Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 353354355356357 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 12:03pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=fishwisperer]
A fun morning fishing an old haunt (Browns Bay reef)

Pea and I have been fishing the Bays since the early 90's and one place that held some nice fish was around Browns Bay reef, Pea

Hi Fishwisperer
Is there any reason why you seem to be putting the same reports in numerous threads? Cry

Keith
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 7:13pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sorry have removed....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 2:07pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 15/4/18  7:45 to 10:45 am

Took my team leader at work fishing in the city channel.  I swear it's not an attempt to curry favour, because I've taken most of my immediate colleagues out over the years.

We started not far from the Cloud and drifted out with the tide.  The bite was strong early on and we kept 3 from 32 to 40cms.  We use kaburas and a zman motor oil curlytail.  The snapper got smaller and we picked up maybe 1 on the next drift, and a medium KY just as we were resetting a drift.  It hit a kabura about half way up, and being wound in quite fast.  Lot more small fish on the south side of the harbour, so we spent the final half hour with a few other boats fishing near Devonport wharf.  The fish were bigger here and we picked up 3 from 33 to 42cms in very quick time.  Final total was 7 snapper and a KY, and team leader was very chuffed with the outing, even though we both got quite wet from heavy showers about 9am.

Many of the people I take out are gobsmacked  that we can fish right in the middle of the city, and we catch a decent amount of fish in a fairly short time.  Long may it last!
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 2:14pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You clearly had a great morning out as always geoff, and yes, long may it last. Seems the fish are still in close in reasonable numbers. A bit of rain is not so bad if the fishing is good.

Also anyone know if they have got round to fixing the pontoon at the okahu ramp ,and bothered to degrease it at low tide level.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 6:41pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Cirrus
Rang the council today and they said the parts for the pontoon repair have arrived and they're doing the repair this week.  They're also cleaning the ramp this week!

Any of you midweek fishos, feel free to report on progress.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 5:49pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thankyou for that good news.A clean ramp and two pontoons sounds great. Was a while back when i rang both the council and the ramp to be assured it was all underway. Took a while.

Last two times there getting the boat on at lowish tide was tricky with a ramp surface that resembled polished glass.

Trying to get the boat lined up in a breeze,hook on the winch rope ,keep it tight and get to the winch handle took agility,slow motion and luck.
That ramp was potentially dangerous.
The old Simon & Garfunkel song came to mind.

"Slip slidin away
 Slip slidin away.
 You know the nearer your destination the more youre slip slidin away"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 8:13am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Monday 23/4/18  2:15pm to 5:15pm

Launched Okahu Bay.  The second pontoon is repaired and back in action, after over 3 months dithering by “The Landing”, the company that “looks after” the Okahu Bay facilities.  2 out of 3 machines for parking were unusable so I had to use the one near the entrance to the new marina.  They’re lucky they get paid at all!  The ramp was slippery when we came back, but not a deathtrap, so maybe a small tick on this issue.

SW winds up to 10 knots, overcast, outgoing tide, drift speeds 0.7 to 1.7knots.

Fishing the city channel was great once we sorted out a good drift and found a patch of fish.  George was with me and he likes the smaller snapper for steaming, and has a big whanau, so anything over 32 went in the bin.  We stopped with 13 snapper, 4 over 40cm, 7 over 35cm, and the other 6 32 to 34cm.  They took the Kaveman 60g orange/yellow kabura (best), a 4” Zman motor oil curlytail (next best), and the other lures all got one or two keepers (Zman electric chicken 4” curlytail, Maxistrike red/orange 40g kabura, Gulp 5” nuke chook shad).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 8:42pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Wednesday 25/4/18  4:15 to 6pm

My oldest son is leaving NZ for a while and this little window was the only time we could go fishing.  We launched at Okahu bay and flogged the same city channel area that went well on Monday.  We still had fish in the fridge so we set a 40cm minimum length for snapper.  The outgoing tide was only just getting going and the 10 knot SW gave us a crabby drift to start.  We worked our way up in size and were soon releasing lots of fish in the 30 to 38cm range.  We intended to fish until 6 and at 5:55 we had a double hookup which turned into a triple hookup.  My son pulled in a 40cm keeper and I put mine back.  He then pulled in a 42cm keeper, so saved by the bell.  We kept just the 2 snapper and my son also pulled in the third biggest.

