Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 369370371372373 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 6:25pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gulp not so good when lots of small fish. Prefer non scented baits with good action. My favourite are atomic brand.
Otherwise if bait fishing. Large baits like mackerel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 7:23pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Money spent to fish ratio is no issue for me.

I reckon by the time I take into account the cost of my boat, rods, reels, lures, fuel etc etc my price of snapper per kilo must be way higher than the most expensive A grade tuna at the tokyo fish market!! And will be for a few years to come LOL

But I fish because it's been my passion since I was a little kid, I just love it. I can't put a dollar value on that. As they used to say in those credit card ads - "the feeling of a big snapper pulling line like a freight train - priceless..."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 8:39pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Too right mate.

You should have seen my coarse fishing gear back home in the UK. All that money to fling maggots at fish that were a pain to get biting. And not one fillet on the plate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 10:34pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thing 1.  Having spent shed loads on bait and burley, the sp cost is pretty minimal.

Thing 2.  The cost of driving to the ramp and getting out is bigger than both of those.

Thing 3.  The cost of actually owning a $$$kkk boat, WOF, insurance depreciation etc must cost me $100+ per trip.

Thing 4.  And the big thing.  I do it because I love it and that's why I work, so I can spend my money on it.  The true total cost of a trip is about $150 I guess, so the cost of SPs Gulp or other, or B&B is not worth worrying about, and **** it, you worry if you want but I am  out fishing.  Soon as the weather and work add up to OK

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 10:36pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

But then why has the City channel been so crap this year?  I haven't fished this area much, but when I have, or fished my other more in-shore spots, they have not fired.  Back out to November areas?  Is this just a seasonal thing or are the numbers of fish just diving?  What does this mean for spawning and future years?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 10:59pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go shallow water mate on the mud flats, incoming half tide up to high tide
Half pillies 1/4oz sinker
I'm doing the inner waitemata harbour 1 to 3m water on my kayak, its going off, easy fishing up to 50cm and no one fishing it, water temp avg 24deg, no bites or fish on the outgoing where I fish and it's only 1km if that from the boat ramps
Low tide, no water at all
Cost about 5 bucks max in bait
Buying 2nds pillies 5kg at 25 or 10kg for 45 bucks, use about 12 pillies for 24 baits, what's not used is refrozen, after refrozen a few times then salted down... still produces snapper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote thebakerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 5:44am
thebakerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You're right The Tamure Kid, I do have a very negative attitude to Gulps. There was a time when I was totally committed to them and I caught heaps of good fish with them. Then suddenly they became soft and fell apart with just one bite. Previously they were so well made that they difficult to thread on a hook. I know that Gulp vociferously deny that they have changed the formula but the evidence from my experience is solidly against them. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote thebakerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 5:47am
Silver
Silver

Hi Muppet, with regard to scent, have you tried Secret Sauce. Works like magic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 12:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes all the time.

Sauce did not work as well as a live mac this morning though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 5:14pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha, some times it's hard to beat the real thing, mate! Nice kingie.

Do you do any micro-jigging these days? i know Greg at GoFish likes th Little Jacks in anchovy season, just wondering if you reckon they're worth having in your armoury for inshore snapper. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 6:32pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got so many lol and yes when the conditions are right those 20-30 gram ones are killer. Prefer 15m plus to fish them though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote thebakerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 6:11am
Silver
Silver

Yep, natural bait generally works better than anything else.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillieTheWaiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:15pm
WillieTheWaiter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Go shallow water mate on the mud flats, incoming half tide up to high tide
Half pillies 1/4oz sinker
I'm doing the inner waitemata harbour 1 to 3m water on my kayak, its going off, easy fishing up to 50cm and no one fishing it, water temp avg 24deg, no bites or fish on the outgoing where I fish and it's only 1km if that from the boat ramps
Low tide, no water at all
Cost about 5 bucks max in bait
Buying 2nds pillies 5kg at 25 or 10kg for 45 bucks, use about 12 pillies for 24 baits, what's not used is refrozen, after refrozen a few times then salted down... still produces snapper

I went out on a well known charter from Z pier the other day and asked this exact question as had been out a couple of times and it had been slow to say the least!

Answer was a bit disturbing.. Skipper reckoned (and shared view amongst the charter boat skips) was that late last year harbour was looking 'normal'.. birds, bait etc etc.. then when the fire at SkyCity happened and they dumped all that toxic water into the harbour there has been little sign of life since

Mentioned that most people think a harbour 'flushes' out - but reckoned water in the harbour only ends up at about A buoy before coming back in... 

Anyway not sure if any truth or just co-incidence - also mentioned that fishing had been very 'odd' / hit and miss since xmas.

anyhoo I popped out last night for an hour to check out city channel with my 10year old daughter - nothing but keyrings right in close to navy boats.. middle was better 3 keepers in 2 drifts.. zillion throw backs.. so defo life there hopefully just a late start to the season!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 12:20pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 29/2/20  7:30 to 11:15 am

Launched Bucklands Beach and headed to Motuihe channel.  Drifted from the green buoy in with the tide and diagonally SE with the W wind.  This took me into the deeper 25+ metre water that I generally find hopeless for soft baits etc.  Pulled the plug and went to the top (NE) ferry buoy and got a much better drift from there, but still only tiddlers.
Moved to north of the Sargeant's channel (almost level with Matiatia) and had another slow drift from there < 0.5 knots.  More tiddlers.  Then went closer to Sargeants to get into the deeper bit that goes past the light on the NE corner of Motuihe and got a better drift speed up to 1 knot.  Picked up a 33cm snap and a 34cm gurnard here and put back a slim 32cm snap.  Continued the drift thru the channel, but more tiddlers.  By about 10am the tide was starting to fade so went to the fringes of the 25m hole south of Sergeants which has been good in the past.  Drifted across the northern side of the hole 13m to 21m, almost due East.  More tiddlers.

