Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 388389390391392 393>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Luv2Fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 12:00pm
Luv2Fush View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the reply fshnut, it's a good setup.

I like a couple of rods ready to go as I find it hard to know when to change up what I'm fishing, keep persevering in the hope that they will come on the bite, or whether I'll drift past something that takes an interest.

I guess that's an age-old question.

I also just realised that this particular forum is only about fishing reports, not tips and tricks - Sorry if I posted my last in the wrong area.

So, here's my first report

- On Thursday, a.m. I went out with a mate for an early morning fish launched St. Heliers once the tide allowed. (around 5.30-ish).

Headed to the hole on the western side of Motuihe for a few very slow drifts; with no sign, we headed into the Motohuie Channel for 3 drifts, where things were a bit more promising. We had a dragged Z-man Bruised Banana paddle tail with no interest all day. There were a couple of takes on an Inchiku (I can't remember the colour). I did most damage with a 60g Orange Daiwa Kohga and ended up with x5 Snaps of 35cm to 43cm and at least 3-4 of a decent size that got away. I do struggle with how much to strike v's only winding gently and letting the hooks set themselves with the Kohga', definitely a few that got away due to this conundrum.  

We decided to go the long way home and tried our luck at the structure of Woody's Bay Rakino, then Billy Goat Point and Gardiner Gap, then the Rangi Channel, lighthouse and finally Bean Rock, all with little to no action.

It was a great morning out on the water, regardless. I'm keen to get a bit of fishing under my belt this spring/summer; this was a good way to start it! Hopefully, I'll see some of you out on the water at some point; you'll spot me. I'll be the one trying hard to look like he knows what he's doing but not doing a great job at it! LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 12:32pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey mate, after spending a few years solely focused on lure fishing and getting consistent results my advice is to be less adhd with your fishing .... take one rod set up and dedicate a couple of months at least to that style of fishing. try softbaiting the shallows casting into the rock and weed lines around waiheke and rangitoto remember with softbaiting its all in the movement dragging softys does work but not as much as being connected and and making the softy look like a dying injured fish .. you'll be surprised at what you can catch in very shallow water with bruised banana grub tail on a 1/4 oz jig head
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 5:06pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Luv2fush, like spin king says. And new penny on the bottom around the areas out of St Heliers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote fshnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:20am
fshnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes I agree, there's no need for so many outfits if planning on fishing in the shallows or close in. Much better to work on 1 or 2 outfits, try sort out how they best perform in different conditions (weather, wind tide, time of year etc).  On Sat 1709, me and GR8MAN fished in the Tamaki Straits in mill pond conditions and found the fish in 5-6 m of water, mostly on softbaits, couple on flies, and came home with 12 (biggest just shy of 50)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Luv2Fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 6:55am
Luv2Fush View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's not what the guy in the fishing shop told me 😅, they must have seen me coming a mile away.....Only joking Smile.

It's good advice; I'll try not to otherthink it spin king. It won't be easy, but I'll keep it in mind next time I load my boat up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Luv2Fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 1:20pm
Luv2Fush View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went for a quick evening fish last night with a friend. Didn't have a lot of time so headed to the Motuihe channel, it was super still on thje water. Once we were in the channel we drifted on the outgoing tide towards Waiheke. It was quiet for the first hour and then the fish came on. Lots of smaller snapper and then a feed of 35cm-45cm Snapps and a surprise Carrot to mix it up. An Orange 60gm Kohga and  Zman Shiner Paddle Tail did all the damage

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 1:32pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good result - the channels should be fishing good between now and xmas
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Luv2Fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 9:32pm
Luv2Fush View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

An early norning mission.
Launching at St Heliers at 6.00am headed straight out to the Noisies with very little action for the first 2 hours or so,  we moved spot and had one long drift heading east and got consistent sign on the sounder.
Once the bite came on,  the fish were consistent and of a really decent size. 
We took a couple of smaller snappers after the slow start, but ended up with a good haul with the largest at 78cm and good amount over 50cm
All the large ones taken on a Daiwa 80gm Gold Kohga with a larger skirt.
The smaller fish taken by my fishing partner on a titanium 60gm orange with the original skirt.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 4:52am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 3:20pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

December 2022

Several trips this month, all with soft baits and jigs.  None of them very successful, especially when I took a mate I've known over 40 years with me.  1 measly 32cm snapper keeper on that trip.  From recollection there have been five trips.  2 in Rangi channel using the lighthouse as an approx starting point, but I tend to go fairly close to the red or green buoys.  1 snapper from 1 trip, 2 from the next.

1 trip to the city channel using Fergusson container terminal as a marker.  Fairly high current (over 2 knots) and dirty water, but had one good drift for 3 keeper snaps, mostly on Zman shiners, 4" shad.

2 trips to Motuihe channel, the best was about 2 weeks ago with 6 keeper snapper from 32 to 38cms.

Here is the detail on yesterday, when I kept no snapper, but took photos of each one, along with the lure they were caught on.  Caught 17 snapper, 13 undersize, 2 exactly 30cms, a 32 and a 24cm, all released and swam away strongly.

6 on a Zman 4" atomic sunrise curlytail, including the 32cm.

5 on a Zman 4" motor oil curlytail including the 34cm.

3 on a Zman 4" shiner shad, 1 at 30 rest under

2 on a Kaveman 40g CJ microjig.

1 on an unknown lure.

3 rods in the rod holders, one other I did a few casts with but caught naff all because too distracted by the other rods.

