Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 358359360361362 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote simsim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 6:33am
simsim View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We had a similar day to you on Sunday Far Quirk. Launched at Okahu Bay and fished from 0830 to 1130. Bitetime 0920-1120. Started at No 12 buoy and no fish on sounder till got to No 2 buoy where there was the occasional fish showing. Used variety of SBs for just a few bites. Headed out to A buoy and similar. Quite a few boats there mostly anchored but not much action on any of them. Came back to No 2 Buoy and fished there till end of bite time. Caught three undersize on limetiger colour. Nice to be on water for first time this season but will probably head out further next time out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 7:03pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tuesday Nov 6.  Quick trip with a plan.  Drifting close in to Rangi with microjigs.  Fishing by 6:15, zilch until 7:30 when the tide startedrunning (bit of a misjudgement by me). Slow on the jigs though, changed to Plan B (motor oil jerk shad) and things took off.  2 snapper on or just over 50cm, 3 @40, 3 @ 10-15 cm,1 x trevalli and a pigfish (?).  All safely returned (does that make me a cruel *******?) apart from 1 x 40cm for tea for two.  Pankos today. Back at ramp by 9:45.  Few showers but who cares? Can't get over how beautiful this place is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 7:46pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice  report. Sounds great and obviously was a great morning out there. Yes the beauty out there is always present. 
Pigfish.-interesting. There is nothing much else that looks like one of those so it must of been. A rare catch for the gulf imo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:31pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice work Brmbrm.  And the you undersold the thrill of catching fish in shallow water, and the fight they put up.  Some day I'll abandon my dull drifting tactics and fish for fun again.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 7:16am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One pigfish (?) with shad, one snapper with jig. Yes, they go well in the shallows and no barotrauma is a bonus
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 10:00am
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cool!
That’s a goatfish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 10:07am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So it is - a first for me!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 11:26am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For future ID purposes brmbrm, this is a Pigfish...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 12:08pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gotcha thanks! LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 6:17am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Saturday morning.  Prefer not to fish the weekends but the choice is fish the weekend or don't fish.  Got very busy.  Same thing - drifting close to Rangi with SPs (motor oil). Good early, biting hard, then things slowed down a bit, but a steady run of fish, largest 50, most around 35-42. Kept enough for a feed.

Fat with roe.

A couple of times boats hooned past close (20 metres away, once even closer).  Seemed to put the fish off for 15 minutes or so.  I never drive over my drift in shallow water, but parallel to it maybe 150 metres out then creep in as slow as I can.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:12pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 18/11/18  6 to 8:30am

Back to the city channel to see how the season is progressing.  Dragged 4 different sets from close to the Cloud to out near 18 buoy on the outgoing tide.  Drift speeds 0.9 to 1.2 knots, almost ideal.  Terminal tackle included a Fishtech "slippery slider", orange (a kabura), a cheapy from Marine Deals.  Also had a Gulp 5" pink shine shad, on a worm hook, 1/4 oz sinker.  Third rig was the new Black Magic "Snapper Snack" flasher rig which has "tails" similar to a kabura, with 5/0 recurve hooks and orange tail, fished with strips of mullet.  Last but not least was a Gamakatsu 8/0 circle hook with 1oz sinker and white fluorobead butted up against the hook, fished with either salted bonito or mullet.

The baited rigs got most of the early interest but they were mainly baby pickers.  Kept a couple of 32cm snapper for dinner, not knowing how the morning would go, and feeling pessimistic after recent city sessions.  Sometime after 7 the "bigger" snapper started to bite and a few around 35cms came on board. The kabura and Gulp started to produce and some better snaps nailed the bait as well.  The Gulp worked best if actively worked and it was exciting to feel the braid ripping out from some of the hits on the pink shine.  Not manic on-the-drop hits like later in the season, but encouraging.

I'm an amateur statistician, and was unable to say with any confidence which rig worked best on the day.  Anything goes.

