Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 359360361362363 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 7:50am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I reckon the Catch Stingaz jigheads are the ducks nuts from a dragging perspective - I caught a nice fish with one of these and a Squid Viscous.These jigheads make the Gulps sit up very nicely and overcomes the lack of buoyancy they have .... 
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 5:56pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Late start today because of work Christmas do yesterday.   Tried Motuihe channel for a change.  Worked some lures but basically felt like being lazy and just dragging curly tails.  New penny caught more, but motor oil probably the better fish.  Ended up with 3 in the 40-45 range, a couple smaller in the bin and some smaller snaps that went back.

Got sharked again as well.  Twice this year so far, 3 or 4 times last summer, but can't remember ever before then around the rangi area.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 8:01pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

Late start today because of work Christmas do yesterday.   Tried Motuihe channel for a change.  Worked some lures but basically felt like being lazy and just dragging curly tails.  New penny caught more, but motor oil probably the better fish.  Ended up with 3 in the 40-45 range, a couple smaller in the bin and some smaller snaps that went back.

Got sharked again as well.  Twice this year so far, 3 or 4 times last summer, but can't remember ever before then around the rangi area.

Nice one. Got sharked by rangi yesterday...
Also motor oil day yesterday too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 9:12pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are the snapper still in roe or has spawning time passed. Been trying to get out all week and thwarted at every attempt for one reason or other. But ill get there.
Sharks ,are they bronze whalers.

Maybe do what Ernest Hemingway did and use a Thompson sub machine gun  to deal with sharks taking his fish.Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 9:39pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My understanding is snapper spawn for several months from about now, multiple times. 
Typically, post Christmas, we get one or two thin fish each trip with what turns out to be soft white flesh if kept and filleted.I can recognise the recent spawners on landing now - they look a bit grey compared to other more silver fish - and put them back.

Definitely bronze whalers. Now is their spawning time in the shallows of the Waitemata. Any big juicy jack mack or mini tuna baits are magnets for them. Not been sharked here since I took up soft baiting, but had that experience in a shallow harbour up north on what was a pretty good snapper. Quite awesome, the power they have.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 9:52pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we get one or two thin fish each trip with what turns out to be soft white flesh if kept and filleted.I can recognise the recent spawners on landing now - they look a bit grey compared to other more silver fish - and put them back

Look at the shoulder above the pectorals in front of the dorsal. If its concave then let it go, it will have white mushy flesh and crap to eat. The rounder it is the more fat and condition its carrying and the better it is to eat. Works all year roubd.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 10:00pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Snapper will spawn right into Feb at least. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 10:11pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Terrafish, a useful piece of wisdom there regarding identifying condition of snapper.

I too was out around the motutapu/motuhie area yesterday. Plenty of snapper and terns working fast moving Kahawai schools out in the channel. Drifting with long mullet strips and recurve hooks quickly filled the bin. Swapped over to new penny curly tails fished hard on the bottom and got into some nice string pullers.

We got excited casting at the bouys on the way back but it turned out to be 20m of stuck anchor warp which we tidied up as best we could.

Cirrus- Most females currently in the area were pretty much spent but the males still had a while to go which is a contrast to a couple of weeks ago.
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 10:11pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

But the condition of them sucks(late jan/feb). Little bit like the mother of 14 children, To many saggy soft bits!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 4:45pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Belated report Sunday 9/12/18  7 to 9:30 am

Fished the city channel, incoming tide and a brisk SW wind.  Tried to use the container wharf as protection against the wind, but still ended up with diagonal drifts over towards the naval base.  Drifted with kaburas, and worked a gulp curried chicken (red/yellow) crazy legs.  Nothing but small fish until 9, then 3 keepers 35 to 38cms fairly quickly after that on orange kaburas.  Tide was almost full at 9:30 so called it quits.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 5:26pm
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone have any tips on kawau? Never fished there and taking some people out (the females in our lives) tomorrow who need to catch fish to be convinced it is a worthwhile pursuit. Tia
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 12:30am
spearomaniac View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

good setup you got
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 7:07pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 15/12/18 8:30 to 11:15am

Back to the city channel with George and a welcome wind-with tide NE wind and incoming tide.  Pretty good straight drift from 19 buoy past Devonport wharf, the naval base and even past Stanley Point.  There were small patches of fish and fairly consistent hookups throughout the drift.  We kept 9 snapper and a medium gurnard.  Lures used included 60g yellow/orange kaburas, Gulp 5" nuke chook shads, Gulp curried chicken crazylegs, Zman 4" curlytails in new penny and coconut ice - all worked.  Fish kept were from 33 to 46cms and in good condition.  Good times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 8:04pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work FQ.  I'm off on hols (with pretty poor forecast to be honest) but when back i will be trying similar drifts with newbies: pretty good introduction to fishing: choose your lure!

Interesting you were catching at "gentlemen's hours".  Maybe i don't need to set the alarm...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 8:10pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fishing Geoff - good fish too. I was going to go inner harbor tomorrow morning but was invited by a mate up to Kaipara for a crack at salt water fly - something different so will give to a go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 8:24am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Inner harbour is full of fish. Not big but plenty of those 35-45cm pannies there if you want them.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 1:44pm
Tinca View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

When I lived in Birkenhead and fished the upper harbour in my 12' tinny around the end of the year/beginning of the next, we often caught two distinct types of 30-40cm 'baby' sharks. One was new penny colour on top and white underside, which I assumed were Bronze Whalers, but the other was a rich dark blue on top, again with white undersides. Anyone any idea what species this would be birthing in the upper harbour? Mako? Blue Shark?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 4:17pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 22/12/18  8:30 to 11am

Back to the city channel hoping for a repeat or even better than last weekend.  Not to be.  The channel looked very fishy with KY breaking the surface from Okahu bay in past Devonport wharf, and gulls chasing them about.  Dolphins showed up and were quite close, but my photography skills let me down.  Quite a bit of midwater sign from the KY, but not much on the bottom.

The drift speeds were up there today, reaching 2.7 knots at times, which seems to be too fast for the snapper to be bothered with.  Getting closer to the north shore dropped the drift speed back to 1.8 knots, and around 10:30 3 snapper in about 3 minutes:
[Once again, the photo uploading software lets me down! :(]

Kept 2 x 34cm and 1 x 46cm in average condition.  Orange kabura was best but Zman curlytail 4" new penny also got one.  Probably around 10 undersized ones released during the session.

There were quite a few others drifting, but didn't see a lot of fish being caught.  Looks like the next few days could be showery and or too windy. Will try again on the 27th if the weather is OK.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 5:01pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was out there from 5:30 to 9ish in the good ship Sika

Had a regular stream coming on board to 46 cm was just fishing for a feed so kept anything reasonable. 

Coconut ice softbait dragged out back then swept (like stick baiting) seemed to trigger a bite, as did the Orange Kabura. New Penny also worked. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 11:27am
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Out again this morning at dawn to ensure we had fish for Xmas.

Drifted between Stanley Point and the Harbour Bridge on the incoming tide

Tried various softbaits and Kabura. The winner was Coconut Ice softbait again - the murky water needs a brighter colour? The Kaburas were only hit a couple of times. Biggest Snap went 48cm.
Page  <1 359360361362363 393>