Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 389390391392393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 2:35pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sunday 5th March 2023
Launched Takapuna and fished from Gardiners Gap along to the rock at the southern end of Aministration Bay.  Initially targeted the 2 to 5m shallows and caught mainly undersize snapper.  Moved a bit north to deeper water 5 to 16m and caught a couple of small keepers 32 and 35cms.  Used a 4" Zman new penny curlytail most of the time, but also dragged jigs, and lost 2 of those to the weedy bottom.  Caught a couple of jack macks and put one down on a dropper rig and drifted hoping for a king or larger snap but no bites.  Lastly trolled with 2 jack macks as live baits from Admin Bay back towards Gardiners Gap, but likewise no takers.
Flat car battery when I got back to the ramp.  AA took 2 hours to arrive :(
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 9:35pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good to see you haven't lost your ability to tell it like it is, Geoff. 
Nice to get a feed and some time on the water, all the same, even if things were relatively tough. 
A mate of mine was out in that area recently and said there was nothing like the anchovy work up action we experienced around this time last year - those days with brown clouds of fish visible all around, and predators taking advantage. Wonder if the crap weather has played a part in that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 6:02pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Out Monday 20th. At 6:30 Takapuna pretty quiet, but so many cars parked in the trailer spots.  I dont want to dob people in but....

Anyway.  Tried my usual Rangi channel drift but quiet and small stuff, so after an hour  or less went to Motuihe channel.  Plenty of snapper in the 40-45 cm range, some smaller, some larger but nothing over 50.  Kept 4, returned many more.  Back the clean-up then lunch.

Usual suspects: dragged new penny curly tail plus my lime green and yellow lucanus, which was my fishing style of choice today.  Surprisingly microjigs didnt even get a touch......

OK, back up north this week
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 9:37pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one, fish in the 40-50cm range seem in short supply this year in the normal summer haunts, so well done.

AT are pretty vigilant giving tickets to commuters in the Half Moon Bay carpark who park in the trailer-only zone (plenty of newbies in March madness who aren't aware of the zones), so I'm surprised they don't get stuck in at Takapuna too. Money for jam.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 4:55pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Last saturday morning 13th May? Henry and i went out for first time in months  - and judging by reports on here plenty of people the same.
Headed along Rangi shoreline - less than 9-10m - edge of foul - found a big ball of fish that went nearly to surface. 
Only one way to find out what they are - upcurrent 20m and deploed anchor - half pillie cast out no sinker - bang snapper hit it on surface immediately. Legal but no monster so good start and for next 2.5 hours had plenty of small snapper mainly happily feeding at back of boat in berley but we managed good snapper to 58cm.
Fished from 715 to 9.45am and had enough - pillies and squid
All fish good condition , good fillets - no *white mushy  ones- in fact never caught a mushy  one in shallows. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 12:04pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Winter 2023

Here are a few notes from the last few months.  I've been fishing with smelly bait and have refined my method a little.  I mainly fish in close and recently made mulptiple trips to Brown's Island.  I anchor in about 5m of water and cast back towards structure.  Berley is really important and I use the 3Kg mixed fish (not salmon) type that comes in a cardboard carton.  Bring them out of the freezer a couple of hours before fishing otherwise they will be very slow to release their contents.  I put them inside an onion bag which then goes into a wobble pot about 1 to 2m above the bottom.

As always I fish early mornings, but like to pick a day where the tide has just started to flow in or out, and the wind isn't too high.  Friday this week looks OK, low wind, beginning of an incoming tide about 7:30am.

I use about a metre of 40lb fluorocarbon trace, no sinker or up to 1oz depending on depth and tide, and green flasher bead, and size 7 to 10 recurve or circle hooks.  I like mullet as a bait and buy the fillets from YeeHaa.  KY either freshly caught or from the freezer is also good.  Also take a sprat rig (sabiki with squid bait) and use small KY or yellowtail, mainly as strip baits for snapper.  I haven't seen many larger snapper this season, so don't bother with butterflied sprats.

Pump the berley, set up 3 rods in rodholders, catch some sprats and wait, pumping the berley every 10 minutes.  Usually after 20 mins or so some keepers start biting and it can be all on from there.  The fish I am keeping range from 32 to 48cms, but very few are over 42cms.

Sat 2/9/23 7:15 to 8:30am
Fished Browns Island on an outgoing tide.  No keepers for about half an hour, then a flurry of them, often with 2 rods going off at the same time.  Kept 7 snapper from 32 to 38cms, all caught in under an hour.  Used about 3 Kgs of berley.  Mullet and KY were the best baits.

I've also made trips to the Manukau and Kaipara targetting mainly gurnard, but with only moderate success.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 2:50pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to hear you are still catching in the same spots Geoff. Where do you launch? No soft baits?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 4:10pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Keith

I mainly launch at Bucklands beach.  Sometimes Okahu Bay.  Not often at Kohi or St Heliers because the ramps often have over 30cms of soft sand on them.  My 4WD struggles.  I'm less of an activist than I used to be, so can't be bothered chasing the council.

