Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 371372373374375 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 7:15pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well you can always wash the motor out with salt water the next day......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 7:46pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

brmbrm
what did it for you - baits or lures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:47am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All SPs.  Didn't even try microjigs.  Dragging curly-tails/grubs (new penny and motor oil normally) seems to work best, but the last trip it was jerk shads, a greeny speckly thing (can't remember name) but new penny seemed more effective.  And much more fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:07am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quick couple of hours Monday afternoon, Rangi and the channel.  Some fun with KY and snapper, nothing special to report.  Glad i got out - don't know when the next trip will be - weather and commitments.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 2:55pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what size fish mate, any goodies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 10:50am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Couple of delayed reports

Saturday 17th May 4 to 6:30 pm
Launched Bucklands Beach and went to the south side of Brown's Island, an area I used to fish 10 years or so ago.  Berleyed up and used squid and pilchards and also a fresh KY cut into long strips.  Caught lots of snapper in the 27 to 30cm range but only 1 that was 31cm went home.

Saturday 24/5/20  3:45 to 6pm
Launched Okahu bay and tried drifting from 16 buoy with the incoming tide.  Orange kabura in the rod holder, also a Zman curlytail new penny, and a Zman curlytail motor oil.  Cast a Gulp 5" pink shine shad around as well and babies occasionally took the tails off, but no good bites.  During the long drifts, caught 2 gurnard on the New Penny Zman.  Tried different depths from 6 to 24m but only baby snapper.  Went up near 11 buoy for a final drift as night fell.  Swapped out the motor oil for a fluoro orange sparkle Zman curlytail.  As is often the case nightfall seems poor for soft baits and sliders, and only the baby nibblers came to play.  So 2 gurnard, but in excellent condition, fat running off the knife as I filleted them.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:19am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice carrots Geoff Thumbs Up
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 9:25am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot out yesterday at midday to the southern end of Rakino. Tide was full so things were a tad slow until current started running.
Had some fun with a few nice sized kys that were sending baitfish in all directions in the air. Great to watch.
Landed 5 snapper that ranged between 30-35. All pathetically small. As usual dozens of tiny throwbacks.
Was  calm and sunny out there. Beautiful conditions.
Could of/ should of gone out way wider if I knew the conditions were gonna be so good.
Not alot of boats out compared to a couple of weeks ago. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rumblefish1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 9:33am
Rumblefish1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was out last saturday 24 may
Got 7 from 35 to 45 cm
Tried sliders and micro jigs no
Success used mullet got a feed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 2:24pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 6/6/20  8:15 to 11am

Launched Okahu Bay and went over to a spot given to me by Snap (Nik the charter operator).  It's off Takapuna and about 10m deep when I arrived and a big outgoing tide was kicking in, just right for this spot.  Used mussel/kina berley and soon the fish finder was solid with fish sign, and struggling to detect the bottom, the fish were so thick.  Used mullet and 10/0 circle hooks.  Threw a few back 30 to 32cms, then kept 44cms x 3, one 57cm, and an unlucky 32cm that was too fat to let go - all snapper.  Finished the day with a small shark.  Also used squid and pillies, but they were mainly picked off in no time, or caught smaller snapper.  Best day for yonks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 2:30pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice catch ,  nothing like making the most of a brief weather window on a blustery winters day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 3:54pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice mate ,going to coro thursday for 4 days hope it goes well, will up date.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 5:23pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome good stuff FQ I think you did the same last year I think the switch pays off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 6:36pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wednesday east of Waiheke and around  Rangi and the channel.  Late start. Fishing real slow today.  A feed and a bit, plus small stuff and lost a decent one.  Beautiful out there but very busy.  This is the "new normal" for mid-week fishing?  Used to be very quiet....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 7:38pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

any thoughts on why mid week would be so busy. normally quiet with little boat traffic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 7:49pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lots of work-at-homers, level 1 coming quick and unexpected, narrowish weather window?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 3:39pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 13/6/20  7:15 to 11am

Launched Kohimarama at the bottom of the tide - not easy.  Went to East Bastion reef and berleyed up.  Caught lots of small snapper, not keepers, so around 9:30 went to Karaka Bay reef, where the inward tidal flow was a bit faster.  Kept 3 small to medium snapper here but the bite died at 10am.  Went over by Bean Rock where the KY sometimes hang out, but not today.  More small snapper returned and a few sprats kept by George for the deep fryer.

Poor result compared to last weekend.  A number of things were different and not sure which were most important:
- the tide was average at about 2.9m, was about 3.4m last week
- used different berley to last week (mussel/kina last week), and the salmon berley from Smartmarine sat in the berley bag and didn't disperse much, not much oil
- tried out bullet tuna this week, but as soon as we changed to the mullet left over from last week, bigger fish took the bait
- first 2 spots only 4m deep this week, about 9m last week.

Any thoughts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 4:40pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Geoff,

Commiserations, sounds like a tough trip. I completely agree re some of the salmon berleys - they don't flow like the old oily and minced up ITM fishing Show ones. I've had some which have just sat like a thick jelly. Rip off. Russell reckons the Salty Dog salmon one is good, and I got good results from one at Top Catch (in a non see through wrapping that looks like a dog roll!). Pricey, though.

I reckon the first two or last two hours of the day is crucial in the shallow reef areas like the one I fish with bait - which is only 2-3m. Some people say the fish are there all day, but I've never had much luck after about 9am, and before about 4pm at this time of year. I think there's a shorter feeding window.

Definitely the bigger tides and current seems to be preferable. So you are probably on to something there.

In terms of bait, i reckon if bigger fish were around they'd take the bullet tuna. Mullet definitely hangs on the hook long enough for the pickers to get caught. But I always try to catch a jack mack or small kahawai out of the berley to chop up for fresh bait. That can make the difference, whereas I've churned through pillies with not much luck.

Have you tried over by Browns Island this autumn?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 3:20pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hit coro east coast ,friday blowing its guts out ,hit mid tide and came in with 5 medium size snaps ,out saturday flat as sea, slow on in comming then when tide went to out going hour and  half to 2 hours afther high tide it went off. we fulled the bin 35-40s.but the rain was full on but when its on u stay there and do it. what a great couple of days.bbq at nite and a few drinks. love it 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 2:19pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 20/6/20  7:15 to 9:30am

Launched Takapuna and fished in the Takapuna/cliffs area in 10m, outgoing tide just starting to flow.  Only tiddlers for the first hour, then the ratchet on the TLD15 in the rod holder screamed and after a good long run, fish on.  Early on I thought it might be a Takapuna PB, but it tired quickly and turned out to be 59cm snapper, 4cms short of my best from that area.  Not long after that the berley started to run low.  Caught a 36cm snapper, and all quiet.  I intended to pull the anchor up, refresh the berley, then reanchor in the same spot.  Anchor was stuck tight to the bottom, and tying it off and using the motor to try to free it didn't work.  After about 20 minutes messing around, cut it free, losing the anchor, chain and berley bag.  That's my next job, replacing that stuff.

Page  <1 371372373374375 393>