Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 363364365366367 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 4:53pm
Salty Bones View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bait working best out there right now...BM flasher rigs with squid were outfishing the sliders 5 to 1 the last 4 trips I've been out on different boats with different crew
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man ta fish and he'll sit on the rocks and drink all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 2:31pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 25/5/19  7 to 9:15am

Launched Kohimarama; fished Karaka Bay reef with smelly bait.  4m of water and home made berley.  Tried squid, salted bonito, mullet, fresh KY and fresh jack macks.  Mullet was best and caught the biggest 2 of the snapper that went from33, 35, 42, 46 to 51cms.  Released a few around 31 to 32cms.  Caught the biggest after 9am.

Muppet suggested I try smelly bait around a reef, and surprising how well it worked.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 3:10pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL Hows that FQ very nice, I should try listening to my own advice.

Here is another, you should gun for some gurnard soon. They come in along the bays all roed up from now. Cool 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 3:31pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

mullet is a good oily bait that works well when things are slow,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:28am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sunday.  Couldn't bring myself to turn to the smelly side but should have.  Slow on SPs and jigs. Takapuna ramp the normal madhouse.  Took home 3 small ones.  Nice day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 3:33pm
Silver
Silver

Bait in the shallows definitely worked best yesterday...tried everything and could only get consistent catches this way...they only sucking on the bait too, so pays to let them take really long runs before setting the hook.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man ta fish and he'll sit on the rocks and drink all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 4:44pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I find this time of year circle hooks are best,as they run lift rod and wind,no striking, and if the fish is little its a easy release. im fishing with them all year and getting good results.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:30pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Years ago I used to use a lot of circle hooks around reefs and found they snagged easily and I lost a lot of them.  Settled for Black Magic KL hooks which are recurved and usually give a corner-of-the-mouth hookup.  You might miss out on the odd tasty smaller fish, but 6/0 to 10/0 are best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 4:50am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yes I got the hook name wrong I meant recurved
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 7:39am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

yes I got the hook name wrong I meant recurved

I don’t know if they are different. Wasabi calls them recurve circle in the smaller sizes (non-gamefish). Irrespective, both attempt the same - jaw hooking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:01am
Silver
Silver

Wasabi circles are the same pattern as the Black Magic KL but they are made with different steel and have different chemical sharpening process...meaning the KLs are stronger and sharper...hope this helps.

I always us the KLs...they have such a good hook up rate when slow setting hooks (not striking hard). but im a fan of the new KLT as well when targeting extra large fish in more remote places...that extra gauge helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:03am
Silver
Silver

Anyone tried using gang hooks like the aussies do? LOL always wanted to try them straylining for snaps...might be illegal though I dunno
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 6:48pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Monday 3/6/19  7:45 to 11am

Bait & berley off Takapuna in 10m, a spot that Snap showed us all many years ago.  Used large baits including half heads of a decent sized KY caught early on. Best fish took a butterflied jack mack caught during a previous session.  Other good fish took mullet and big slabs of the same KY about 200mm long and 40mm wide.  Kept  35 and 42cm snaps for dinner, and released 35, 42 and 53cm models.  When the bite died about 9:30 decided to stick it out in case a second bite started up, but not to be.  Tried to catch live baits but Uncle's Mack flasher rigs only caught baby snapper.  The big KY heads were picked at but not engulfed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 8:49am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Salty, gang hooks are definitely not illegal - but I haven't seen them in the shops here (unlike Aussie where they are the go to for beach fishing).
I'm sure you could make up your own with pliers. years ago, Sam Mossman had a section of one of his books on NZ fishing discussing the gang hooks method.
I'm pretty sure you have to choose the hooks carefully so they lie together well. They tend to be quite long shank J hooks.
One of the reasons they are so popular in Australia is because tailor snip the tail off their prey, before coming back to grab the disabled baitfish - and the tail gang hook catches them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 8:52am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Monday 3/6/19  7:45 to 11am

Bait & berley off Takapuna in 10m, a spot that Snap showed us all many years ago.  Used large baits including half heads of a decent sized KY caught early on. Best fish took a butterflied jack mack caught during a previous session.  Other good fish took mullet and big slabs of the same KY about 200mm long and 40mm wide.  Kept  35 and 42cm snaps for dinner, and released 35, 42 and 53cm models.  When the bite died about 9:30 decided to stick it out in case a second bite started up, but not to be.  Tried to catch live baits but Uncle's Mack flasher rigs only caught baby snapper.  The big KY heads were picked at but not engulfed.

Nice one, FQ. Snap used to say this is the time of year when the bigger ones come in to that area for the winter, and I remember he liked it on the outgoing like it was yesterday. Would have been a stunning morning for it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:34pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thinking of heading out tomorrow but had rubbish fishing the last few trips. Any advice on where they're holding?
Launching okahu usually head rakino noises way. Fishing lures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 5:26am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ecko: try wash fishing?  If there's any residual swell it will help.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 8:06pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 9/6/19  07:30 to 11 am

Launched Kohi (very shallow, all 4 wheels of the car in the water) and headed back to Karaka Bay reef where 2 weeks ago got good snapper to 53cms.  Not today.  Caught a few small KY and jack macks on a sprat rig and butterflied some and put them out with 8/0 circle hooks.  Also tried squid and mullet.  Nada by 9am so moved over to East Bastion reef.  Started catching snapper straight away.  Pumping the berley bag hard seemed to keep them coming.  Kept 8 snapper 30 to 40cms, 4 small ky for the pan, and froze the leftover sprats for another day.  Fantastic weather, such a contrast with yesterday.

My mate George went home with a feed and we had fresh snapper for dins tonite, and gave away a big bag of fillets to mates.  Probably used less than a litre of gas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 5:17am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice report mate

around bastion, is there much current.... unweighted stray lined baits ?

want to try my luck there with the kayak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 8:20am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good fishing Mr FQ - When I get out again it will be berley for sure in shallows - lightly weighted rigs best and always take my salt water fly gear for a bit of fun!
Page  <1 363364365366367 393>