Fished from 7:15 to 10:15am near the yellow buoys to start but only tiddlers there.  About 9:30 started a drift from Home Bay in about 18m and got the 32 and 34cm snaps here.  Current was fairly strong at about 1.5 knots.  Best rig was 12lb rainbow braid to about 1m of 20lb fluoro, 2oz ball sinker, small fluoro bead, #3 VMC long shank worm hook, copper wire keeper to stop the bait from being dragged down or ripped off.  In theory the sinker kicks up sand/mud, and I only use 2oz when the tide is strong.

Happy New Year everyone.  I may continue these reports.  I'll see how my New Year resolutions go.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Macca99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 2:39pm
Macca99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great stuff Far Quirk and happy New Year, I was missing your reports especially when I’m struggling to get out myself. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ghostly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 5:18pm
ghostly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the post Far quirk .I was disappointed a t the lack of posts in the forum then realised I' m just as bad as i don't contribute.Really only got back into saltwater after cindy locked the gate in 2021 and some mates showed me how to softbait which i really like .
So Dec 26 was going away but foul forecast cast up north in the immediate future so stayed on a day .Great day on the softies bruised banana -fished sargeant and motuihe channel .Could have kept a limit but had one 58cm so some were returned to appease the gods.The key was the right drift -cast angle where he plastic could stay away from the boat for a good period of the drift .
Yesterday back in the same areas  and fizzed to have another go but epic fail -a couple of dozen undersize and only one keeper.
First time didn't bring home a graze in many days out .Bemused but probably perservered with the softies too long as i like to fish the sub 20m mark .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 6:12pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try micro jigs, same gear and similar technique but can work better on days when soft baits aren’t.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blackdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 11:03pm
Blackdogg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Man I’ve covered some ground in the last few trips. All my ‘go to’ spots which normally always provide have only given me hard times. Plenty of fish, but all just under legal size. Rangi channel, motuihe channel, crusoe rock, durville rocks, ahaas, noises, 40m mark north of waiheke have all been the same for me.
Best I’ve caught was 45cm today with a measly return of 12 fish kept from 4 trips. That being said, every day has been primo out there. Love the gulf, even when it’s difficult
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blackdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 11:06pm
Blackdogg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Forgot to add, I’ve thrown everything at it too. Softbaits, flatfall lures, micro jigs, inchikus, stickbaits and poppers. All the stuff that usually works really well for me just isn’t at the moment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 11:13pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Suggest you try old fashioned bait Blackdog and use those lures (especially little jigs) to catch few kahawai and yellowtail , and buy some 9/0 hooks and 60 lb trace and strayline big baits. I guarantee fish size will go up with bit of patience and wind and tide right way with bait lightly weighted (=1/4 ounce).  Might not all be snaps but most will be.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 9:40am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im still waiting to get out and will report when i do - however my mate henry was out Saturday and landed 8 snapper- 3 really good ones in front of the cranes in akld harbour. Mostly on softbait with 2 on baits i think. Dont give up on harbour yet boys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 9:14am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tried last saturday - left bayswater 615am - tried cranes but nothing much there. 
hEADED AROUND LIGHTHOUSE, NORTH RANGI, GARDNERS, ADMIN BAY- just rafts of birds here and there with nothing working. Kept heading around motutap to motuhie and found the anchovies getting worked spasmodically just off rangi wharf. 
Lots of panny snapper taking micro jig and softbaits - mostly smaller z man. Best about 45cm but most much smaller but fish for tea in shallows 3-8m. Lots small kahawaii - one was put on livebait rig - got smashed but livie was stolen before we could hook up properly. Nice morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 6:56pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Friday 17th Feb and Thursday 2nd March

Solo in Feb, stopped about half way from Browns to Motuihe Islands for KY feeding on the surface.  Caught 3 jack macks on jigs and put them in the live bait tank.  Put one down on a ledger rig hoping for snaps or kings but no success there.  Caught and released a medium KY.  Moved to Motuihe channel and deployed the jack mack livie and kept dropping jigs on the outgoing drift.  The livie caught a nice snapper just over 40cms, and jigs got 2 smaller ones and another over 40.  So 4 snapper on a fairly slow day.

Took George yesterday and took some bait this time, but drifting.  Spent most of the time in the Motuihe channel. Caught another nice snapper on a smelly old jack mack head from the freezer, a mid size snap on a silver/white fluoro 60g jig in the rod holder.  Couple of smaller snaps on bait for the same lame total of 4.  Mainly fishing 12 to 18m, but maybe have to go shallower.  Comments from Redfinger and Zane from Top Catch Takapuna say 5 to 8m is fishing well.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 9:14pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Friday 17th Feb and Thursday 2nd March

Solo in Feb, stopped about half way from Browns to Motuihe Islands for KY feeding on the surface.  Caught 3 jack macks on jigs and put them in the live bait tank.  Put one down on a ledger rig hoping for snaps or kings but no success there.  Caught and released a medium KY.  Moved to Motuihe channel and deployed the jack mack livie and kept dropping jigs on the outgoing drift.  The livie caught a nice snapper just over 40cms, and jigs got 2 smaller ones and another over 40.  So 4 snapper on a fairly slow day.

Took George yesterday and took some bait this time, but drifting.  Spent most of the time in the Motuihe channel. Caught another nice snapper on a smelly old jack mack head from the freezer, a mid size snap on a silver/white fluoro 60g jig in the rod holder.  Couple of smaller snaps on bait for the same lame total of 4.  Mainly fishing 12 to 18m, but maybe have to go shallower.  Comments from Redfinger and Zane from Top Catch Takapuna say 5 to 8m is fishing well.

seems like a pretty good result - many boaties in the inner harbour are struggling to get legal fish at the moment
No disintegrations!
Page  <1 388389390391392 393>