Kept 7 and left them biting at 8:30.  Returned about 5 legal snapper up to 34cms.  Great conditions, virtually no wind.

Prediction based on previous years - by Xmas there will be plenty of snapper up to the mid fifties in the city channel. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 9:35pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice report Geoff - one of my clients sons sent a photo in of a snapper around the 4kg mark caught near naval base a few days ago. Not sure of numbers of fish though but definitely snapper already there. PS your slipping with only the 4 rods out!! Give me a yell if you keen on any Rotoiti missions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:16am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Dragged 4 different sets from close to the Cloud to out near 18 buoy

where is the cloud mate ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:28am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Cloud event centre by the ferry building mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:35am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:42am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Being close to the cloud really means your fishing has taken you closer to heaven,as it should.

I did a trip on the same day,but an afternoon trip. Launched at the ever busy okahu bay around 3pm.. Down the motuhie channel side.

Looking out for surface activity but saw none,except for a few small fast moving schools of boats. Decided there would be nothing under them.
Settled in for a spot of bait fishing on the outgoing tide.(yes bait)
Genuine ,frozen,mushy,freezer burnt,dried out Kahawai,caught by me  in the Manukau in April. It worked well.
Fishing was slow,but as the boat traffic died away and the shadows began to fall a few came on.
Mostly not big snapper ,32-36 cm. The last and 7th fish was a nice hard fighting 54.5 cm fish. Made the day.

Nothing like time on the water to lift the spirit . Solitude in quiet places.Fish or no fish there are always new things to see, new sounds to hear ,new adventures,new perspectives and new places to go.
Always the realm of order out there.
Motored back in after sunset ,another day had come and gone,but time well spent.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 10:12pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tuesday, weather window, work window, first to Takapuna ramp and fishng by just after 6, close in to Rangi.  Biting hard until 7am, then went slow. Just seemed to take the SP and chew on it.   All very tentative.  All around 32-38 I guess.  tried various colours. 7-8 snaps and a KY.

About 9am thought I'd drift the channel, have a sandwich, cup of tea and put my feet up.  Started near number 2 buoy.  Good bites, mostly on the drop or soon after, best near-50, kept one for a meal, rest back safely.

Todays winner:  "baby bass" which i bought somewhere on my travels. Very effetive.

Very quiet out there, water as flat as anything, zero wind and too hot and stuffy!Image result for baby bass jerk shad Zman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 7:43pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 2/12/18  10am to 1pm

Fished the city channel with big wind-driven diagonal drifts with the inward tide and NE wind.  The tide only kicked in at 10:30 and overall, the late start and windy day might have been the cause of the very average fishing.  Released a few in the 30 to 33cm range and only kept 1 38cm snapper caught with a 5" Gulp pink shine shad.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:03pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You deserve a bonus fush FQ - too windy for me.  Getting old....

My last trip I was catching on dragged curly tails in the channels (while i had a break for sandwich etc).  Start of the summer fishing do you reckon?  My next try likely to be city channel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:38pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good on you for giving it a crack, Geoff.
For what it's worth, in the Gulp range, my favourite lure by far is the 5" Crazy Legs Jerk Shad, which has the long, thin dual curly tail. They seem to be made of a much stronger compound than the 4" grubs, so are quite durable, and the movement in the dual squiggly tails is amazing, even just sitting in the current. They require much less action than the Jerk Shad to come to life.

I think you can only buy the Crazy Legs in a tub. I have several colours and put a few of each into one tub (one of the red-lidded Plano containers, which unlike the Gulp ones, don't leak). I've found the Pink Shine, New Penny and Lime Tiger all pretty deadly. Going to try Watermelon this summer, too.

If they were buoyant, like Z Mans, they would be the perfect dragging softie, i reckon. The head down, tail up, angle of the Z Mans and Catch Livies is the one big area where they have it over Gulp for grubbing summer fish.  
Page  <1 358359360361362 393>