Short & sweet and good times.

Back at the ramp the ministry of fisheries were checking the catch.  We saw one boat with a lot of unhappy campers around it, and "these are too small" coming from the fisheries guys, so it's still happening.  First time I've been checked in maybe 4 years?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 10:05pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What a nice way to spend time with your son before he leaves,and on such a perfect late Autumn day. And some fish to go with it.

Not sure if i have this quite right but it seems fish are in close later this year than they normally are.

I also was checked by MPI at Okahu Bay  recently. They busted the boat in front of us for undersize. Good to see MPI there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:42am
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anyone been out and about near Rangi lately?

Have Friday off and the weather looks like its going to play ball going to lunch at takapuna 

Thanks!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:10am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Monday 23/4/18  2:15pm to 5:15pm

Launched Okahu Bay.  The second pontoon is repaired and back in action, after over 3 months dithering by “The Landing”, the company that “looks after” the Okahu Bay facilities.  2 out of 3 machines for parking were unusable so I had to use the one near the entrance to the new marina.  They’re lucky they get paid at all!  The ramp was slippery when we came back, but not a deathtrap, so maybe a small tick on this issue.

SW winds up to 10 knots, overcast, outgoing tide, drift speeds 0.7 to 1.7knots.

Fishing the city channel was great once we sorted out a good drift and found a patch of fish.  George was with me and he likes the smaller snapper for steaming, and has a big whanau, so anything over 32 went in the bin.  We stopped with 13 snapper, 4 over 40cm, 7 over 35cm, and the other 6 32 to 34cm.  They took the Kaveman 60g orange/yellow kabura (best), a 4” Zman motor oil curlytail (next best), and the other lures all got one or two keepers (Zman electric chicken 4” curlytail, Maxistrike red/orange 40g kabura, Gulp 5” nuke chook shad).

Geeze FQ, ever given thought to being NZs first commercial soft bait fisherman? Haha. Really nice. Well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:13am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

Good advice re fishing the channels FQ.

However a full tide first thing is also a great time to fish the shallows before the tide starts to run. This one i picked up this morning in close around Rangi. A real kelpie.

Wow Clay that must have been a local all its life by the colour. My fav is reef snaps,  just gorgeous. Thats about as dark as they get.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 3:57pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 5/5/18   7 to 10am

Launched Okahu Bay and noticed the recently repaired pontoon is damaged again, you have to leap across about a 700mm gap about half way long.Confused

Still flogging the city channel but it has the feel of a slightly spent force.  Lots of small snapper, and the average size of the keepers is decreasing.  You could draw all sorts of conclusions from this such as the fish have moved out, or the bigger ones have moved out, but there could be lots of other explanations.  Spent about half an hour close to the docks on the south side of the harbour, drift speed 0.3 knots, no bites - funny that.  Need a drift speed over 0.5 knots to work with the dragging technique.  Others may disagree, but the general pattern noted this year is that arriving too early (before sunrise) often produces a lot of small fish.  Used to think that about 9am might as well go home, and that may have some truth straylining in the shallows, but not dragging kaburas and SPs.  This morning 3 out of 4 keepers caught after 9:30.

Tried a couple of trout flies for a laugh.  Dropper rig with a big yellow fly on top (look at moi) and a globug/booby combo near the bottom with a drop of secret sauce on it.  The flies got occasional touches and hooked and released a 20cm snapper.  Despite jigging and dragging, this little experiment rated F and was shelved after a couple of hours dabbling.  No doubt there are better flies, but was busy enough with the other rods and left the same 2 flies on the whole time.

60g orange/yellow kaburas and Zman motor oil curlytails both produced keepers from 35 to 37cms.