Unsuccessful lures included Zman 4" curlytail new penny, motor oil, electric chicken and atomic sunrise.  Also Zman 5" shad atomic sunrise.  (All with Secret Sauce Drag Juice).  Gulp pumpkinseed 4" minnows destroyed in seconds by the tiddlers.  All other Gulp products chewed up but not so fast.  Gulp 4" lime tiger minnow, 5" blue neon pepper, squid vicious pink shine, 6" watermelon crazylegs.  Kaveman 60g slider and a no-name brand 40g slider, mostly in the rodholder, but slow jigged occasionally for zero hits. Retired the sliders about 9am because they couldn't even catch tiddlers.    

And that was it.  Think I'll take someone's advice and head to the shallow reefs around East Bastion etc and berley up at change of light.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 3:53pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by WillieTheWaiter WillieTheWaiter wrote:

Skipper reckoned (and shared view amongst the charter boat skips) was that late last year harbour was looking 'normal'.. birds, bait etc etc.. then when the fire at SkyCity happened and they dumped all that toxic water into the harbour there has been little sign of life since

Mentioned that most people think a harbour 'flushes' out - but reckoned water in the harbour only ends up at about A buoy before coming back in... ]
the fire thing was some time ago now, not doubting what was said as they would know being on the water regularly.
A buoy is quite a long way out plus the "flush" is able to mix up well with the new tides coming back in twice a day, daily.

Took a newbie out kayak fishing this morning half tide up till high tide, mud bottom 3 - 7m kept 6 snaps high 30s best 44, heaps of throw backs & legals back as well to 33cm, doubt I used 3/4kg pillies... I use half pillies tied on...good day out....
newbies best fish to date was 32cm, he ended up with 3, got a PB of 50 lost a much bigger one lifting in his yak.... no landing net... straight to tackle shop to buy a landing net haha

So yes, get in the shallows mate
I read somewhere on this forum, cant remember where, the mud flats is a migration thing, early summer till May, the fish go nuts fattening up on crabs worms & the like... perhaps the reason why its very patchy in the channels & deep water as the fish are going hard on the flats.
As the waters cool off at the end of the season, the fish vacate, the crabs worms & others have months to recover before its all on again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 9:42am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 7/3/20  7:15 to 11am

Note to Top Catch.  Your website says Glen Innes shop opens at 6am on Saturdays, and so does the notice board outside.  When I arrived at 6:30, it was closed.

Soft baits and kaburas have been slow for me, so went into the shallows with smelly bait.  Spot 1, East bastion reef, where I've caught snapper up to 65cms, but in the winter.  Berleyed up, put down various rigs include sliding, strayline, and dropper, and caught sprats with tiny pieces of squid.  One of those ended up as a live bait on a dropper.  As soon as I caught a jack mack, subbed out the baby KY and replaced it with a mack as the live bait. Used butterflied baby KY and big bloody strips of a bigger KY, but they all came back chewed by babies.  Squid and pillies were stripped off the hooks in short order.  Caught a lot of small snapper, from 10 to 25cms, but no big bites, and nothing even close to 30cms.

The 1.5 Kg gas station berley ran out in about an hour, so moved to another spot on East bastion reef which is one of Bruce Duncan's picks.  Deployed another berley and endured the same baby assault as before.

After an hour berley 2 ran out so moved over to Flax Point, another of Bruce Duncan's spots, hoping the faster current might inspire decent bites from bigger snapper.  Had no berley so did a bit of ground baiting.  Same old babyville.

At 10:30 abandoned the bait and did a final half hour of soft baiting drifting out from 10 buoy, depth 12 to 16m, drift speed 1.5 knots, pretty well lined up wind and tide, no excuses.  Dragged 3 different Zman 4" curlytails (new penny, motor oil and electric chicken) flicked around Gulps and actively worked them.  Not a single bite, even from babies.

Zilch, definitely lost my mojo.

Thank goodness I've got a big tub of fish oil tablets in the pantry.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 1:37pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kaipara Geoff - going off for snapper at moment -not big ones but plenty big enough for a feed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 2:15pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah Geoff go elsewhere
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 6:29pm
dock View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Love your report ,always.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 6:58pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thursday morning, late-ish start (for me), nice weather window.  Last of the flood close to Rangitoto and sort-of OK, but slow.  Slack water moved to west side of Rangi channel for a drift.  Wind very helpfully changed to with-tide. First of the ebb just goldfish, but the bite came on 10:30ish.  42-49cm fish.  Pretty much all on the dragged curly tails.  I'm not proud.  Dragging takes skill.  Someone has to sit on their arse drinking tea, eating sandwiches, winding the fish in while the dragged lures do what they are told.

Page  <1 369370371372373 393>