Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 372373374375376 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 3:03pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good fish in the shallows Geoff.

Did you have a trip on your anchor?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 3:33pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

My fish was nothing compared to Snappa Geoff down your way!

As for the anchor, er no, Keith.  
I've never used a trip on my anchor and have only lost 2 anchors in over 15 years.  Many anchors have a connection or are designed to trip, but I've never looked into it.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 4:34pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Trip is worth the effort Geoff. Also, as a safety precaution. Simple. Use anything less than the breaking strain of your main anchor rode. On a bad day, you may have to re-do the trip, but save the anchor.

P.S. you can probably do 10 trips there for each one we get in here. And Snappa Geoff is willing to get wet. Very wet at times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:15pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great snapper there FQ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:56pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great snapper for the inner Waitemata, Geoff. Glad you got a nice string puller for your efforts. Love that buzz when the reel in the holder goes off with a big one! Clap

Sorry you lost some gear, though.
Sounds like you attach your berley to the anchor rope? 
If you do, that's interesting. I was once told not to do that because supposedly you can cast out behind the boat thinking your bait is in the berley trail when the current is actually going across the way the boat is sitting - therefore the berley is flowing in a different direction.
Anyway, your way obviously worked a treat today!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 1:53pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday28/6/20  7:15 to 9:45am

Back to Takapuna, this time in 4m of water for the incoming.  Lots of berley, and mullet and squid bait, but it was a slow start.  Caught a small KY in the berley trail and cut it up  into quite large pieces.  Nek minute, reel screams, and fish heads for the rocks and weed.  A bit of coaxing required to get it out of there, and a sigh of relief.  Turned out to be a Takapuna PB at 68cms.

It had swallowed the hook but wasn't bleeding from the gills, so cut the hook off and released it.   Took a while to perk up, but swam away.  If you catch one of similar size in the area it has 2 distinguishing features.  The front of the right eye is covered by what looks like seaweed pigments, a green-brown film.  And at the moment it has a Gammie 10/0 circle hook in it.  Hope it survives, and you can never be sure when they have a hook in them, but it sure as hell woundna survived if I killed it then and there.

Kept 3 between 34 to 46cms.

Had a tussle with an old craypot that looked like it had been there for years.  Was going to bring it home and dispose of it, but it dropped off the anchor just as I reached for it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:10pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top Skills landing a great looking Snap from the rocky shallows FQ! Good onya releasing.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Geoff mean snapper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:30pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fish geoff. Reward for braving a damp winter morning & getting out there.. 
Good on you for letting it go. It may survive and you gave it that chance. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:00pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done FarQutop effortClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 10:04pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish - well done

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 10:10am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Your on fire Geoff - particularly high bonus points given location fished.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:04pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 11/7/20  7:45 to 10:45am

Got up early, but faffed around and by the time I got to the spot the best fishing was probably over.  I went to Bruce Duncan's #5 spot in Islington Bay. The boat and tide didn't line up and the tide flow was pretty slow, but plenty of berley got a lot of fish around the boat, and spraying the baits out in a wide arc soon had snapper coming aboard.  Shame about the size.  Kept a 33cm snap and released 30 and 31cm snaps, and a few more undersize.  Decided to stick with the area because other mates fished there recently and did OK.  Moved twice and kept the berley flowing, but no biggies at all.

Followed most of Bruce D's advice - motored slowly up current to the spot until I found a few decent sized marks on the finder, deployed the berley a bit higher because it was early in the incoming flow, and dropped it down to a meter off the bottom as the tide kicked in.  Used lightly weighted strayline baits with about a 16th to an eight of an ounce sinkers.  I had a small surface berley and put a sabiki string with a float to keep it away from the baby snapper.  To the sabiki hooks I added small pieces of squid.  Didn't catch any fresh bait at all.

This spot would fish better with wind and tide lined up, and a bigger tidal flow would help too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 3:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Unlucky FQ one of those days.
You not had a go at the grunters on our side yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 3:38pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Dan

I had a flasher rig out while fishing for snapper yesterday.  The same rig that scored a 44cm gurnard the week before in the Snapakura channel.  I tried half anchovies, squid and small pieces of bullet tuna, but mainly undersized snapper.

I would appreciate any advice on catching grunters along the Bays.  You might have written about it somewhere, but I searched this site and couldn't find it.You mentioned you tie your own gurnard rigs and I'm not ashamed to copy (nudge nudge).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 3:42pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

PM on way FQ will sort you out mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 8:04pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK so what do you all reckon re an SP trip in the next couple of days?  The bite too slow or non-existent?  Do I really need to get smelly stuff on the boat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:30am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 18/7/20  1:30 to 5pm

I don't usually fish in the middle of the afternoon, but had something on in the morning, and Sunday didn't look as promising, so mid afternoon was the best choice.  There was also the chance of a half hour bite about 6:30 pm as the light faded but not for me.

Launched at Bucklands Beach and went to the western side of Brown's Island in the lee of the light easterly breeze.  Found a spot with lots of rocks and weed down-current, anchored in 4m and berleyed up.  Wasn't expecting much early on, but caught about 10 small KY on a sabiki to pass the time and cut them up for bait.  Small snapper, a few in the early 30's were returned, and was just about to shift spots at 3pm when a 46cm snapper jumped on a small mullet bait and went on ice.  Thought some bigger ones might be about so pumped the berley and stayed at the same spot until 5.  Only one 35cm keeper for the rest of the afternoon, and surprisingly, no real bite between 4 and 5pm when I expected it.

A couple of good keen men from Karaka bay had rowed 8 to 10 foot dinghys fairly close to me.  I watched one of them row back - a good half hour of stirling effort.  The wind dropped off and the last hour was very calm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 12:30pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice again Mr FQ - 46CM SNAPPER- FORGETTING WHAT THAT LOOKS LIKE !
Be a good eater.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 12:10pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well after cleaning the ecu thing in car its up and running.
left halfmoon bay 6.00am today out browns island by the yellow bouy and plenty of berly going down. lots of small sub 25cm gurnard and sub 30 snapper mainly 28cm so maybe spring might be ok ?? come home with a 35cm gurnard ,released a bl@#dy eel and every fish I released this shag would swoop in and take.Left after eating 2 gurnard and a yellow tail.

Page  <1 372373374375376 393>