Met Cirrus from Fishing.Net at Okahu Bay ramp.  Pleased to meet you John, and will look out for you in future.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 6:54pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was likewise nice to meet you yesterday morning geoff. Spotted this boat named Far Quirk and thought it could not be coincidence.
Well ,here is how our day went or what was left of it .
Motored down the South side of Motutapu,glassy calm . By the time we reached home bay a light easterly was pushing into the out going tide and the sea was calm but lumpy.Could feel the first of the early winter chill factor. 5 weeks since last trip and noticed the change. Water much colder, light not as strong. A grey sea and grey sky.
Stopped at a spot that last year fished well into late May. 
Dropped a line . A couple of fish right off then it went quiet.
And that was to be the pattern of the day. Went around to the Motutapu side of Rakino channel. Tried two more spots where i had never fished before. Same pattern. All on for a bit then nothing.
Who could know why. Came back with 5 snapper each. Not huge, my fish went from 32.5 cm to 40.5 cm.
But one thing i did notice and felt disappointed about was the lack of Kahawai. In past years the whole area has had acres of them and thousands of birds, a sea of bountiful  life. Never saw a bird or a single workup.That has been the case all season.
Love catching them at this time of year. This year have not seen a sign of them. Feels like an important part of my fishing experience has gone.
Where are they. Are they following a different track this year due to warmer summer temperatures ,or have they been caught. I dont know ,but miss them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:53pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heaps of them around the south side of the Whangaparaoa peninsula still. They may have been laying low with the small tides on the weekend?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 10:30am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Next time you see those Kahawai telecaster would you please tell them to head south a bit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:11pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Cirrus
I was fishing this morning in close rangi shallows just past lighthouse and there were quite a few kahawaii working just out from me . Caught a few horse kahawaii that I released in close too.
Snapper were hungry and varied in size a lot - plenty of rangi champion 25-30cm , but lost 2-3 rippers due to trace snapping, hooks pulling and general muppetry user error. Only wanted a few for dinner and ended up with a 45cm and 2 x 37cm...
Baits were frozen jack macks and the new pilchard/sardines salty dog are doing.. As little weight as possible too. I think the salmon berley worked good too - big slick off it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:50pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work, RF. You are overdue some nice relaxing time off after the big move - great day for it.

What brand salmon berley, mate? I've been unimpressed by the past couple I've tried - since the ITM branded stuff from king salmon seemed to stop, I've had lumpy glug which didn't disperse at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 3:05pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Hi Cirrus
I was fishing this morning in close rangi shallows just past lighthouse and there were quite a few kahawaii working just out from me . Caught a few horse kahawaii that I released in close too.
Snapper were hungry and varied in size a lot - plenty of rangi champion 25-30cm , but lost 2-3 rippers due to trace snapping, hooks pulling and general muppetry user error. Only wanted a few for dinner and ended up with a 45cm and 2 x 37cm...
Baits were frozen jack macks and the new pilchard/sardines salty dog are doing.. As little weight as possible too. I think the salmon berley worked good too - big slick off it.

Hi RF - thanks. Which side of the lighthouse - City side or Northern side?

I went out Sat am and tried the northern side of Rangi Lighthouse - got 4 keepers 36 to 46cm on good old New Penny on 1/2oz OA jighead. Was a fair bit (unexpectedly) lumpy so came back towards the Bays and found heaps of snapper at consistently mid 30's - took 3 for my bag limit, had some fun and headed home happy. The Bays snapper were smashing 4" Pepper Prawn jigging grubs. 
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 3:20pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's interesting you say that re the forecast, Sufishent. I was watching the sea compared to the absolutely mint forecast for Saturday morning and thought to myself swellmap and Windy.com had got it very wrong. Easterly and then northerly both exceeded the forecast.

Metservice were saying 10 northerly, which proved to actually be accurate.

A mate of mine went out around Tiri and was unpleasantly surprised by the chop, compared to the 9s forecast in terms of conditions.
Page  <1 353354355356357 393>