods a lot, but they are bullet proof and have good componentry - unlike the cheap Shimano Eclipses.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 11:55pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geoff , definitely agree with running drag set in the rod holder for circle hooks .
My favorite set for snapper fishing ledger and straylines are my TLD15 on a Shimmano aquatip 4-6kg .
The Aquatip has a very soft tip that I find definitely helps setting a circle hook .
I set the drag at strike to 2kg and when in the rod holder I back it off just a little to perhaps 1.5 kg with the clicker on .
As you well know I have caught snapper to 19lb on this set Wink 
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 3:54pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went around towards Orere Pt today but no luck so out to the 16m mark off the entrance to KawaKawa Bay and played with some Soft Baits for a change, Managed to get 3 snapper around the 35/36cm mark,been feeding on little spiral cone things.Gut was full of them. Se wind around 7knt and incoming tide,9.30 high,should of stayed for a bit of out going but other things to do. SB seems an expensive way to fish,lost or torn baits.Went through about 6 but determined to keep trying.3/4 oz head but had to add a bit of weight due to tide so will get a selection of heads.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 4:22pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a couple New Penny ZMan that have caught so many snapper.

You using Gulp? Sometimes they are needed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 5:11pm
Titanium
Titanium

PJC, great that you got a feed.

If you're dragging, the Z Man 4" grubs are usually very good in the Tamaki Strait area - they are buoyant, so help to keep the hook off the bottom, while the lead head bumps along. And very durable in comparison to Gulp.
0.5oz is usually enough in the strait to keep bumping bottom.

As Muppet says, New Penny imitate the natural food items well; and also Bruised Banana, Motor Oil, and Atomic Sunrise - all good colours. 

Gulp are good in the area cast ahead and retrieved, the Crazy Legs Jerk Shad has lots of movement and I find them quite durable compared to the Gulp grub. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 5:20pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Got a couple New Penny ZMan that have caught so many snapper.

You using Gulp? Sometimes they are needed.
Yes Gulp green/orange Trial and error. Wont give up though. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 6:27pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use them if I have too.

No doubt eventually you will have a good day but I would prospect around casting far ahead and watching the line.

Last week the snapper were tearing back at the kayak against the tide taking the bait on the drop.
Had to wind into them rather than striking, one was right under the yak when I set the hook.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 6:29pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Plenty of panny snapper on wormbeds this morning - all males. Loved the berley and straylined salty dog smaller pillies. Fantastic morning - i have a rule on my boat - if its over 32cm it stays on boat - no unneccessary releasing, minimise handling,  look after the fish - so only took an hour to get a good feed. Bonus 40cm Trevally on salt water fly back in close - good fight on fly rod as well as a few small snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sea reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 8:14am
sea reason View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kept 5 between 40-60cm off end of Whangapararoa on the incoming yesterday morning,all female and full of roe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 8:41am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by sea reason sea reason wrote:

Kept 5 between 40-60cm off end of Whangapararoa on the incoming yesterday morning,all female and full of roe.

Nice one. I've been waiting for your annual Aug/Sept pic of a huge Tiri channel snapper...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sea reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 10:20am
sea reason View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nearly there I think,seems a bit later than the last few years.Good to get some wind from the north for a change.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 9:56pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK my mojo is well and truly ****ed.  Trip to a spot/drift line that has produced this time of year off W/N Waiheke, pausing for some wash efforts, lures only, for nearly bugger all.  Back to Rangi channel for an hour for 3 or 4 barely legal or less.  All went back, one down the throat of a shag.  

OK, moon blah blah, neap tide blah blah, breeze against tide blah blah but not even a feed.  Bollocks.  I must have done something really bad in an earlier life.  Bugger fishing.  Waste of time and money.  **** crap ****.

But forecast looks pretty damn good for Monday so might try again, somewhere else.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyDogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 9:41pm
SaltyDogs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Similar story bro, similar spots...🤦‍♂️
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 3:09pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Talking a comms guy Yesterday(visiting next door) and he gave me some co ordinates,he nets flounder and does a bit of longlining.He gave us a doz flounder heads to use as bait and yes they work.Went out to his coordinates to find that is number 2 on my mark spots,he said fish low to full then home,well we fished 1/2 incoming and 1hr outgoing,out going nil but incoming ,wife caught 6 40/52 snapper on the heads while I used up the last of my gulp and did ok,got 4 at 36/38 so off to get some zman  Monday.
Between ponui and orere pt 16 m mark,some had milt some have the start of roe.
Neighbours happy!

Glad we went earliesh as Kawakawa bay carpark was almost back dairy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 3:42pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

brmbrm and Salty Dogs

I'm having a similar run, drove out to Huia yesterday and tried 6 spots in the Manukau but apart from sharks and KY, a very slow morning.  I've been fishing with dirty old bait and as soon as the freezer has run out of bait and berley, back to soft baits and jigs.

Never mind, forecasts for Monday and Tuesday look pretty good.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 2:12pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Keep trying FQ and SD.  Tuesday morning trip to Rangi channel (Rangi side).  Mojo returned.  Kept 6 in the 42-50 range, put a few others back plus some little stuff.  Dragged Golden Boy curly tail definitely the favourite today.  Worked lures for nada, dragged on 1/4 oz jig head did the trick.  Dragged stuff on 1 oz sinker caught only a few. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 4:35pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

left army bay 8.30 and went to the edge of tiri channel .had around 3 hours of in cumming tide,first drop a 38 cm.snap.then a little slow, then off we went , good fish ,average 34cm with the last drop a 48cm. home with 9. all nice and fat.great day .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 2:55pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out just on day break to where we were a couple weeks ago.gentle se incoming tide,high 9.30ish fished 1/2 tide in to 2 hrs out going.Interesting day.1st a 4 ft hammerhead,meanwhile Mrs c catching snapper 35cm,tried the zman nuclear chicken and motor oil.Nothing biting.Think head might be a bit lite due to 3.2m tide. So back to smelly mullet,caught a handful of yellowtail which became baits,couldnt miss 48cmsnap ate the headManage to catch a school shark so water warming up??What we thought was a log suddenly rolled over and turned out to be small seal.On his/her arrival the KY turned up so cast in to the school.short lived.
Came home with 13 snapper. Ranging from 33 to 52cm Home and dusted by 1.00pm.
Have a colour Garmin 550 so starting to figure out how to use,interesting to be able see bottom structure and fish sign seem true,no symbol no bite,Guess its just another tool.must read the manual one day.

Next time thinking might try mania mussel farms, 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 7:43pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don’t get out much these days but still follow this thread with interest. Long tow from the Naki to BOI, but great to do some light tackle fishing in calm water.

Had 2 good short sessions on light tackle at 40m in the Middle Ground in BOI yesterday and today. Yesterday I got 3 between 40 & 65 in 2 hours. Today we got 3 between 65 & 75 in 3 hours fishing. Yesterday’s bait was New Penny, today was fresh kahawai.

Size 9 jandal
Brother with his 2 PBs, one after another.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 5:02am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top Effort Keith! Glad the sea came right to enjoy some Snapper fishing with your BrotherThumbs UpCongrats on his PB'sBeer
Page  <1 374375376377378 393>