Soft baits and jigs I use from around November to April.  Will buy some tungsten flea-type jigs and see how they go this summer.I still use a combination of dragging and active casting of both soft baits and jigs.

Have you been fishing in Taranaki recently? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 4:59pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well at least the fish are still close Geoff.

Only fished Auckland with MJ this year. Busy setting up a camper that I can fish the east coast and calm waters again. At 3.5m my boat won't even qualify for this thread any more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 6:32pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Hi Keith

I mainly launch at Bucklands beach.  Sometimes Okahu Bay.  Not often at Kohi or St Heliers because the ramps often have over 30cms of soft sand on them.  My 4WD struggles.  I'm less of an activist than I used to be, so can't be bothered chasing the council.

Soft baits and jigs I use from around November to April.  Will buy some tungsten flea-type jigs and see how they go this summer.I still use a combination of dragging and active casting of both soft baits and jigs.

Have you been fishing in Taranaki recently? 
Take a look at the kaveman tungsten jigs I like them better than the fleas and the paint stays on them for ages.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 6:35pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Friday 8/9/23 8 to 10:30am

Brown's Island again today, at an incoming tide spot.  The tide didn't flow until around 9am and the stream of undersize snapper and occasional medium KY ended about 9:15 with a 42cm snapper.  Last of the day was a fat 50cm snapper caught on a fillet off a small KY from the sprat rig.  Total only 4 snapper today, but they were bigger than last week so called it a day.  Mullet, KY and squid all caught keepers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 3:41pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 16/9/23 4 to 6pm

Took George out to Browns Island and berleyed up.  The fishing started slow with small snapper but after the berley started working the size increased to just legal and was trending upwards.  About 5:15 we ran out of berley and the fish stopped biting.  Got one or 2 more snapper by chunking up KY and scattering around the boat.  It got windier and colder so we packed up at 6pm.  Fresh KY was the best bait followed by mullet fillets and squid.    We kept 6 small snapper 30 to 34cms, and George took some small KY and a jack mack we caught on the sprat rig.  He likes to double fry them, Asian style.

Stupid question: Why has the squid bait looked black for the past few months?  Looks like it's half rotten.  Doesn't seem too matter where you buy it, although I did see a 2 Kg pack that looked normal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 9:18pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rare-ish trip for me from Auckland today, Friday 20th, morning trip for a few hours.  Last half of flood and a bit.  Rangi channel.  A million and one yachts - Labour weekend - some going slower than me on the drift (with drogue out).

Kept 4 nice pannies, 38-42ish, plus one a tad over 50cm.  All on various new penny varieties.  Dragging did the business - not much on the worked baits.  Nice to get out - wind been driving me crazy.  Crazy, I tell you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 5:10am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

Rare-ish trip for me from Auckland today, Friday 20th, morning trip for a few hours.  Last half of flood and a bit.  Rangi channel.  A million and one yachts - Labour weekend - some going slower than me on the drift (with drogue out).

Kept 4 nice pannies, 38-42ish, plus one a tad over 50cm.  All on various new penny varieties.  Dragging did the business - not much on the worked baits.  Nice to get out - wind been driving me crazy.  Crazy, I tell you
Be interesting to see what they taste like after tons of sewage spewing in to the harbour,you did know there is a Rahui on which bans water activity?The yachts were the coastal classic,had their start line moved from devonport to off narrowneck due to rahui.(unenforcable of course)
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 7:22am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Be interesting to see what they taste like after tons of sewage spewing in to the harbour,you did know there is a Rahui on which bans water activity?The yachts were the coastal classic,had their start line moved from devonport to off narrowneck due to rahui.(unenforcable of course)

No - wasn't aware of the rahui.  Maybe I'll try it on the cat first
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 7:29am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/kahu/rahui-placed-across-pristine-waitemata-harbour-by-ngati-whatua-orakei-after-raw-sewage-flows-in-the-harbour/BAQFRNSEZZERBEJHRFJK447RZE/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Offshore Echoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 7:57am
Offshore Echoes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/kahu/rahui-placed-across-pristine-waitemata-harbour-by-ngati-whatua-orakei-after-raw-sewage-flows-in-the-harbour/BAQFRNSEZZERBEJHRFJK447RZE/

you would think that if there was any real danger then actual warnings would be placed, random rahoi (id never even heard of these) seem a bit pointless....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 9:55am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Rahui is for Waitemata Harbour.  All the swimming water reports are fine for beaches outside the harbour
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 12:15pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wouldnt be too concerned 1930/40/50 the orakei serwer outlet dad and granddads go to fishing spot for snapper,ngapipi lagoon for flounder and never heard of them getting sick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 10:32pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They tasted great: pankoed up with ottolenghi carrots and oven wedges, plus some peas for colour.  Washed down with a couple of bottles of home brewed NEIPA.
Page  <1 389390391392393>