Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 34567 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 1:20pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go the tinnies! Been having fun in a friend's old skool 12' Fyran and catching a couple of decent snaps from it. Doesn't get much more fun that that!
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 2:00pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Keith
Windguru & Metservice marine forecasts both look quite light in the morning.  Pretty safe bet for a 12 footer I reckon, but always check before you leave.

RF
High tide tomorrow 4:20 am, so outgoing in the morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 2:09pm
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'll see you there Geoff and will bring your pliers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 2:15pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes, Geoff - the weather forecasts have converged into a good outlook for tomorrow as the day has progressed. Could see you out there between 05h30-09h00.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 2:54pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The small tides are not the best but we can't have everything!

fq - probably best from 6.20 to 8.20am when tidal flow best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 3:36pm
rocko View Drop Down

Go hard fella,s ill be Land basing it this weekend...until i get my trailer rebuilt.. i dont realy want to be towing it on the motorway yetThumbs%20Down rusty bits dont hold to well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 10:46am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sat 2/2/08 6 to 10 am
At least 3 sets of "12's" met up in Sergeant's channel.  Most did well, but I had one of my not-so-hot days.  Caught a lot of fish from 20 to 38cms, but the boat limit 40cm minimum fish were hard to find.  Not so for Betterthanwork and KarlosNZ.  The first couple of drifts, they were reeling them in & plenty over 40cms.  Also news from Keith C that he did well this morning, but not sure where coz I didn't see him.

Found KarlosNZ (Karl) first, & he was hooked into a goodun (sorry about the shots)

Soon after found BTW & mate (less 12-ish than usual, but I forgave him) also into the fish

I got a few, but struggled until I went about 2 Km's south of the channel around 9am when I got 2 over 40.  The others were kept because one had a tag, and the other 2 swallowed the hook.

The fish & the tag.  I have to ring Niwa to go into the draw to win a rod & reel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 11:27am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Must have been a few there if BTW was getting into them..........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 11:34am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes, between 2 of us we did well bringing home 12 snaps 400-580 and a 580 trev caught on western side of Motuihe channel but East of ferry lane. It was empty when we got there just after 6 am so, looking at the predominance of boats of the eastern side of the channel, decided to take our chances alone. It was a good choice with our boat limit soon being set to 450. Nukes were the bait of choice going thru almost two packs of 5" with Lime Ts and Atomic and Zoom getting fish. Only did 3 drifts and then decided to pack it in so as to avoid any hassles at the ramp. Will post pics later. I was outfished by my mate as far as both numbers and size as I experimented with different rigs eventually finding that 3/8 or 1/2 oz jigheads with 5" jerks seemed the best way to go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 11:48am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Chilly bin is just under 600 mm. Fun it definitely was especially before 8h00 when the charters et al started arriving. We saw many small fish being caught by the many boats on anchor. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 1:48pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice fish again Keith.  For me the bigger fish stayed away, but it was still fun, especially the first drift at 6am. Were you close to the red buoys?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karlosnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 2:19pm
Karlosnz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep was a good morning first drift 5 snaps all over 40cm so call was made none under 40 would be keptThumbs%20Up,
well that made things a little harder as things slow down heaps after 1st drift.
Threw back plenty and came home with 11 good sized ones.

Tried all sorts of baits today extrude, slug o's, strike kings but old Mr Berkley won hands down.

Mate also caught a old fishing rod and reel?

Good to meet ya FQ thats a nice little setup ya got there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 3:30pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No FQ, I was just east of the yellow ferry markers drifting the same lines you and I and Aquacat drifted a few Saturdays ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 3:31pm
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ouch RF - that's a bit harsh. Maybe it's you or maybe its your boat but something doesn't work for me whenever I go out in your boat. We had a great morning with a newbie to sb fishing using monofilament, heavy trace etc getting a respectable number of good fish on Pink Shines. I think I kept ahead of him with "real" gear but it just goes to show that you don't need to have the braid, fluro etc to use the sb's. Sargent Channel was good to us but we were a bit greedy taking 16 fish with the best ones close to 50cm and most over 40cm. I had nukes, Strike Kings and Squidgies all hooking up happily but admit to smearing squidgie sauce on the SK's as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 4:43pm
MJ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great haul Keith. Seems like all the keen fishos are doing really well around that general area at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fred Onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 5:03pm
Fred Onion View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cant have been much room left in the chilli bin Keith Thumbs%20Up
FORD King of the Mountain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote orange ruffie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 6:56pm
orange ruffie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

thats a nice trev! sum good fish there boys, was lookin out for the 12's but could see ya
think we need sum kind of members sticker ,shi# i probably drove straight pass sum of you,
lots of kings around the top of motohi channel today
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jake76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 8:13pm
Jake76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by lots of kings around the top of motohi channel today[/QUOTE lots of kings around the top of motohi channel today[/QUOTE wrote:

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGhhhhhhhhhhh new I should have fished this area today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 8:17pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fred Onion Fred Onion wrote:

Cant have been much room left in the chilli bin Keith Thumbs%20Up

Spot on Fred!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aquacat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2008 at 1:21pm
aquacat View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good going 12's. I decided to take a break from the SP's on Saturday and take my chances on some kingi's out at the Ahahaas. Caught 2 John Dory's and got absolutely smoked by 3 kingies. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. I have defnitely learnt from that trip and will be better prepared the next trip. Now back to some SP action.
Page  <1 34567 393>